Author Topic: Series 15  (Read 3385 times)

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
Re: Series 15
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 17:17:17 »
Wow, you're a pro! I'm terrible at feeling out the ones I want. Thanks for sharing photos! It's nice to see them "up close."

Offline leefert

• Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 17:39:03 »
There are some very nice torsos in there!  Thanks for sharing them.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one :)

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 17:57:35 »
Uhmm ... isn't Tahra supposed to present this? ;)

Thanks for the crisp pictures. I'll be back with some comments later.

I'm getting better "feeling" the series-bags and found at a local store all 24 figures from series 15 in about 40 minutes. Maybe I'll get a call from Guinness World Records. ;D

Well done! A virgin display, I guess? But I challenge you: Let's organize a contest this summer!

Best wishes
StJohn

Offline Luftgaengerin

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 18:41:05 »
Thanks everyone!

Uhmm ... isn't Tahra supposed to present this? ;)

Absolutely right StJohn! Tahra HAST TO present this PROPERLY, I just made some pics :P
She'll give lots of useful comments, show the details, and make suggestions about how to improve the figures: the "to keep" section!
I'm just an amateur who can "feel" the bags (no "virgin" display, rather a big round container in the shop) I'm in for a contest this summer! ;D

:wave:
"Give me that man that is not passion’s slave" - Shakespeare's Hamlet.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 19:26:03 »
Wow.

Thank you for the detailed pics.

Now.. HOW can you be so freaking FAST!?  :o   It takes me FOREVER and EVER  :-[ :-[ :-[
(speaking of which, still have those 77 pics and a page to sort in the XMAS dio.  :-\ )

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 20:35:31 »
Something is off, this time. If not with the Figures, then with me: I just haven't been motivated enough to go back for more after getting just three bags on launch day, last Friday ("Redhead" - as per Luftgaengerin, Sleepwalker, and Stoner). This is odd.

Perhaps it was the uncomfortable level of disappointment upon assembling Redhead. I had been looking forward to him, but, I'm sorry to say, am now of the opinion that he is poorly designed. Pointless metal on his arms, mainly. My surroundings also tell me that the beard is just too much, and they are right: It would fit a dwarf, or some fanciful character, but it isn't appropriate if the goal was to present a 'historical' figure in the league of the holy Series 6 Highlander. He simply doesn't compare, even after adjustments (highlanders 5458 [original], 9202 [amended] and 70025 [amended] together):

The colour is newish, first seen with the dwarfs, I believe. I'm not sure whether it is nice, though. The printed tartan pattern seems modern to me, but I am no expert in this. Any ideas?

Another, more fundamental issue that I want to raise is the fixed peg on the side of the body:

I came across it before (one - or both? - of the tomb robbers in 5387; the female dwarf in 6588). It clearly substitutes the hole where a detachable peg - or a gun holster - can be fitted, and is - I suppose - easier for play (i.e., fewer small parts that can get lost). But the fixed peg prevents the arm from rotating 360°! It obstructs the figure's inherent flexibility!! It sins against the original design!!! Hans Beck certainly would not have approved. :-[ And there is nothing we can do about it, because Geobra forbids any physical modification of the figure parts. So, for me, quite unusually, one of this figure is quite enough.

Still, I will be back for more. But perhaps not tomorrow.

Best wishes
StJohn

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 20:45:54 »
I don't have the figures yet...

The colour is newish, first seen with the dwarfs, I believe. I'm not sure whether it is nice, though.

I really like the color... No idea about accuracy though (and everyone knows I don't much care by now, right?  :P )

Another, more fundamental issue that I want to raise is the fixed peg on the side of the body:

I completely agree. I can't do anything with it. Just a pouch, like you did... and the cops guns are... passable. But that is pointless for ancient, right?  A sword means the klicky can't move... same with a quiver.. 

Meh. The only positive thing about it is that it's easy enough to cut.  >:(

Offline bml87

• Mayor of Deadwood
  • Playmo Addict
  • Collecting Western and animal themes.
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 21:43:48 »
Thanks for sharing all the figures! For those who experience troubles with sorting them out: if you're lucky like me; in Belgium most shops just put the cases on the racks (they don't mix the bags). If you are the first one to find these cases, you are a very lucky person! Because the bags are grouped per 4:

So the only thing you have to do, is feel the bags per group ;) ! Once you have found a Figure you really want, you can always check the codes on the back of the bag. Per case 1 Figure has the same codes on all the 4 bags (so if you have a look at my picture, group A has the same codes, group B, group C, ...), this should help you to get your favourite figure(s) multiple times! That's how I do it and it always works!

By the way, I will also post it here, but the lady in blue appears to be the Queen!
Boris from Belgium - My collection - My dioramas:  Western Town II & North American forest

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 22:06:06 »
Generally speaking Boris is right about case layouts. Sometimes a few bags shift during transit and end up on top or the front, and sometimes cases aren't evenly packed with extra of some and missing others.

I thought the Queen figure looked really familiar, reminds me of a custom photo that has been around for a while with a similar figure in a group of the red guards, don't remember who did the photo but I have seen it in multiple places.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2019, 09:54:47 »
.... And sometimes you get 8 of one figure and none of another (that was a while ago, Series 4, the only time I ever bought a case).

I am very lazy about the figures series now. Since about series 8, I have bought complete sets (24 figures, all ready-opened bags) on eBay, from the same seller. They work out slightly more expensive than getting them from a toyshop*, but there are no duplicates and rarely any missing pieces (though duplicate parts ARE left in :)). One day I might set up a UK co-op to mirror Tiermann's US one, but buying on eBay works for me.

I won't ever be able to compete with Tahra when it comes to showing pics of the figures. I give my wife the 12 girls figures issued in January on her birthday (April) and the 12 July figures at Christmas. She gives me the boy figures in May and at Christmas. Then they all go on display together! But we are always MONTHS behind Tahra in actually assembling the figures!

* the people in our local toyshop are very helpful so it's difficult to stand there for 4 minutes feeling the bags, let alone 40 minutes, without someone asking if they can help you. Seems too embarrassing to carry on feeling after that...

At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)