Author Topic: An odd tree  (Read 5878 times)

Offline gloobey

• Playmo Fanatic
    • My Illustration Website
Re: An odd tree
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 03:47:52 »
Thanks Knight Train! I wonder where that part came from...I'll have to do some searching.
What's the point of going, if you can't get there on a train?

Offline highlandcattle

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 07:10:51 »
Yes thank you Knight-train,
It looks like 1.5 high steck walls and the roof is the one from the pre-steck Western houses. The small roof on top of that is also from the pre-steck western buildings, it is one of those small roofs above doors.
I would give links to playmoDB but it sees offline at the moment.

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 17:04:00 »
I love looking at these old photo layouts - thanks for posting this one, Knight Train! 

As to the roof on that shed building, I think it looks like a piece of cardboard with lines drawn on and then folded along the ridge line.  If you compare its appearance to the other roof pieces in the same picture, it doesn't seem to have the same thicker edges and it also seems to be a little deformed toward the left hand side of the photo (though that could be due to the surface of the box being slightly bent.) 

Gepetto's "wafer houses" sure are funny looking - it looks like they used one section of steck wall for the sides.  There appear to be five buildings done this way in the right side picture and one in the left side picture.  Freaky!   8}
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 17:41:04 »
I like the 'wafer houses' in that you get a full facade of the building and the house has a sense of depth without taking up too much room, especially around the edge of a scene.

I think highland cattle is right and that the little roof on top of the shed comes from set 3767 - Schoolhouse, part number 30 60 753.

Offline gloobey

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 22:05:42 »
Ah, thanks for clarifying that everyone. I don't have the schoolhouse building (yet!) and haven't encountered that piece before. Just when you think you've seen it all, another mystery piece shows up.

I use the wafer houses on my train layout wherever I have a row of building against the wall. It does save space and hides the wall at the same time.

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 22:57:06 »
That small green roof piece is also very similar in size and shape to the dog house roof which came in black and dark red.  What do you think about the large brown roof, though?  I don't know of any old buildings with brown roofs - the old western buildings and railroad sheds were brown with smooth, dark green, sectioned roofs.  I still say that is a piece of cardboard!   :yup:

Offline gloobey

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 02:57:25 »
The dog house part could work, that's a great idea.

As far as that roof piece goes, there's the 3427 farm house, and 3428 horse barn. They both have a brown roof that looks similar. You can see pics of both under the "western" section on www.collectobil.com

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 05:38:31 »
The dog house part could work, that's a great idea.

As far as that roof piece goes, there's the 3427 farm house, and 3428 horse barn. They both have a brown roof that looks similar. You can see pics of both under the "western" section on www.collectobil.com

The texture of those roofs look different, more like boards. The roof to the treehouse has a more similar texture and since the roof is only visible from one side the hole may not be apparent.

Gepetto

Offline pingo

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 12:02:20 »
I'm just not into baby blue cars

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 14:41:06 »
Gloobey, thanks for the info about those old roofs - I had never noticed those before!  I wish Playmobil still used those for something as they are very appealing!

Thanks, Pingo, for your excellent research!  There is the doghouse roof in green and it is probably the same piece as was used on the school house.  You also proved what I was wondering, that the treehouse roof came much later than the vintage of the train layout photo. 

Gepetto, that was a good idea about the treehouse roof, though it does appear to have come along much later in time.  Even so, the tree house roof has some distinct "3-dimensionality" to it where the brown roof in the photo is really flat - if you look really closely at the photo and compare the brown roof to the little green roof piece, I think you can see what I mean - the two pieces catch the light differently.  I hate to be stubborn, but I still say the brown roof is cardboard!    :yup:  :)