Author Topic: 18th Century customs  (Read 6510 times)

Offline nunney

• Playmo Fanatic
Re: 18th Century customs
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 22:02:48 »
these are exceptional! how do you make your hair?

Offline Cloud Strife

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 22:16:46 »
Thanks, Tim/Tiermann, and nunney

I make the hair using Moldmaker or SuperElasitclay (the old name for it).  It is kind of like Sculpey but dries flexible so I prefer that since I'm a klutz and will drop and break anything like my avatar buddy.  I experimented with hollow centers for the hair which saves on clay but makes adding detail very tedious since they have a tendency to deflate.  So now I use solid clay all throughout and sculpt it on the Klicky head which makes it easier.  I make the sausage curls by rolling thin strips of clay and poke them at the ends using an arrow from the 4762 Archer with Target Special Plus.  After that, I microwave the whole mess in hot water for three minutes.  After cooling they are ready for embellishment.

Speaking of, agree with Tiermann that the orange-haired lady really could go Elizabethan/Blackadder and I haven't quite decided on the frou-frou to add.  Going through my bin of lace and trim scraps nothing seems to click (or Klick).  I'm headed to work tomorrow and I'll see what they have to throw out hoping there might be something for me to scavenge.

Offline Daniela

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 22:18:13 »
I love them ALL!!!  :love:

You are a wonderful artist!

Thank you for letting us enjoy your wonderful customs!

Daniela
Enjoy my Playmobil Opera and much more:
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/102361137865573914508

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 03:48:58 »
Great pics and great job with those women's wigs!  8-)

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Daniela

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 10:06:51 »
Do you paint the hair, or do you mix colors in the clay?

And do you microwave the wigs WITH the playmobil figure or only the wig?

I am wondering how Playmos reacts in the microwave?  ???
Daniela

Offline Georgeag1972

• Playmo Master
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 10:18:45 »
Wow!! Great customs and very realistic!! Excellent job, congrats!!

George. :)
  Your passion, is inspiration for us!!!!

Offline Cloud Strife

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 11:01:45 »
Thanks everyone for the kind words!  :-[

@Daniela, I had some colored Elasticlay so I used the colors first if I had them.  Normally Elasticlay comes cream-colored and these work perfectly for the light hair in the first pic, like lightly-powdered blonde hair.  I painted the grey-haired ladies after boiling and cooling with a mix of light grey acrylic and then a dry brush of darker grey for the streaks.

Speaking of boiling, I tried boiling just the head first but the hair will collapse on assembly so now I boil the entire Klicky already assembled.  There may be some fading but not all the time.  Sometimes there would be no fading at all sometimes it would fade the colors badly.  If it's a figure that has colors that I love or if the hair is small enough I just submerge the head part on already boiling water while holding the feet above water with tongs or chopsticks.  The detachable skirt parts should not get boiled because they will fade; also anything small and pliable like cuffs and soft capes and those white birds.  They don't do well at all in the heat.

I am always on the look out for new methods so by no means is this definitive so I will have to experiment with a hair dryer to "set" the clay or maybe rig a new contraption to suspend the Klicky above water.

BTW, please forgive if I'm mistaken Daniela, is the opera house yours?  I showed that creation to coworkers to prove that I am not so strange after all  :D, other people collect these too and have more than I do.   Look what they've done!  They were all duly impressed, as was I obviously, so now they don't hassle me anymore about my hobby.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 11:22:39 by Cloud Strife »

Offline Daniela

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 16:22:42 »
Thank you, very interesting possibilities...

And, yes, I am the one with the opera house.  :-[

Happy to hear, you like it.  :wave:

Thank you!

Daniela

Offline mwilbury

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2014, 00:17:15 »
I'm loving the photography as much as the figures.  Great job.

Offline DrDalek6

• Playmo Master
    • BTCV Mini Carbon Army
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2014, 12:16:17 »
Very nice those Dowegers do look a bit intmidating wouldn't want to cross some fo them the grey looks good on their hair. Some of the figures at the Harp concert look very good particularly the girl in the blue dress and the guy with the hooked hand, Also liking the Greek guy with the wings and that orange hair is brilliant great work   :)