Author Topic: Everdreamerz  (Read 11242 times)

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
Re: Everdreamerz
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2020, 10:11:04 »
Unboxing videos are a thing and can be done well. But when the company itself does the unboxing video with a super perky voiceover that constantly says things like "isn't that awesome?," it's going to come off as trying too hard. And what's with the "She's the smart one!" declaration? It's a group of girls, so there's can only be one smart one? We shouldn't promote the idea of intelligence being a "you have it or you don't" characteristic. There are different types of intelligence. If you read the descriptions, it's like they made a checklist of all the one-note personalities they thought they should cover (prima donna - check, athlete - check, etc.). And yes, the packaging is way over the top for what you actually get, and most of it is junk. Lots of hype, not enough bang.

Agreed. I hate the reliance upon these tropes to make characters. It makes them incredible bland, predictable, and utterly forgettable. And it happens SO OFTEN.

They're clearly trying to make the (oversized & unecessary) packaging part of the whole thing to own/collect/play with/keep etc, which feels a lot more about consumerism than play.  I mean, as a collector I can hardly comment :toot: but marketing it that way to kids.. 

The whole line feels as though that is underlined though - look at this character, look at all the STUFF they have, rather than some klickies who come with items that lead creative PLAY, this is klickies who have a bunch of stuff (with packaging that is part of that stuff rather than something to be discarded once the item is deboxed). 

It makes me sad that this is what marketing to girls has come to - I know they're trying to be aspirational with the whole "Everdreamerz" name & idea with all the characters personal interests & dreams, but I don't know.  It feels super gimmicky & shallow to me.

(I'm also not a fan of unboxing videos, or YouTube reviews).

I think it's pretty clear from the way the boxes are and the styling that Everdreamerz is aimed squarely at the YouTube unboxing generation. There is a definite market segment out there for this, it's a real thing, and Playmobil is trying to capitalize on it. It's not our market segment, but it really exists. I happen to agree about wastefulness, but am less concerned with the cardboard layers. There isn't much more plastic bagging used than in a regular set. The amount used in regular sets though is to my mind excessive and a much bigger problem than how much recyclable cardboard is used in a box, or a little extra air.
Being a fan of anything food, I am loving the first series and all the stuff with it. The second doesn't look as good to me. It will be interesting to see if they are successful enough to make it through all 5 or if the theme disappears part way through.

Sad to hear that's what they're like so far. I like the candy theme, but I figured there was going to be a bunch of bunk. Either way, my diehard collectionist nature demand I claim at least one of each.  :-[ But of course I plan on doing stuff with them....eventually.  ;D