Author Topic: New? Playmobil book  (Read 2309 times)

Offline townklicky

• Playmo Enthusiast
    • Coffee and Play
New? Playmobil book
« on: January 13, 2014, 20:42:48 »
Not sure if there has been a topic on this, but I have just found a 4th Richard Unglik Book on Amazon.  I have his first 3 and the photos are very good, just wish this was also available in English. Has anybody seen this/got this, and is it any good?

This seems to be on Sherlock Holmes
Constantly rebuilding my playmobil town called Playmacia (pronounced PLAY MAKER)

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
Re: New? Playmobil book
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 21:09:04 »
 :o :o :o Hound of the Baskervilles! I bet that is awesome in playmobil!
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 21:12:53 »
Seen them about, but like you said, no English, so... passed.

Some pics are gorgeous..

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 08:47:23 »
It looks pretty. And in French! *want*  ;D

ETA: It's fairly new, so I wouldn't give up hope on an English translation yet. Usually only super famous books get translated immediately. The reviews on Amazon.fr are good: they all love the images; the text is abridged but still a fair amount.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 09:05:56 by Ismene »

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 09:41:58 »
There's an extract on Amazon.fr!

Here's a quick translation:
_______________________________________ __________________________________
Our story begins one evening of “fog” (in English in the original), this thick fog (in French) which falls on the city. At 221b Baker Street, a famous apartment building houses the residence of Sherlock Holmes.

Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles.

Chapter One:

A RATHER STRANGE AFFAIR

“Checkmate, my dear Watson!” murmured Sherlock Holmes while relighting his pipe. The surprise of Doctor Watson was complete and, for a few seconds, his cup of tea seemed suspended in space and time. How had this devil of Holmes been able to take the advantage to the point of putting him in checkmate in five moves? Truly, even after so many years of friendship, the over-developed brain of Sherlock Holmes remained an immense subject of surprise for Watson.

“And now, dear friend,” said Holmes, “Would you have the grand amiability to tell me the time?”

“It is a quarter to six.” 

“Well, well, if the author of the telegram that I received some days ago is punctual, we should soon have a visit.”

And as if to respond to the remarks of the detective, the doorbell rang.

“Enter!”

The man crossed the threshold, bowed politely and introduced himself.

“Doctor Mortimer, James Mortimer. I am pleased to make the acquaintance of the most famous of detectives and of his inseparable assistant, the no less famous Doctor Watson. ”

“All the pleasure is ours, responded Sherlock Holmes who was accustomed to this genre of compliments. “And now, dear sir, would you have the goodness to reveal to us the object of your visit?”

:sherlock:

Offline townklicky

• Playmo Enthusiast
    • Coffee and Play
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 19:13:44 »
I ended up buying this anyway, pictures as usual are excellent, and as I know the story quite well it was fine to work out.

Non of his other books have as yet been translated to English as far as I know, but I live in hope.

Thanks Adrian
Constantly rebuilding my playmobil town called Playmacia (pronounced PLAY MAKER)

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 09:18:35 »
I suppose the publisher doesn't want to pay for an English translator. Perhaps let the publisher know that there is interest in English editions.

Offline doug

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 05:19:32 »
Just found the Sherlock book, in English, at a discount store here in the States. (Ollies, for those with access.)
The store also had the history, animal, and world Unlik Playmo books too. (English editions.)

The existence of these books somehow slipped my notice until now.

I am super impressed with "Hound of the Baskervilles."

Worth the $2-3 for just the 2-page spread of Watson's dream alone!

Trippy stuff.

Very nice images throughout of klickys in dioramas with some "real" items composited in.
Almost makes me want to start chasing down the Victorian sets now.
(MUST...  RE...SIST)

Good storytelling devices with the use of newspaper pages, maps, and letters all enhanced with playmo pix.
Klicky Victoria is a sight to behold. 
I think some of the Ripper murder descriptions were a bit much for a presumably kid's book, but let's not go down that road again....

I was surprised to see Playmofriends on the credits page.
Pretty cool.

Highly recommend if you can find them,

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 09:40:32 »
I'm glad to hear it was translated. I got the French back when this thread was started.

Offline doug

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 16:53:05 »
Did you think Watson's dreams were fantastically weird, Ismene?! 
The creativity, conceptual and constructural, just for Little Red Riding Hood amazed me!