Author Topic: US Event  (Read 4198 times)

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
Re: US Event
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 13:29:09 »
PlaymoHolics, if you don't mind me asking, do you live on the east coast then? :)
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline Playmoholics

• Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 13:34:43 »
Pretty close to it. I live in Indiana now. But I am a west coast girl at heart  :love:
Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is more people who have come alive – Howard Thurman.
I need Playmobil! 

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 14:11:43 »
The next two probable West Coast events will be the Puyallup train show in November and the Seattle Train Show next January. Last I heard Glazz will be taking his train set-up to both of those. Collectors are invited to attend and with pre-arrangement to help with the setting up.
The distance thing is really the problem. To do large displays you have to be within driving distance and everything is so far apart here.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 14:30:19 »
The next two probable West Coast events will be the Puyallup train show in November and the Seattle Train Show next January. Last I heard Glazz will be taking his train set-up to both of those. Collectors are invited to attend and with pre-arrangement to help with the setting up.
The distance thing is really the problem. To do large displays you have to be within driving distance and everything is so far apart here.

So true! I've wanted to see Glazz's displays up close & personal, but have been required to see it by event pictures. :( Trying to transport an entire diorama long distances is extremely difficult also!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline playmogal

• places for playmo women to go
  • Playmo Master
  • The bride and groom topper-my son's wedding cake
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 12:42:01 »
So true! I've wanted to see Glazz's displays up close & personal, but have been required to see it by event pictures. :( Trying to transport an entire diorama long distances is extremely difficult also!
So maybe we begin with a regional event in a reserved room at a Wake County library in Raleigh or Cary? The problem is that you can usually only get those rooms for a few hours and not an entire day.
I'd be glad to look into their room availability slots if you want. Lego users meet at the Cameron Village branch upstairs every few months. But their room is not very large. We could do something like reserve a room for a few hours once a quarter and bring our new stuff for display then.
This would be a small start but a step in the right direction if we want to do something bigger.  Cheers, Pgal 8} 8}
After two decades of male toys (esp. Lego and PM) in our house, it is time to build something for us women!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 13:29:47 »
I agree we should start pretty small. But still, I think for the kind of thing we have in mind, which is to draw attention ot playmobil, let the public come in and see and inspire them to buy playmobil, we need to have at least 2 or 3 interesting to look at dioramas. They don't need to be massive, but they should be creative, and showcase all that you can do with playmobil.

So, the thing is, the way these exhibitions are usually done, you need a hall for three days. One day for exhibitors only to come in and set up their dioramas, as it takes a while, even if you have practiced several times and are very organized. Then two days for the actual exhibition, for the public to come in and see the dioramas. Finding a place to use for three days is definitely not easy.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline playmogal

• Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 14:50:42 »

I agree we should start pretty small. But still, I think for the kind of thing we have in mind, which is to draw attention ot playmobil, let the public come in and see and inspire them to buy playmobil, we need to have at least 4-6 interesting to look at dioramas. They don't need to be massive, but they should be creative, and showcase all that you can do with Playmobil.

So, the thing is, the way these exhibitions are usually done, you need a hall for three days. One day for exhibitors only to come in and set up their dioramas, as it takes a while, even if you have practiced several times and are very organized. Then two days for the actual exhibition, for the public to come in and see the dioramas. Finding a place to use for three days is definitely not easy.

Bonniebeth, You make some valid points.

I agree that you need a hall for at least two days...one for set up and another for public viewing. Three days would be ideal so there could be a second day of public viewing. If you want a medium sized show with big dioramas, it will require at least 10,000 sq feet of exhibit space, and you have to worry about tickets, security, parking, publicity, etc.

That is why I think a PM park would be the best place if they have the indoor space.

Otherwise, you have to look for a local hotel with that kind of space. I just reviewed the Marriott properties in the Raleigh/Cary area and only the 2 Marriotts have 10,000 plus sq ft. Their room rates per night for Sept 23-25 are $107.  (Crabtree with free parking) and (Downtown Raleigh where parking is not free) for $143.

If you held a smaller meeting and could get by with 1250 sq ft of exhibition space, you could use a Courtyard in Cary or at RDU airport for a room rate of $60+ with free parking.

