Author Topic: Playmobil collaboration with zoo’s  (Read 645 times)

Offline Eplay

• Playmo Lover
Playmobil collaboration with zoo’s
« on: January 28, 2024, 09:11:55 »
We’ve just booked a 5 day vacation to a lodge in a safari themed park/zoo in the Netherlands. I’m probably going to gift my kids some safari animals I already have (instead of buying souvenirs).
This got me thinking. I really dislike all the souvenirs they always have in the zoo shops. All those stuffed animals, not so cheap trinkets, mugs and keychains. (Except for books, I love books).
Why doesn’t playmobil collaborate with different zoo's? Each zoo has their own special animals. (In the Netherlands the gorilla Bokito was famous). When a baby elephant e.g. gets born it’s always in the news. They can sell animal sets at the zoo and make it a special. Put the zoo logo on the packaging and make a poster (special edition to celebrate the birth of …..) and voila.
It’s not like they haven’t done collaborations like this before. The Rijksmuseum has a long standing collaboration that we love.
https://www.rijksmuseumshop.nl/nl/kinderen/playmobil

Let me know what you think.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Re: Playmobil collaboration with zoo’s
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2024, 10:02:12 »
Excellent idea! We don't go to zoos much, or 'Safari Parks' as they are often called in the UK, but one thing they have in common seems to be massive Gift Shops, as you said. I don't recall ever seeing PM animals for sale. Even without a special promo, it would be possible for them to sell the individually-packed Wiltopia beasts.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2024, 06:27:54 »
I guess the only counterargument would be that you can't really sell different instances of the same animal, there's only one PM elephant, one gorilla, etc. So you couldn't have Bokito and also Harambe (or whoever). Maybe paint jobs?
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 09:21:38 »
I've definitely seen generic Playmobil zoo sets in real zoo gift shops

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 12:28:20 »
Yes, our Zoo in Antwerp has a few big Playmobil safari sets, and also some Schleich ones.
I've often wondered why they don't carry an elaborate Playmobil animals assortment, but I think they chose plastic Schleich animals instead (they're not in any packaging).

Offline Eplay

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2024, 18:57:30 »
Good to hear that some of the zoo’s do carry playmobil. I’m going to check out the shop once I’m there.
It would be fun to have some collaborative zoo specific sets.

I guess the only counterargument would be that you can't really sell different instances of the same animal, there's only one PM elephant, one gorilla, etc. So you couldn't have Bokito and also Harambe (or whoever). Maybe paint jobs?
That’s true. I wouldn’t expect them to carry all the animals. Perhaps a select few? It would be possible to make signs to put on fences. The name of the animal could be on a sticker for the sign.

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2024, 05:45:18 »
I would love it if our local zoo sold Playmobil animals, even if they were just the standard sets.

Offline Riccardo

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2024, 21:05:05 »
ZSL in Regents Park London sells generic zoo/animal related sets in its gift shop. We bought a nice set with penguins in a pool and their keeper (9062).

Offline Eplay

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2024, 21:55:29 »
That’s good to hear. I really like that penguin set. That klicky is wonderful!!

Offline Riccardo

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2024, 20:37:03 »
Yes indeed, we have many modern Kliclkys but that one always sticks out like a particularly nice one!