Author Topic: old curve sabers  (Read 14107 times)

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
Re: old curve sabers
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 04:21:47 »
Ideally I try for a balance of accuracy, descriptiveness, plain English suitable for the auto-translators (I get quite a few hits through Babelfish and the like!) and searchability, but many or all of those often get ditched in the interest of just getting the darn thing done.

As a student of (old) Latin, and English ... & a bit of Italian ... And, recently, a bit of German (because of Playmobil, all right, but also due to some experiments in my own literature ... and, well, this last part allows me to say that not so recently ...) ... (Although I never intended to actually learn German, until now -- & still don't, 'cause I still have to go more seriously into Czech ...), I can say that the Babelfish & the like is so awkward that, unless because of literary purpose, maybe you shouldn't worry much about it ... Translations will go as they may. By the way, your work is great, there, on the db :)

Gus
 :wave:
Gus
:blackhair:

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 04:25:57 »
BTW, "saber" and "sabre" are both correct.

Which made me think of sabertooth tiger (although we aren't playing the "Freudian Word Association game" here, exactly, but down there in the pfz ;) because the cat's name is very proper ... One could quite customize a prehistoric cat like that with this kind of saber, and a playmotiger ... :)

Only an idea that ocurred me--
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 04:42:28 by Gustavo »
Gus

Offline Pyrrhus

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Che Clickara
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 04:42:12 »
Hi Gustavo, sorry by not passing you what I promised...  :-[ I would do in next days...

With respect to the sabertooths, it should be good, but there are two problems:

-the Playmobil sabers are generally silver or gold, unlike teeth.
-the edged border in the felid's tooth was the concave one, while those of sabers is mostly the convex one.

However, this last problem may be solved by using a mutilated scythe blade (there must be someone, I think, in the old Playmobil Medieval series; I think that scythe was also whitish, thus conforming good to the tooth color).

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 04:53:10 »
Hi Gustavo, sorry by not passing you what I promised...  :-[ I would do in next days...

Never mind ... Make it when you can, and we will all be happy ;)

With respect to the sabertooths, it should be good, but there are two problems:

-the Playmobil sabers are generally silver or gold, unlike teeth.
-the edged border in the felid's tooth was the concave one, while those of sabers is mostly the convex one.

:hmm:
~ Concerning the first problem, it's just that I remembered that some of my old ones lost their silver painting, and became completely discoloured, just like bone (or teeth) colour ...
~ Concerning the second, it would have to be the half part of the blade; we'd have to cut the blade, in about an inch. Anyway, I'm not sure I quite understood your concave/convex explaination 8} ... if you do it in Spanish, maybe I will manage to understand, -- & maybe not ::) ;D

G.--
 :)
Gus

Offline Pyrrhus

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Che Clickara
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 05:21:19 »
Hi Gus, yes, perhaps it was badly explained. True, many saber are white under the chromings.

The saber blade has two main borders, one dull, the other edged, as a knife. As the saber is curved, necessarily there must be one concave and other convex.

Two curved blades are the saber and the scythe. In the saber, the border bearing a cutting edge is the convex, the concave being dull, while in the scythe, the reverse is the case. I said that the cutting edge was the concave in the scythe, while the reverse is truth for the saber.

The sabertooth's tooth is slightly compressed from side to side (never to the degree of a saber or scythe), and as it is curved, it has also one concave and one convex borders (posterior and anterior respectively). The posterior border (concave) is the most acute and cutting, and the cutting edge ocuppies it nearly entirely (only the distalmost portion of the convex anterior border bears a cutting edge, the rest is dull).

So, the sabertooth tooth is most similar to the scythe in that the blade border that cuts the better is the concave, opposite to the condition in the saber.

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 15:32:36 »
The saber blade has two main borders, one dull, the other edged, as a knife. As the saber is curved, necessarily there must be one concave and other convex.

Two curved blades are the saber and the scythe. In the saber, the border bearing a cutting edge is the convex, the concave being dull, while in the scythe, the reverse is the case. I said that the cutting edge was the concave in the scythe, while the reverse is truth for the saber.

The sabertooth's tooth is slightly compressed from side to side (never to the degree of a saber or scythe), and as it is curved, it has also one concave and one convex borders (posterior and anterior respectively). The posterior border (concave) is the most acute and cutting, and the cutting edge ocuppies it nearly entirely (only the distalmost portion of the convex anterior border bears a cutting edge, the rest is dull).

