Author Topic: How does this work?  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
Re: How does this work?
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 19:26:54 »
Hmm-part 2 ...

My translater says "vine" is "wijnstok" or "wingerd" in Dutch/Flemish... ??? That's the thing were  grapes grow on! It can't be that, surely? Who grows grapes/grapevines on the wall of a pavillion... 8}

I'm rather certain a kind of "klimop" (Dutch word) is what Geobra intended the leaves to represent, and my translater says that the English word for it is "ivy"... ???

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline conniefrere

• Playmo Master
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 19:39:32 »
Both vine (druivenplant) and ivy (klimop) can be called klimplanten (=vine), according to wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vine and click nederlands.
:playmo: :egypt: :roman: :builder: :playmo:

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 20:10:13 »
Vine is a genetic word for any plant that grows clinging to a wall or up the side of a tree, wrapping around a pole or trellis, etc. At least, that is how it is commonly used, whether it's entirely accurate or not.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline conniefrere

• Playmo Master
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 20:16:44 »
Vine is a genetic word for any plant that grows clinging to a wall or up the side of a tree, wrapping around a pole or trellis, etc. At least, that is how it is commonly used, whether it's entirely accurate or not.

Exactly my point! :D now i'm sure
:playmo: :egypt: :roman: :builder: :playmo:

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 22:04:50 »
Ah, thanks for explaining!
So "vine" is used for all kinds of similar climbing-up plants, now I get it.  :)

I know the word "vineyard", and "vino" (I studied Latin many years ago) means wine, plus my translator (he is fired now) referred only to grapes, so I was just thinking about grapevines.

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!