Author Topic: Customizing a Victorian Mansion  (Read 3927 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Re: Customizing a Victorian Mansion
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2022, 08:35:31 »
That's a fanrastic 1/4 turn staircase- it would be great to know how you made it!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2022, 11:04:09 »
Those stairs look amazing!

Offline Chotii

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2022, 15:32:52 »
The stairs were trial and error, and also cut the bejeezus out of my finger trimming off rough edges. :/

I have several surplus sets of stairs and their accompanying upper floor panels with the hole for the stairs. From the larger end of one of these, I cut the landing to be the same width and length as the two pieces of stair, plus a bit.

I cut a set of stairs at the desired point, removed a single stair from the shorter piece so the angles looked right, and attached it to one edge of the landing using cyanoacrylate and/or Plasti-Weld. Legs for the opposite edge of the landing came from the two thin edges of the floor panel. They support the bottom edge of the upper stairs and are glued in place, so the landing and lower stairs are freestanding.

Stair railings are trimmed sections of longer original pieces. They disguise some of the sins of creating without a plan. All the railings on the landing and lower stairs are glued in place.

In a couple of places I had to add little wedges of support plastic because I could not cut the angles I wanted safely with the saw I am using, so those wedges are plastic-welded in place.

As the second floor is set up to be open plan, these stairs will go there. Otherwise they stick out too far into the room.

A fun little project. Would do it again if the house had space for more.

Offline Chotii

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2022, 21:56:58 »
The wall of taxidermy.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2022, 15:14:24 »
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Chotii

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2022, 01:41:52 »
I may yet mount a moose head! First I have to find one though.  I know there is a moose in Wiltopia.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2022, 07:24:11 »
Your fingers (the ones still possessing a bejeezus) should watch out if you plan to decapitate a PM Moose!  :lol:

Thanks for the detailed description of the staircase construction, btw. :wave:

Offline Chotii

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2022, 21:15:29 »
Updates!  The exterior is finally complete!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 21:21:01 by Chotii »

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
  • Happy Little Victorians
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2022, 08:04:21 »
Your house is looking gorgeous  :love:
La, tout n'est qu'ordre et beaute, luxe, calme et volupte. L'Invitation au Voyage. Charles Baudelaire.1857.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2022, 09:06:48 »
Magnificent work! Love the taxidermy wall!

That faun in the third picture. Should watch out his head doesn't join the other 3 hornéd beasts!