Author Topic: Playmobil in the News  (Read 219405 times)

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News
Re: Playmobil in the News
« Reply #130 on: October 18, 2016, 12:27:19 »
PLAYMOBIL play & give 2016: Δύο νέες συλλεκτικές φιγούρες με έμπνευση από την Αρχαία Ελλάδα, για καλό σκοπό
http://www.iefimerida.gr/news/295302/playmobil-play-give-2016-dyo-nees-syllektikes-figoyres-me-empneysi-apo-tin-arhaia-ellada
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 12:34:13 by JLMatterer »

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #131 on: October 18, 2016, 13:16:39 »
The US developed out of British colonies, so it's shared culture and history (much like how Shakespeare is taught in pretty much all American high schools), and Americans should have a vague idea of why there is so much French in the English language. They don't necessarily need to know Guillaume and Harold and the exact date, but they really should know that some French dude conquered England roughly a thousand years ago. There were far more useless things taught in the history classes I took.

Should, sure, but is it likely that it's being taught in US schools nowadays? At most it probably gets a single mention and is never covered again.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #133 on: October 19, 2016, 07:49:37 »
Should, sure, but is it likely that it's being taught in US schools nowadays? At most it probably gets a single mention and is never covered again.

I highly doubt it. That's why I said most American children probably won't have heard about the Battle of Hastings. I do know my history classes covered a lot of unimportant things, so it's not like there wasn't time...  8} Most of my knowledge of medieval history comes from language classes. In that context, the Battle of Hastings is very important.

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #137 on: October 19, 2016, 17:05:14 »
Cool, I recognize a few of the people in the photo. I hope we get a report on it from our friends here who went...

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #138 on: October 19, 2016, 17:33:44 »
I love the way you carried on posting the news items while some of us debated the importance of the Battle of Hastings, JLM! Its an interesting subject, but I apologise for my part in hijacking your topic.... :-[
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)