Author Topic: 4270 Roman Arena  (Read 8228 times)

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
4270 Roman Arena
« on: December 07, 2006, 20:35:34 »
As some of you may already of read that I couldn't wait any longer and bought the Roman theme recently, so here's my look on the BIG one, the arena.

Theres not a lot to assembling this arena the plans show you how in ten very easy steps and without the statues and yellow clips theres just 37 pieces to it. So assembly was fairly quick and I let David (11) do that and he managed it OK however a few parts needed a little bit more strength to push them together. Theres lots of stickers to apply, 40 in total on six sheets so you will need a steady hand.

Once assembled the arena is larger than it looks in any photos that I have seen of it but in some ways it does look as simple as a circle of train track in that it doesn't do much. Theres a nice little trap door that drops into one of the big cat cages on top of the main stand and a handful of doors that open and that's it. The 2 statues are really cool and have a huge impact on the arenas appearance these are top Playmo parts. So it is exactly what it is supposed to be an arena for shows, all the action happens inside the ring.

The one thing that I don't really like on the arena is those magic face flames as I call them I would of liked just a simple flame without eyes and a nose also a seat for the Cesar would of been nice but he can't sit down wearing his robe.

It is possible to replace all of the simple wall sections which there are 8 of, for the seated sections to make a complete seated arena which I'm sure many people will do.
I'm only human, born to make mistakes.

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
Re: 4270 Roman Arena
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 20:44:57 »
You get a nice lot of very good looking figures with the arena 8 in total. The Cesar is fairly basic and looks the part and the guard isn't over fussy.The lady is the 1st that I have in my collection that doesn't have any accessories with it, it's just a nicely printed figure. The Gladiators are great these have been very well designed and the new pepper pot type visors are just the part. The prize of the bunch for me is the Roman officer I just love the colour scheme and print on this figure.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 20:53:15 »
Thanks for the excellent photos, Garry, and the review.  It sounds a great buy and the figures are really amazing.  The pcis you posted of them could have been a genuine Roman freize.

I hadn't noticed the face onm the flames until you mentioned it.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 21:00:45 »
The Chariot is a very nice piece of Playmo and it is worth getting this set just to own it, I haven't attached the stickers to mine yet so it may look a bit dull. I was surprised to see those hub weapons on it I hadn't really noticed them before and they can be removed easily. Theres a  couple of circles to hold you r figures in by their feet and a square hole that I haven't found what it's for yet.

Altogether this is a great set of good size and I'm pleased with it's appearance and design of the figures and various parts. However I would of liked to have a few more weapons with it you don't really get a lot of them like you do with the castles.

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 21:20:31 »
There has been a lot said about the quality of the Romans and now that I own some this is what I have found with the arena.

The Cesar and guard figures already slouch forwards, if you put them down they lean instantly and have to be straightened.
The circle feet grips in the chariot don't grip the sandaled feet very well so the figures fall over whilst being moved.

The biggest problem of all has come with 3 of the gladiators, all of the white figures have the colour of the vest run onto the skin colour and build up around the necks. It appears that the blue, green and red dye from the figures vests have run down over the skin part and collected around the necks. I have tried to take a few photos and scans of this but I can't show it to well with the available lighting.

I don't think that it is just going to be me with a bad batch and I can imagine come Xmas day a lot of people are going to find their figures are the same. There has certainly not been any kind of quality control on assembling these figures they should never of been sent out.

However being a collector these odd little Playmo defects are as much fun in finding as getting a perfect item and will make a good talking point in years to come. So I will Try Playmo and see if they will send out some replacements and let me keep these ones.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 21:30:43 by Sir Gareth »

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 21:31:20 »
If the runs are from the printing process, then gentle application of cellulose thinners with a cotton wool bud should remove them without damaging the plastic.  But you do it at your own risk!
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 07:36:57 »
If the runs are from the printing process, then gentle application of cellulose thinners with a cotton wool bud should remove them without damaging the plastic.  But you do it at your own risk!

Hi Gordon,

I had already thought about removing it with metal polish just like I do with print and I will have to take the figures apart to get it out of the neck area. I can also stop the slouch on the other 2 figures as well so to me these problems with the figures are very minor.

These things shouldn't be found in a new set and for people buying Playmobil for the first time this is not a good representation of playmos normal past quality. If you look at it 5 out of the 8 figures have defects in one set. Out of all of the sets I have in my collection this is nearly on par with Antex for problems. All of my sets from the 90's except the herald in the large castle 3666 who has an odd foot, every part is perfect including the print and I have all of the Knight,  Western, Indian and Pirate sets from that period.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 11:47:26 »

GREAT review, Garry!

I am so sorry that you found the quality lacking in some of the figures ...  :(

Several months ago I visited the Palm Beach Playmobil FunPark and bought all the new Roman sets except for the arena. There are no flaws in any of the other sets that I can see. All the printing is clean and crisp. Every figure stands up straight. Every casting is perfect. All the helmets fit properly. The quadriga and the galley are fantastic. Even the tent looks good.

My only complaint was the "wimpy" design of the scorpion. And, how impotent it was as a weapon. Fortunately, the crew at GW was able to come up with a solution which we posted HERE at Playmofriends!

Thanks again for a very fine review of the arena. Looks like I'm going to have to ask Santa for another present ... ;)

All the best,
Richard

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 14:35:45 »

It is possible to replace all of the simple wall sections which there are 8 of, for the seated sections to make a complete seated arena which I'm sure many people will do.

Hello again, Garry ...  :wave:

The only pictures that I have seen of the "outside" of the seated section are the two that I've attached. Could you please post some better photos?

Thanks and all the best,
Richard

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 17:18:32 »
Theres a  couple of circles to hold you r figures in by their feet and a square hole that I haven't found what it's for yet.

For me this looks like a System-X hole; maybe there is a connector available to attach a standard or flag (or something similiar) to the chariot.