First you would need to know how many exhibitors were coming and how much space they each needed for their displays. Then you have to decide whether and how long you would open it up for public viewing.

So once you decide whether to go large or small, you can select a hotel. I am not sure how many rooms you have to reserve to get the meeting space for free.

A Lego show in Raleigh attracted 8000. visitors a year ago. Not sure what the number was last month. They use the No. Raleigh Hilton, and it is a large commercial production. The editor of the Lego magazine called Brickworld runs this event called BrickMagic.

With a PM show being a much smaller event, I am favoring a smaller hotel with limited exhibition space the first go round....unless we can get into a Fun Park. A first get together could just focus on the exhibitors, hopefully most of whom are member of PFriends. We could open it up to the public for maybe three hours the second day, and see how it goes. That way a third day would not be needed, and folks could drive home Sunday morning.

Then the following year, we could grow a bit if the first round was successful. It seems to me that BrickFair, the Lego convention near Wash. DC that we attend in August, requires volunteers/exhibitors to be there Th AM-Sunday at 5PM. The seminars run Th and Fr for registrants. Then the public show is Sat and Sun.

That is a very long time commitment. And it takes years to build up to that size and attendance level of 20,000 or so spread over 2 days. It requires about 150 volunteers and months of planning by the organizer, a fellow who shoulders the entire financial burden and now probably makes a few bucks now that it runs pretty smoothly.

The other obstacle we face is that PM is not that well known in the US. If you grew up with it in Europe, it seems natural to go to a show. Most Americans don't even know what it is. Lego is so visible in Target and WalMart that everyone here knows what it is. PM is much harder to find, and not very well known. So your show attendance would be much lower than at the Lego events.

Two cents for what y'all think of this! Cheers, Pgal
After two decades of male toys (esp. Lego and PM) in our house, it is time to build something for us women!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 14:59:37 »
Right, obviously we can't do anything on the scale of a lego event here, because most people in the US haven't heard of playmobil, and attendance would be low. Still, it needs to be a big enough event to be worht the drive for those of us coming from New York or Louisiana. So I'd say smallish, but not too small. We would need to see how many members that have the collection to make a sizable or creative diorama would be able to put in the time commitment. I could easily make about a 9x11 foot diorama out of my zoo, but that's probably way too huge for the scale we're talking, so I could find a way to crack it back. Bill definitely could make an impressive fire diorama with his "smoke" machine and all, but it's questionable whether he can commit to it. I'm sure WoT can make a good diorama. So that's three right there, depending on a lot of ifs. So there's a lot of factors to consider.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline playmogal

• Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 17:22:38 »
Right, obviously we can't do anything on the scale of a lego event here, because most people in the US haven't heard of playmobil, and attendance would be low. Still, it needs to be a big enough event to be worht the drive for those of us coming from New York or Louisiana. So I'd say smallish, but not too small. We would need to see how many members that have the collection to make a sizable or creative diorama would be able to put in the time commitment. I could easily make about a 9x11 foot diorama out of my zoo, but that's probably way too huge for the scale we're talking, so I could find a way to crack it back. Bill definitely could make an impressive fire diorama with his "smoke" machine and all, but it's questionable whether he can commit to it. I'm sure WoT can make a good diorama. So that's three right there, depending on a lot of ifs. So there's a lot of factors to consider.

Those three large diorama suggestions sound great! If we had the space, they could be say 6x6 or so. And then maybe others could do 6x3 or 5x3 to fit the table size at the event. My scenes are on 3-6 ft stainless trays hubby brings home from hospital equip headed for the dump. So I can go 3,4,5 or 6 ft lengths. And they are pretty easy to load with half inch lips.

Let me know where the others in the area live, and we could select a central location for all if needed. Raleigh is primed for shows like this having just had the second BrickMagic over Mother's Day weekend.

I still hope we can do something at the FL Fun Park or at least a place nearby because most folks want to see these parks, and this gives us a chance and a place for the kids of all ages to play. Cheers, Pgal 8} 8} 8}

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 19:02:47 »
Be sure to look into venue options like church halls and Grange buildings.