Author Topic: Ye Gods! An Olympian Appreciation  (Read 10133 times)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
Re: Ye Gods! An Olympian Appreciation
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 05:20:42 »
Almost forgot! Here's the printing difference between Tropical Zeus and Arctic Zeus!

Don't forget that other pictures and opinions are welcome in this thread!
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 06:07:05 »
Next up: Hera, Queen of the Gods! (NB: If you bought the Roman version of this klicky, she is named Juno! :D)

I've never really had a firm image of what Hera would look like, but this klicky strikes me as a very good take on her! She really does look like a queen of the gods, with gold all over, a fancy crown, and a staff of royalty, like Zeus has but different. Her totem animal is nice peacock, and the fruit she holds is - note well! - a pomegranate, NOT an apple!  :apple: :whip:

Nice little detailing on her crown.

A sensible, dignified hairdo.

Her dress underneath her cloak is a good looking Greek/Roman dress that would work perfectly for a civilian custom!

Given so much gold, I'm mildly surprised they didn't give her gold shoes, but the brown ones are fine.

So there we have it!

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2021, 06:07:26 »
While we're here, I'd like to discuss Hera's cloak thing.

This item has appeared in several different colors and on a number of klickies - on playmodb they're listed under the term Sari:

https://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/textsearch.pl?sortby=description&page=1&text=sari&lang=en&pics=on

which is appropriate because I think its first appearance was with the Hindu princess in Fi?ures Series 3 - k5244e - Indian Woman

This item can be worn in either direction, over the left or the right shoulder, but note that there is a difference between the two sides:

You can see that when worn over the right shoulder, the vertical part goes OVER the sash part, while when worn over the left shoulder the vertical part goes UNDER the sash. To me it makes more sense to have the sash going OVER the vertical over the front of the body. Also, the vertical part that goes over is LONGER than the vertical part that goes under.

It makes more sense to me that the long vertical part would be worn at the BACK. Taking these observations together with the fact that such sashes, togas, saris etc. are usually worn so that the right arm has greater freedom (people being mostly right-handed), it seems to me certain that the proper way to wear this sari is over the LEFT shoulder.

However two points militate against my understanding. One is that the "correct" front often has mold marks visible from the manufacturing process, which are something you want to hide away, not put at the front:

The second point is that, although the first two klickies to wear this sari - the Hindu princess and the second Roman family woman (6493 - Roman Family) - wore it over the left shoulder, several klickies since then have worn it over their right shoulder! Namely k5461c - South American Woman, one of the 9497 - Three Wise Kings, Hera, Demeter and Hestia. Whereas Athena and the Joseph in 5588 - Nativity Stable with Manger wear it over their left shoulder.

Anyway all that is to say that I, personally, have decided I like it over the left shoulder only, so with Hera here, and going forward with the rest of the goddesses, I will be dressing them that way and NOT the way depicted on the box art! This is my bold choice.

Offline drbatesy

• Playmo Fanatic
    • Early Modern Playmobil
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 23:01:59 »
I just wanted to acknowledge how much I'm enjoying your reviews (and cartoons), Macruran! Keep them coming!

Steve.

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2021, 05:19:30 »
Thanks, sorry the pics are rubbish, next time I need to work on making them all the same size so they fit properly in the page.  :camera:

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2021, 13:59:04 »
Great detail on the sari, Macruran. I hadn't realised it could be worn two ways. I am a left-shouldrian like you, but its a shame about those moulding marks.  :(
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2021, 15:25:10 »
Thanks for another detailed review :)

However two points militate against my understanding. One is that the "correct" front often has mold marks visible from the manufacturing process, which are something you want to hide away, not put at the front:

It does not surprise. At all.  ::)

I am a left-shouldrian like you, but its a shame about those moulding marks.  :(

:lmao: :lmao:

Offline drbatesy

• Playmo Fanatic
    • Early Modern Playmobil
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2021, 21:01:40 »
Here is a three-minute video from the University of Leicester endorsing your position on togas, Macruran!  :wow:

https://youtu.be/0EyStjkII-Y

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2021, 07:26:38 »
Here is a three-minute video from the University of Leicester endorsing your position on togas, Macruran!  :wow:

https://youtu.be/0EyStjkII-Y

:(o):

Great detail on the sari, Macruran. I hadn't realised it could be worn two ways. I am a left-shouldrian like you, but its a shame about those moulding marks.  :(

The Gnome responsible for that should issue a public apology. He or she should come out and say clearly, "I am very sari for what I did"

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2021, 07:35:24 »
The Gnome responsible for that should issue a public apology. He or she should come out and say clearly, "I am very sari for what I did"

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

(ok, in truth, the situation is NOT funny.. but..)