Author Topic: Thanks for the help! I customized that goat (and more) from The VVitch!  (Read 1409 times)

Offline AgeOwns

• Playmo Fanatic
  • @MillionairePb
    • MillionairePlayboy.com
Black Philip
Here's Black Philip. I took skypurr's advice and just used a sharpie. It worked great. After an hour or so of drying, it was safe to handle.

Family photo
Here's the whole family. I typically hate painting, because I don't feel it'll come out as clean as the original playmobil deco. But for these photos to work, I decided I did need to paint them. On close inspection, you can see my brush strokes and screw ups, but for these photos, they work.

I'm working on a video. I'll post it here soon.
You can see more pics from The VVitch on MillionairePlayboy.com

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
interesting!
the gray and brown paints are not Sharpies are they?

Offline AgeOwns

• Playmo Fanatic
  • @MillionairePb
    • MillionairePlayboy.com
No, the gray and brown were acrylics from Michaels.  There was a special series that specifically mentioned all surfaces, such as plastic.
The white (bonnet on the little girl, and other accents) was regular  acrylic, and I do notice a difference.

I hate how sloppy it is up close. The black is much more solid without the "strokes" being as visible. However it works for this project. If I were displaying or selling these, I'd want to do a much better job.

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
Oooh, I'm curious about the video!

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
Love the figures, the colours are great
I'm pleased that the idea of using pens helped with the goat, it looks very good.
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
WOW is that a smashing dio! Great job AgeOwns! Really visually appealing and consistent. Your description makes me want to see the movie too.

Did you feel the swaddled baby (in e.g. the newest Nativity) wasn't suitable for the baby in the trailer?
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Online GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Those paint jobs look good! It is hard to get great results- I sometimes use a spray paint to avoid brush strokes, but it is hard not to over-spray and get runs. I found I had to use a plastic primer undercoat to get the paint to stick to ABS plastic.

Another alternative I have been playing with recently is to use digital photo-manipulation to change the colour of PM parts.That way, no PM parts are harmed in the filming process!

I am no adept, but having Photoshop Elements on my laptop (which I got a few years ago in a software bundle with a new camera, I think) I played around with the Quick Selection Tool and the Smart Brush Tool. Here are a few results. PS shows the photoshopped part (in case you can't tell!)

Before After
Before After
Before After
Before After

I think the white waistcoat is the best of the ones above.

And when short of a part, Photoshop can help too:
Which of the helmets is the original and which a PS copy?
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
Left is the original.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Junker Jörg

• Playmo Addict
  • Hier stehe ich, ich kann auch anders.
Die Bergbauernfamilie schaut klasse aus - this "highland"-peasants family's looking great!

jj:
Lust auf Bilder? => www.klickywelt.de (mit Anmeldung)
Fancy more pics? => www.klickywelt.de (sign in to see)