Author Topic: 5537+5538 Figures 7  (Read 12994 times)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
5537+5538 Figures 7
« on: July 27, 2014, 20:19:11 »
5537+5538 Figures 7

As always the figures were very anticipated. For whatever odd reason. This time around, I figured (uhm.) I'd try preordering them.

It didn't start well. A mess up with the address made it not reach me when it should. I want someone's head. The figures are cursed. I am positive. Anyways, eventually, I got my grabby hands on them.

The boxes are simpler, like series 6 :(  The previous ones were prettier.

This time, there isn't something that stands out before having them on hand (like the scot and the archer - or the cavewoman! - in previous series). Same goes for hair, which has been the brightest spot of many series.

So, before I begin in earnest, I will AGAIN repeat my note from the previous review:

I've been told I am sometimes harsh on my comments. Keep in mind I LOVE playmobil. Generally, it's GREAT. Without a doubt and by FAR, the GREATEST toy on the Universe. And also keep in mind that I've gotten a box of each boys and girls since the first series - meaning, despite all the "problems" I point out, they are VERY MUCH WORTH IT. We ALL know playmobil rules, so I suppose I tend to point out the problems. There are only so many ways of saying AWESOME, right?

First impression I got on the first pack was that the paper quality is LOUSY. The leaflet even SMELLS odd. It also feels odd. And more than one of the figures were "dirty", and I'm thinking it was the paper. I decided I would not bag the leaflets with them.

The boxes were both even, and the packs were neatly organized. Made our task of opening one of each a breeze :)

In both boxes, there were no missing parts, and we got these extras:

Nothing terribly exciting. One diver brought TWO extra masks and a hair. And this time, we didn't get any extras of THAT hair... Only more useful ones - and a head! A simple head! :)

(details tomorrow, I think)

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
Re: 5537+5538 Figures 7
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 20:23:19 »
Ah, you always get some great extra pieces, tahra! I look forward to seeing the details. ;)
~Pynedor~

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 20:27:18 »
Ah, you always get some great extra pieces, tahra! I look forward to seeing the details. ;)

Yep, aparently.. :)

Details tomorrow - almost off now..  :zz:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 19:32:07 »
5537 Boys

1. Golden King

Although another king is really not needed, I'll make an exception - he has GORGEOUS colors, and is a perfect match to the queen in the Girls Figures. And the parts... well... :love:

The gold is the same new shade as last series' gladiator, and I like it very much. Though it makes things harder to match. The cape in dark blue with the white thingies (technical term!) is really nice too, though I don't really love that "sculpt".

The sword, of course, doesn't fit the belt. I really wonder who thinks of this things.

The klicky is real nice, though his torso does resemble a pillow :D

I wouldn't mind a few more of those legs. Or arms.  :-[

2. Fencer

Nothing wrong with him, but... a reuse of the olympics fencer. Meh. And it wasn't that long ago.

On the plus side, he has nice hair.

And a nice face, with... interesting.. different eyebrows - the reason we kept one (though he'll go to mount 3 with another head, most likely).

3. Cook

YET another cook? What gives?

With THAT hair, but at least in red.

Maybe we can make a(nother) doc from him?

The utensils come bagged (different sized bags :o )

And they are very very nice.

I really don't understand playmobil's obsession with cooks.

4. Cameraman

I do think the guy looks familiar... Is there a fat version? My head isn't what it used to be, unfortunately...  :-[

He looks nice... except the head..  ::)

Anyways, that torso says VIKING to me...

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 19:34:33 »
5. Skater

And another skater, male this time, with an audiobook thing around his neck. That thing is plain weird. Whoever thought of putting that around the neck, instead of working like the doctors' stethoscopes? On the plus side, colors are nice, and the hair is also good. On the minus side, MORE diaper legs. Gah.

He'd be stunning, if not for those idiotic legs..

And his torso is also printed on the back!

6. Roman

Yet another repeat officer. Can't they make a new one? Not that he's not nice (roman parts are always nice), but if they're doing repeats on a row, please give us a plain soldier instead? 

At least he has "medieval hair", not THAT one, right? ;)

7. Clown

And another clown, with diaper pants.

I suppose the full diaper look can work for a clown - the only thing is good for.. well... or samurais!  :)  The colors are nice, and the torso is quite... clownish.

8. Astronaut

I like these guys. Not really sure why, but I do.. I think the space guys are great, and he has good "alien colors" too.

The colors are not common with these, I think. Which is a good thing, variety and all.

Unfortunately, here is a fine example of the lack of print quality.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 19:36:40 »
9. Gangster

No comment.

Ok, I'll comment. What in HADES is this supposed to be? It is so... OFF. For playmobil. So, soldiers are off, but machine gun armed criminals is ok? Oh wait, he's not a criminal. He's supposed to be... something else. What?

I think he makes a(nother) nice business man, minus gun, but I think this is completely off and unappropriate.

The design of the torso seems to lack the lapels.... so he would need that neckpiece, sadly not included.

