Author Topic: Parts Database??  (Read 1486 times)

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
Parts Database??
« on: November 04, 2012, 12:05:28 »
I just read Rasputin's entry in Example of a DS spares order and I wondered if DS here in the States would even entertain such a large order.  I usually make orders (of no more that 20 or so items) following that format for parts that are from current or very recent sets.  I generally receive a response that most of  the items are not in stock or no longer available.  :(  I generally come away feeling very frustrated.  If I knew what was available before I placed the order I wouldn't waste my time or theirs with most of the items on the list.   
I recently got on the L#!% site (just out of curiosity  :-[ ) and found that they have pictures and prices available for their spare parts.  This just seems like a much simpler and civilized way of doing things and I am sure they are making money selling these parts to people who want to add to or customize their current sets.
I wish Playmobil had a data base where you could enter a part number and see if they had it in stock at your DS.  Does this seem like too much to ask or am I just being pig headed?  Oink!
Joe 

"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
Re: Parts Database??
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 12:09:31 »
That would be nice. I don't know if it would happen, but it would be nice. I put off DS orders because I know they'll be a hassle.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 15:21:39 »
Yes, those are my normal sized orders, I am always after free shipping on $150 and up ;)

They have taken them but I have not placed an order recently, too busy to check what I want and need and then adding it to the list.

The parts system you speak of is something Indianna and I have been beating our heads against the wall for quite some time, care to join us? bring plenty of aspirin, its going to hurt.

It would require Geobra to accurately inventory the warehouse parts tubs. Then they would have to change the attitude of it being a service that was offered for the occasional missing part to one that is a part of the business plan.  An adjustment they do not seem fond of.

Lego is a construction toy and they need to keep the builders happy with plenty of access to parts.

Playmobil is a play toy and not in the parts business

I feel we are lucky that they even give us what they do at this point, as far as collectors orders go that is. I mean Geobra US get parts something like twice a year. They do the inventory, place the order with Germany, have it sent out, stock the bins, a collector with a dio bug calls and cleans out a lot of items, and then for the next six months you have parents calling in to say "our set xxxx was missing so and so" "what, you do not have it? what kind of company are you? You send my little precious kiddo a set and its missing a cuff and you cant send it to me now? I am going to return it then" click..........

If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 15:35:19 »
Yes, they will take large orders, of several pages' worth. They only ask that you submit them by email, they don't want to do a long order over the phone. Never tried that myself as I hate talking on the phone, but that's what I've heard.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 15:50:34 »
Thanks Ras, I think I understand a bit better now the difference between Playmobil and Lego.  Aspirin please.  :lol:

Yes, they will take large orders, of several pages' worth. They only ask that you submit them by email, they don't want to do a long order over the phone. Never tried that myself as I hate talking on the phone, but that's what I've heard.
Bonnie, I submit my orders by email and then they send me a sheet with the availability and prices.  I then call and place the order.  Am I supposed to place the order by email as well?
Joe
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 16:46:06 »
Thanks Ras, I think I understand a bit better now the difference between Playmobil and Lego.  Aspirin please.  :lol:

Difference is, Lego likes money.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 16:53:23 »
Difference is, Lego likes money.

Are the ones Joe is talking about even run by Lego, I thought a lot of spare brick stores were private?

I do not think it is about not liking money but perhaps liking it too much. Geobra would have to invest capital to get such a system up and running and then be able to sustain such crazy order that collectors are able to put together. Such capital would have to be quite substantial for the amount of orders that would start flooding in form us. Geobra is earning money and the system is working for them so why rock the boat just to keep  some nuts happier.  ;)
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 01:24:08 »
. . . The parts system you speak of is something Indianna and I have been beating our heads against the wall for quite some time, care to join us? bring plenty of aspirin, its going to hurt . . .
:lol:  Actually, I prefer ibuprofen! 

Joe, the very system you describe is something that has been wished for since long before the idea of the PCC was whispered into Horst B.'s ear.  If you do a search here at PF, you can find conversations 4 or 5 years back discussing just such a system.

. . . It would require Geobra to accurately inventory the warehouse parts tubs. Then they would have to change the attitude of it being a service that was offered for the occasional missing part to one that is a part of the business plan.  An adjustment they do not seem fond of. . .

What Rasputin says is true - it would require a change in the business plan.  I believe that an online direct service could be a financial success for them but first they must make that "attitude adjustment." 

LEGO offers over 1600 spare parts through their online "pick-a-brick" category:  LEGO Pick-A-Brick    :hmm:
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 01:35:17 »
This is all very discouraging, but at least I am in EXCELLENT company!   :lol:
Thanks so much.
Joe
 - Ernest Hemingway