Author Topic: 5458+5459 Figures 6  (Read 19961 times)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
5458+5459 Figures 6
« on: March 23, 2014, 17:00:39 »
5458+5459 Figures 6

I will repeat my note from the previous review.

I've been told I am sometimes harsh on my comments. Keep in mind I LOVE playmobil. Generally, it's GREAT. Without a doubt and by FAR, the GREATEST toy on the Universe. And also keep in mind that I've gotten a box of each boys and girls since the first series - meaning, despite all the "problems" I point out, they are VERY MUCH WORTH IT. We ALL know playmobil rules, so I suppose I tend to point out the problems. There are only so many ways of saying AWESOME, right?

Ok, with that in mind..............

As always, the figures were (for some strange reason) highly anticipated.

I suppose this time, the Highlander completely steals the show. There's no hair to shine on this series.

So we decided not to waste time - I wanted everything accounted for. With the prices that gorgeous guy reaches, I wanted to know asap if I needed to hunt them...

So, appologies for the lack of proper box pics :-[   It's not easy to find "neutral" places  to take them, and we didn't have the time to fix one up if we were going to open them all that evening.

Which we did, while half watching the latest Amazing Race ep (my guilty pleasure :-[ ) - twice.

This time, the boxes were not only even, but the packs were neatly in the order of the leaflet. We got SOOOO good at this we didn't even have to TOUCH the packs to id them! ;D

Anyways, no need to hunt any at stupid prices. Though if I come across any highlanders (assuming the figures WILL eventually make it here), they're MINE!

In the two boxes, we got these extras:

The pirate beard and "hair" are VERY VERY welcome. That beard makes THAT hair look good :o, and the bandana hair is really nice, and not common.

One gladiator broght a bunch of extras. And there's some black speedos too!

There was a green ball from one of the Green Witches missing :(  I think it is the first time we actually got a missing part in the figures. I mean, we did NOT get a part. Not serious or really impeditive, but would be a bummer for a first time client. Not good. For us, makes little difference, except on principle.

As to the boxes, something of note - while the others had the figures in front and sides, these are a LOT simpler. Probably cheaper, I suppose, but it means there is no clear pic of the figures anywhere for people to see.

Details to follow...

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: 5458+5459 Figures 6
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 17:14:02 »
5458 Boys

1. Gladiator

Same gladiator. Please. Oh wait, hidden under all that, there is a caveman torso. In red. Much better. But.. red!? WHY couldn't they make the roman legs in a color to match the existing great ones (in normal colors)?

And the usual complaints - the head with the stupid stubble.. and of course THAT hair. It is a curse! Actually, by now, I'm convinced they are BOTH curses.

Not sure we'll keep the gladiator - and definitely not with that torso. It can barely be seen, with all of that on him!

Besides, I believe there is already a very close cousin.

The gold is different, kinda lighter, and I do like it - though it'll make a bigger mess when we need to find matching parts, right?

2. Cowboy

A nice cowboy (except the head - am I the only one who thinks that black stubble with a blond hair looks odd?). The colors work nicely, and the caveman hair in blonde is lovely. Wish we could have more of that hair, but not really interested in keeping more cowboys, and not that useful for parts.

3. Highlander

Well, the definite highlight of the series. And so many new parts. :o

The sword is beautiful, and the cloth thing is interesting. They are meant to go together, with the cloth having a "dent" to fit the belt. This is especially visible in the back.

Not only the sword is amazing, and the belt has a lot of potential, but the klicky is plain gorgeous. He has "normal colors" - ALL of him. No stupid blue shoes. No pink striped shirt... Gorgeous. :love:

I can't help but think of our Gannicus, though.

Not sure if that torso isn't wasted under all of that. It is beautiful - and brown :love: - with a lovely printed armor. Gods, this is one of the most beautiful original klickys ever to come from playmobil, I think. If they could understand the demand for him, maybe they'd understand we want normal colors?

Only wish he'd have a normal head, without the brows (that's a wish for the figures in general).

I'll be happy to take any extras - incomplete and all. ;)  (can't blame one for trying, right?)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 17:19:04 »
4. Lifeguard

The lifeguard is a big "DUH". Have no idea why it took them this long. I'm sure many of us already thought of and made one. This one is that darker skin color, and has a more modest bathing suit that the usual speedo... accurately, at least according to Baywatch ;D

Still, a nice addition. Though we must again note the wildly varying amount of accessories. They could try to round them up a bit more...

We decided we'll keep one.

5. Agent

The agent has an horrid face - but it's a double faced head so... With that fixed, I guess he'll make a nice office worker or something. At least this time they got a hair that actually covers the face in the back. And a gorgeous one at that :love:

Actually, the "alternate head" is unusual, I think, with HUGE eyebrows..

6. Arabian guard

This one would look great - if not for the fringes on the pants. Completely off :(  Almost feel like taking a file at them... but that could be a bit... radical.

