Author Topic: PF Username Origins  (Read 17564 times)

Offline Ronastoo

• Playmo Lover
  • MamaDragon
Re: PF Username Origins
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 07:51:30 »
Years and years ago in the early days of online time-wasting I belonged to Delphi with the username Ronas (my first name and last initial.)  At that time the cost was $20 for 20 hours of online time.  I could burn through 20 hours of online time-wasting in a few days and then the cost was MUCH more than $1 an hour for the rest of the month.  But, you could have multiple accounts for $20 for 20 hours and so Ronastoo was born.  When the Ronas time was used up I just switched over to Ronastoo.  When I tried to join a couple of other forums the username Ronas was already taken so I continued to use Ronastoo and that's who I've been ever since.  (It was also interesting that a large number of people thought I was Ron, a male, and were always surprised to find out that Ronastoo is a MamaDragon.)
~Rona S
Rona MamaDragon

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 08:09:52 »

BTW ... Did you ever tell us your real name? ... ;)

Very well.  Fair is fair.  If everyone else is revealing their secret identities (which wasn't the point of this thread, really), I shall do so as well:  Dan

I think Indianna knows my true identity from when I bought some Playmobil from her on eBay, but either she didn't make the connection or she very politely refrained from using my real name in PF.

Growing up, I was known as Danny, but as I got older, I decided it wasn't adult-sounding enough.  I tried Daniel for a while, but that was a bit too formal, so I finally settled on Dan.  The name Daniel comes from the Bible and means "God is my judge," but I suspect my father named me after Danny Kaye or Danny Thomas both of whom were popular around the time I was born.  My father passed away years ago, and I never asked him, so I'll never know for sure.

Anyway, I am enjoying getting to know everyone at a slightly deeper level than just as a fellow Playmobil lover and collector.  I find names and their meanings fascinating.  Gepetto, I thought you were always a kindly toymaker type (hence the name); I never knew you were trying to escape a dark and violent past!   :lol:

KM (or Dan...I feel like Batman or Spider-Man taking off his mask...)
CARPE KLICKY!

Offline highlandcattle

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 11:12:21 »
My name originates from the days that I was playing a lot of videogames. When I was about 16, I was heavy into Jeff Minters psychedelic video games (www.llamasoft.co.uk). Because Jeff called himself the Yak, everybody else also had a sort of animal name. I chose highlandcattle because I just had met that fine species a year before in the scottisch highlands on a volunteer boyscout camp (fixin fences,doing chores and drinking lots of beer.)

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 13:39:52 »

Anyway, I am enjoying getting to know everyone at a slightly deeper level than just as a fellow Playmobil lover and collector.  I find names and their meanings fascinating.  Gepetto, I thought you were always a kindly toymaker type (hence the name); I never knew you were trying to escape a dark and violent past!   :lol:

KM (or Dan...I feel like Batman or Spider-Man taking off his mask...)

Well the sinister aspect was all in my wife's imagination, I find that Citadel Miniatures (parent of Warhammer) has some extremely dark threads running through it, I would hate to know what some of their people dream of. I like to think that Gepetto was an unconcious choice that better reflected my interests!

Gepetto   "The Untroubled"

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 13:43:59 »

I am still working on a Playmobil version of my avatar but am not there quite yet.

Hello, Gepetto ...  :wave:

I worked on mine for a long time. Lots of people helped (both here at PF and at GW-PC). Finally Jochen (Little Jo) designed the avatar that I've now been using for quite awhile. He's a genius with avatars. Unfortunately, we haven't seen him here lately. He might answer a PM. (Just a suggestion.)

BTW ... I too loved Warhammer! (The colorful ones: Brettonia, Empire, Elves, Dwarfs, etc. ... not the dark and evil ones.)

All the best,
Richard

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 15:56:41 »
... and Silvano is from Silvanus, or "of the forest".

Same Latin origins as my first name. ;)

When I was growing up I wasn't happy to be the only girl called Sylvia at my school. There were lots of far trendier names like Tracey, Kelly, Lisa, etc. The only other people I met who shared my name were in their 60s or older, so I got the feeling it was old-fashioned.

Later on I became very interested in the meanings of names, and imagine my delight when I discovered "Sylvia" was not really such a boring name after all... I was actually a graceful "wood nymph," or a magical "forest fairy" (depending on the source). ;D

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2009, 07:39:11 »
Same Latin origins as my first name. ;)

When I was growing up I wasn't happy to be the only girl called Sylvia at my school. There were lots of far trendier names like Tracey, Kelly, Lisa, etc. The only other people I met who shared my name were in their 60s or older, so I got the feeling it was old-fashioned.

Later on I became very interested in the meanings of names, and imagine my delight when I discovered "Sylvia" was not really such a boring name after all... I was actually a graceful "wood nymph," or a magical "forest fairy" (depending on the source). ;D

I have always thought that "Sylvia" is a very lovely, elegant name.  It's the trendy names that are boring.
CARPE KLICKY!

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 08:02:32 »
kaethe just chided me for not giving her credit for the "Mobilius" part of my username.  It was so long ago, I guess I forgot she helped.   :-[  When it comes to remembering events, women have better recall than men.   :-\
CARPE KLICKY!

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 10:35:50 »
Feeling left out as my real name is Martin Milner. I've always used my real name on forums until very recently as I'm a very honest straightforward and naive person. I now also use the title Englishman in Eugene, a reference to Sting's song Englishman in New York.

I don't drink coffee I take tea my dear
I like my toast done on one side
And you can hear it in my accent when I talk
I'm an Englishman in New York

However, Milner is an anagram of Merlin, and besides the magical connotations, Merlin and Martin are both types of birds. My favorite Football team is the Philadelphia Eagles, and when I get to Eugene in another month my local college team will be the Oregon Ducks, so there's a bit of a bird theme going on.

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 12:24:36 »

I like my toast done on one side

However, Milner is an anagram of Merlin, and besides the magical connotations, Merlin and Martin are both types of birds. My favorite Football team is the Philadelphia Eagles, and when I get to Eugene in another month my local college team will be the Oregon Ducks, so there's a bit of a bird theme going on.

I'm not familiar with toast being done on one side.  Could you explain, Martin?

I like your bird theme.
CARPE KLICKY!