So, the sabertooth tooth is most similar to the scythe in that the blade border that cuts the better is the concave, opposite to the condition in the saber.

Oh, I get your point 8} ... But mate: It's playmobil ... It isn't sharp at all! ::) :P lol!

G.--
 8-)
Gus

Offline Pyrrhus

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Che Clickara
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 17:20:07 »
I'm sorry by being somewhat boring and argument-belligerant, these are really things I try not to do, but I have to differ...

The cutting border in the old curve saber (30 06 0720) is much more acute than the other border, which is much dull and, if the word fits for an edge, "blunt". Indeed, it is the most acutely edged sword in the Playmobil repertory, as far as I know, as all other swords I have, for example, the new straight saber (30 06 0710), the medieval swords 30 07 6410,
30 07 6420, and 30 24 7480 (as well as the sword your avatar is using, the oldest model I remember, whose name I do not have), the Roman gladius (30 20 4560) and the indeterminate scimitar/falchion (30 21 0920), have dull cutting edges.

That made of it the best sword of Playmobil for me, the one which I miss the most. Here it is the link Richard gave me, with many of these numbers: http://www.playmodb.org/cgi-bin/showpart.pl?partnum=30+06+0720

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 18:25:09 »
I'm sorry by being somewhat boring and argument-belligerant, these are really things I try not to do, but I have to differ...

Argument-belligerant, no doubt.
You aren't boring ... You're funny. 8-) We're having fun ...

It's maybe the thinniest Playmobil blade, no doubt ... But I don't remember it having the front part sharper than the back ... (Although, no doubt, an original, in which the playmoone was based, would have.) It was very ... flat, but round ... quite oval, in a cut.

(Different from the sword of the moors below, that I remember to be (almost) triangular in shape, if cut ...)
Gus

Offline Pyrrhus

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Che Clickara
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008, 19:06:22 »
 ;D ;D thanks for the understanding, Gus.

Well, thus I would differ again :0. All sabers and the "scimitar" you show there have a border thicker than the other (this latter being the cutting one). The blade of the old curve saber (30 06 0720) is not so thin to me when compared to other swords (but the cutting edge is), although I once had a Troll old saber and I remember it may be somewhat thinner than the Antex saber of which I have most units.... Indeed, I think this old saber is most triangular in cross-section than both the straight saber and the "scimitar/falchion", whiose cross-section is relatively more elongate.

Another thing: I really hate  >:( that "scimitar" or falchion (30 21 0920), not only by being gold-coloured (they are not of the Bronze age!! :hissyfit:), but also because I think the extremes of the guard are curved opposite the way they were curved in reality: that on the side of the convex, cutting edge, would curve towards the handle, while that on the dull side would curve towards the blade, the opposite we can see in the actual Playmobil part.

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 19:27:59 »
Well, thus I would differ again :0. All sabers and the "scimitar" you show there have a border thicker than the other (this latter being the cutting one). The blade of the old curve saber (30 06 0720) is not so thin to me when compared to other swords (but the cutting edge is), although I once had a Troll old saber and I remember it may be somewhat thinner than the Antex saber of which I have most units.... Indeed, I think this old saber is most triangular in cross-section than both the straight saber and the "scimitar/falchion", whiose cross-section is relatively more elongate.

Aw, right. If they ever do Playmobil in Brasil again, I hope it's like in the US: "Quality and Safety Tested: Made in Europe".

Another thing: I really hate  >:( that "scimitar" or falchion (30 21 0920), not only by being gold-coloured (they are not of the Bronze age!! :hissyfit:), but also because I think the extremes of the guard are curved opposite the way they were curved in reality: that on the side of the convex, cutting edge, would curve towards the handle, while that on the dull side would curve towards the blade, the opposite we can see in the actual Playmobil part.

C'mon!: they're so pretty the golden scimitars ... 8-)

G.--
 :)

(Is there anything worse than adults messing up with children stuff?? :lol: I used to have a lot of fun back then as a child! ... ;) )

(But I admit: I absolutely HATE the HAT of the "don Capitán", in the new pirate set 4294 ... It's so improperly adapted! / I think all of us have our annoyances, don't we? :-\ )
Gus