Poll

what is/would be my favourite construction system?

plain old steck
14 (35.9%)
a revised and improved steck
12 (30.8%)
plain old system-x
2 (5.1%)
a revised and improved system-x
5 (12.8%)
a totally new system yet to exist
1 (2.6%)
i really don't care, i just want great sets
5 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: July 02, 2010, 17:30:22

Author Topic: STECK vs. SYSTEM-X, a poll  (Read 10542 times)

Offline socrates

• Geobra Gourmet
  • Playmo Master
Re: STECK vs. SYSTEM-X, a poll
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 08:47:20 »
I don't think that building with SysX is slower than with steck.
I don't know how you are building, but once the connectors are plugged in, the building is exactly like with steck.

Steck is a cool system, without doubt, but it has some flaws also. Especially, I dislike the sockets that hold the floors and starwairs. They have a tendency to break. There I love SysX because almost all parts that can break can very easily be replaced. I have a lot of broken steck floors at home, but never ever a broken piece of SysX.
If Playmobil would decide top reintroduce Steck I would be happy. But I would like to have all these nice features from SysX. I just feel that the way of SysX replacing Steck is the more realistic one (in terms of Playmobil basically discontinued steck almost 10 years ago now!), and I do like the new SysX-castles (esp. the rock castle and except of the huge junk pieces). If they would keep it more modular, SysX would be just as flexible as steck was.

Several people are complaining about the walls falling apart with the Kings Castle. I do not have this one, but clearly this is a flaw that can be improved. Either by an additional connector slot or simply by introducing a more rigid connector. They have something like this already!
The owners of the Kings Castle should try these connectors:
30 26 1780 - System X plug

I would bet, the walls hold together more strongly.

best,
socrates
"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."
— Hans Christian Andersen

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 09:01:15 »
I don't think that building with SysX is slower than with steck.
I don't know how you are building, but once the connectors are plugged in, the building is exactly like with steck.

I dislike the connectors but think I have to agree with you on the building speed Socrates. However it is grudgingly *grin* (just kidding)

It is probably my perception that building with Steck is faster because:

A) I have more Steck so I don't have to plan as much and I can keep building and building and building!

B) My Steck is sorted, as it all recently arrived I know where everything is. My SysX is spread over several boxes, a lot is in our entrance and then some is still to be sorted or part of when we build the set fot the first time.

So yeah I will agree that the building speed is probably the same. I don't know, I guess I must agree with WoT, Steck is just awesome!

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 11:05:04 »
Perhaps it is just me, but I find building with system-x more time consuming. 
On large projects I usually find putting in the last piece of wall difficult without destroying the rest of the building. 
I admit that it does look better for modern buildings but I don't like the holes and even filling these with a plug would be time consuming. 
However one of my main dislikes is having to put all the connectors in place to start with, and hoovering the day after is a nightmare as there are always stray yellow connectors waiting to jump up the hoover.
I suspect that in years to come archaeologist will discover small yellow pieces of plastic (together with hama-beads) and wonder what on earth they could have been used for!   ???   ;D ;D
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 13:41:19 »
I recently put together the 3079 Space Station, a System X construction.

I was planning to do a photo review of the building process, and the finished set, but it was so exhausting and time consuming putting it together I ran out of energy!

The finished building looks very good, and the sys-X holes look alright, but goodness me, the horrid process of getting all those connectors in place.

This space station was the second one from Playmobil, but the first Playmo Space series wasn't Steck, more of a clip system.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 13:47:40 »
Several people are complaining about the walls falling apart with the Kings Castle. I do not have this one, but clearly this is a flaw that can be improved. Either by an additional connector slot or simply by introducing a more rigid connector. They have something like this already!
The owners of the Kings Castle should try these connectors:
30 26 1780 - System X plug

I would bet, the walls hold together more strongly.

Unfortunately it won't really help. The problem is that some wall pieces are too large and heavy for the number of connections between them, so they still fall apart even if you use every possible connection joint. In other places, such as a corner tower, once you've put the tower together it's very hard to take apart again.

The flimsiness of Sys-X may have been a response to complaints that Steck did not come apart easily enough, and so occasionally got broken by rough handling, but I suspect it's just a design flaw. The newer click buildings are clearly designed to avoid this problem, by being so securely held together that they can be picked up and carried about as if they were one moulded piece.

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2010, 18:25:36 »
 hello playmo1989, i also disagree with you - if you add new "inside" plates on each floor the resistance of system-x will be suficient.
remember that system-x works over an "outside" base plate that can be easily "slided" in a polished floor.

i don't understand what do you mean here  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ i guess my english is not so good

I WAS WONDERING IS SYSTEMX MORE EXPENSIVE THAN STECK IS ?? i compare the two castle prices the 3666 costed 120 euro and the lion castle 200 euro accually they are two different sets but of the same size and theme  what do you think??
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2010, 14:51:01 »
OK, following this discussion I tried a little playing/customising with my SysX...
Atleast with the 3 pieces that I have! ::)
And Ill admit that it is not that much harder to customise then Steck.
But for me, it just does not look right!
It's not the holes, it just... doesn't feel right. It looks to little kiddish. :P
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline Coyote

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2010, 01:14:01 »
I dunno, I love system X-  but then I love steck too.  I just wish they'd settle on a system-  I am very much opposed to a system that isn't customizable. 
  Peoples Republic of Maine  :D

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2010, 08:21:12 »
It's rather simple for me - I hate the plugs and I hate the holes of System-X. And with all the diiferent parts it takes quite some planning before you order.
That's why I prefer Steck. It's easier to build up and it's better looking.

But that's my own 0.02 worth ...

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2010, 15:48:04 »
It's rather simple for me - I hate the plugs and I hate the holes of System-X. And with all the diiferent parts it takes quite some planning before you order.
That's why I prefer Steck. It's easier to build up and it's better looking.

But that's my own 0.02 worth ...

Bogro

but why they discontinioud steck? perhaps because systemx is a bit simular to lego ?? what company is the best in sales lego or playmobil??
The spirits rule !!!!