A real shame. The belt only printed in front also doesn't help, though that is a general playmoproblem - just REALLY obvious on this one.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 17:23:37 »
7. Pirate

The pirate looks really good. Love the beard and the "hair"!

Ours might get a black coat instead. Basically because I have plans for a blue one (and I'd rather not keep more pirates), and we have a bunch of blacks.

It's odd that the ancient model of pirate pistol was included.

8. Alien

ANOTHER medieval parts alien. Oh well. Useful parts - OBVIOUSLY elvish! The skin color is quite different. Variety is good, and aliens always welcome - even if we have to redo them from scratch - wait, the neckpiece this time is also alienish. Or space-ish.

I'm also not sure about the baton-gun. The other gun was sooooo gorgeous.

9. Karate Guy

Please. Couldn't he be different!? Ok, he has that complicated darker skin color. And a different hair. But.. couldn't he at least be thin?

It's not that he isn't a nice klicky, I just think that the Figures line is not the appropriate place for reeditions.

Also, the leaflet does not show the breaking board. Odd.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 17:29:28 »
10. Construction Worker

Another one - couldn't they be a BIT original? Gah. Though he has a plain head!

11. Surfing Santa

A surfing santa?! No comment.

Though.. The surfboard is nice - the reindeer design was a great touch! :)

12. Pyjama Guy

I always thought the pig farmer had the jammy shirt on.. and I am now proven right ;D  He looks nice, but I don't like the stubble. Though in this case... maybe he didn't shave yet, right?

End boys. Girls next..

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 17:32:56 »
5459. Girls

They REALLY went wild with "Pink fairy/queen/princess/lady" - I've run out of distinctive names. I wish they could be a bit less boring - at least put some variety WITHIN a freakin' series, right?

1. Pink Fairy

Another pink big skirt - but hey... what's with that cape!? Looks great! It's gorgeous. Shame the color.

As to the rest, nothing special. We still have a bunch of those hat thingies from the 3836 Fairy. Not terribly useful, I'm afraid.

She is pretty underneath...

2. Cop

Well. A cop. Not very original.

Still, one will join our ranks.

3. Ranger With Koala

She's interesting. Nice black arms! And the bamboo shoot with the Koala are nice.

The hair is great too - though not new. However, there is something off... Torso/vest/hair, something doens't play well with others... And the painting is, as usual, dreadful. Cheap painted faces have that added problem  >:(

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 17:37:25 »
4. Pink Princess

And ANOTHER pink princess or whatever. Skinny, with high heels. :(  And another with severe lack of accessories.

The skirt is unusual, with a big "tail" - which I suppose only makes it more specific.. Though I think we'll be able to do SOMETHING with that.

5. Chinese Woman

She looks interesting - my sister loves her.

Have no idea what the transparent thing is, but looks nice :-[  The slippers feel funny, and makes me kinda worried they'll fall apart before 30+ years.

The torso and skirt are GORGEOUS. And she has a new thigie to put on the hair. The face is also new, I think. Nice.

6. Hiker

I like the hiker - not sure why. A real shame about those shorts. Would be amazing in black. Or grey. Or NOT pink.

Though that hair is not my favorite, darker ones are welcome, since we mostly have them in blonde.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 13:52:26 by tahra »

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 17:46:49 »
7. Gymnast

The gymnast... what can I say? BLACK speedos. That's all. They don't even match the rest (thankfully), so we'll keep one and replace them.

8. Winged Fairy With Harp

Again, another hasty fairy... in her socks. Also the harp being transparent doesn't really help. By now, I think we can make a harp shop.

9. Pink Queen with Keys

And YET ANOTHER pink queen. Princess. Fairy. Whatever. Couldn't she at least be.. I don't know... Black?! WHite? Purple? Bright green with blue dots!? ::)

At least the keys are nice to have more of.

Underneath, a nice white skirt and flat feet, even if in gold (NOT gonna happen ;) )

(seriously, whoever thought of golden shoes!?)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 17:49:39 »
10. Cleopatra

Cleo. YET again. No comment.

11. Green Witch

A greenish... wizard? Makes for an interesting priestess, alien.. or something.

The mouth is... (trying to find a polite word).. horribly completely unplaymolike. Really. A shame, cause the eyes are interesting. Fortunately, she has a molded proper face on the other side. Of course, that implies having that big notch on the forehead, which will limit hair options.

Also, the hair she has lets a bit of that horrid thing showing!

Anyways, I really like her. Plus, the cape is new, and very distinctive (and in a good color!), and the staff is also nice (with or without the ball).

12. Fifties Girl

The girl in the red polkadotted dress looks lovely. Gorgeous, actually, even better "in the plastic" than in pics.

A bit specific, but wonderfully executed.

And that's it. Kept ones later, since there are no final decisions on everyone yet.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 19:21:21 »
The Chinese lady is holding a fan. No idea why they made that transparent.

Great review, thanks! Can't disagree with any of your comments. My problem is that for every interesting figure there are five I couldn't care less about, much the same as the last couple of figures series.