10. Robin Hood

A nice archer, well armed.

I just think the dagger "loop" should be brown. Actually, does this mean that shoulder strap thing will be FINALLY available in brown again!? :love:

The sleeves look great - actually he's gorgeous for parts too, in really beautiful colors. No pink, no blue, not even red! :)  Great torso, a shame the belt has the common "front only" problem.

11. Diver

A nice diver.. nothing really exciting to me, and made worse because he is a repeat from the duo pack. Meh. Another repeat. Which means, we should not have gotten that duo. One of each diver is (more than) enough.

The klicky is pretty, with nice classic hair, and bright fins..

I think they should have given him a watch too. They gave it to the spaceman instead? ;)

12. Sea Man

I can't stand to look at this one since I first saw him. What were they thinking!? WERE they thinking!? A PERFECTLY colored merman. And then... barefeet. Seriously. Must win the "missed opportunity prize", me thinks. :(

The colors are really inspired, well, would be, if he had a fishtail. >:(

The hair and beard are a nice shade of green (not unseen before, I think). Strange that the nice thin bracelets are silver instead of gold, but is easily fixed if we so wish.

:hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: WHY IN TARTARUS IS HE NOT A MERMAN!? :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 19:38:48 »
5538 Girls

1. Golden Queen

A nice, perfectly match for the boys king. She's also GORGEOUS... The gold with the strong pink works great. And nice for parts as well..

The gold is the same new shade, and she has a baby scepter :D  I didn't put the stickers on the skirt.

Under  she has a matching pink skirt (works great without the large one too) and white FLAT shoes.

This is not a problem of the figures, applies to all of them - you can see in these, I think, how bad the printing of the women's faces is these days. Pixelated. The older ones are smooth, a LOT better.

2. Hippie

This is another case where the official photos don't show everything - she has a pigeon!

Anyways - a good idea, but not very well executed, I think. Those legs really don't work. The feet are.. HORRID :(  So, fixing needed. If she had proper legs, she'd be a stunner. Even if she does have.. BRIGHT colors.

The hair is beautiful in brown, and there is also an alienish flower.

And here's a shot of those dreadful DREADFUL shoes..

3. Purple Fairy

The mandatory winged fairy... Nice colors :)

She is pretty, though the hair with the hole has been a bit overused lately.

She is beautiful without the neckpice, and NOT pink!

4. Rider

Another horseless rider. Guess she'd make a good naval commander, but wait - we have enough of those as well.

A shame the torso has the medal printed... Still a beautiful klicky.

Here's the detail of the cuffs:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 19:41:30 »
5. Cowgirl

A really nice klicky, even if not very original parts. I suppose for most standards they are not that recent, right?

And they all work GREAT together! She's GORGEOUS - who would think a RED cowboy hat could look so great? :love: 

6. Bali Woman

I'm not familiar with the costume, but she looks interesting. And a bit more variety for the skinny bodies.

We both really like her, and for parts too...

This is a new skirt...

7. Nun

I'm completely against more of these. And the parts, unlike the previous one, turn out not to be that great. Cleaning the torso would be impossible unless we'd want it all black - and that seems a waste. The other's headwear was a lot more interesting too...

Of course, we'd expect a nun to have flat shoes, no? The heels make her a LOT less useful. The skirt is a new part, in these colors, but the bad printing doesn't much help.

Something (else) odd - the sticker was ON the book already, unlike with the pregnant woman.

And.. what's with the red book? Can't drop the value of that other one on ebay, is that it?

8. Geologist

A nice figure, especially made in female form. A great idea.

She looks nice (though the vest and the torso don't really work together well - easily fixed).

However, the first one I opened was... A guy! :o

Who BTW spent quite a few hours alone in a zipper with a DOZEN women  >:D

The rest had proper female torsos.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 19:43:37 »
9. Jogger

A nice simple figure, but a bit of a repeat - the idea, I mean.. But hey, she's not barefoot. Or worse, in socks!

Note how "light" she is on accessories. These continue to vary wildly.

And the shirt has a lot of potential, I think. But seeing it in the plastic... it is beautiful, it would be a shame to clean it.

10. Woman With Puppy

She REALLY looks familiar, but I can't place her. I'm convinced she's meant to be a character.

Colors are a bit.. bright. I do like the hat mold. It's very... crumpled.

Real shame about those pants. GAH. This time they went over the edge using these. They are HORRID.

11. Snake Lady

This one was a very pleasant surprise..

As before, the headgear kinda hides the head's details.. Not good.

The klicky didn't impress me much...

Untill I saw her back :love:

AMAZING. Real shame about that neon green, but still.. GORGEOUS!

The snake is amazing in that color...

And they all came kinda.. knoted in the packs..

12. Ice Cream Vendor

A nice addition to a booth.

She is a pretty one, and we don't see classic hairs that often anymore!

And, she has white speedos!

She definetely has potential!

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 19:44:07 »
And that's it..  Details on the kept ones later (though hopefully not AS later as with last series :-[ )

Finally, look how good these are together: