Author Topic: The Scenes on the Back of Playmobil Set Boxes  (Read 863 times)

Offline NeilMartin

• Playmo Enthusiast
The Scenes on the Back of Playmobil Set Boxes
« on: March 26, 2023, 12:40:53 »
Hello,

Please tell me if I'm posting in the wrong Forum Topic but (some) Playmobil boxes are part of my collection so I'm hoping that you don't mind me posting here.

The earlier Playmobil set boxes often had a detailed scene featuring more than one Playmobil set and I think that many of these are great scenes with fantastic details. When did Playmobil stop this practice?

I've come across three scenes that are particular favourites of mine (photos below),

Most favourite, 3317 Ghost
2nd place, 3905 King & Queen
3rd place, 3750 Pirate Ship

Do you have a particular favourite scene or scenes, and if so from which Playmobil sets?

Best wishes,
Neil

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: The Scenes on the Back of Playmobil Set Boxes
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 13:16:15 »
I can't give you a date for the scenes being discontinued, but I can give a possible reason for them ending and that is the growing danger of buyers arguing that they expected everything shown on the box to be found inside the box, and with this the danger of a costly and messy court case if compensation wasn't given in one form or another. by Playmobil.

As you say, the scenes were often great scenes with lots of detail and lots of ideas to trigger minds young and old on how to set up scenes and use Playmobil and, of course, lots of encouragement to buy more Playmobil.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 21:48:47 »
I can't give you a date for the scenes being discontinued, but I can give a possible reason for them ending and that is the growing danger of buyers arguing that they expected everything shown on the box to be found inside the box, and with this the danger of a costly and messy court case if compensation wasn't given in one form or another. by Playmobil

I think the 'contents as shown' disclaimer on the front will have covered them - in the same way that 'serving suggestion' covers food manufacturers. I suspect it was deemed clearer to buyers to have the contents shown clearer on the back, but based on memory it came in the early 90s - when the Victorian line was launched they all had the scenes, but I'm pretty sure the 1993 Knights re-launch didn't have them. I'm sure someone with greater knowledge will confirm!

They really were wonderful, both the box art and the catalogues used to combine different sets in really imaginative ways which I loved as a kid.

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 07:22:37 »
I can't give you a date for the scenes being discontinued, but I can give a possible reason for them ending and that is the growing danger of buyers arguing that they expected everything shown on the box to be found inside the box, and with this the danger of a costly and messy court case if compensation wasn't given in one form or another. by Playmobil.

As you say, the scenes were often great scenes with lots of detail and lots of ideas to trigger minds young and old on how to set up scenes and use Playmobil and, of course, lots of encouragement to buy more Playmobil.

Not sure how that would play out as the front of the box showed the contents albeit with the odd rock and model tree.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 08:27:35 »
Not sure how that would play out as the front of the box showed the contents albeit with the odd rock and model tree.

Yeah. People are just stupid.  ::)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 08:57:04 »
I agree, many of those box backs showed wonderful scenes, as did posters, catalogues, advertising materials and so on. I don't know when geobra stopped putting images on the boxes, but let's post some more here, great idea for a topic!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)