Author Topic: from when does ds exists??  (Read 1616 times)

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
from when does ds exists??
« on: May 01, 2010, 19:33:15 »
from when does ds exists??
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
Re: from when does ds exists??
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 12:13:44 »
That's avery good question and one that I have been trying to find out myself.

There is already another thread on this board somewhere that I started when I got hold of a 1997 Uk catalogue. In the 97 catalogue there is a form that you filled in and sent of to get hold of what I thought was the 1st UK DS catalogue.
 However another UK board member rememberd getting items from a DS catalogue before 97 so I obviously had to research a little bit more.

After a very recent purchase on ebay from a US seller I think I now have an answer to that earlier DS UK catalogue.

The catalogue in question is the Playmobil Accessory catalogue printed on 8.93 but I don't think it was available until 1994. The one I have here was for the US market and the front  cover has the US spelling of catalog on it and the back cover has the Playmobil USA address on it. Inside none of the sets are priced so I believe that the outer cover was changed for the UK market but the inner pages stayed the same accept for page 8. On page 8 there are 2 cannons the medieval cannon is none firing to comply with US law but the western cannon still is?
I'm sure that I have also seen the same catalogue on ebay being sold as a French accessory catalogue.
I'm only human, born to make mistakes.

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 12:26:26 »
I haven't seen any other accessory catalogue on ebay or anywhere else yet so I have a theory that this was it and was availble at your local store by request from 94 - 96/97.

Here in the UK the 1997 catalogue had a form that you filled in and sent of for your Direct service catalogue.
In 1998 the direct service catalogue could be found in the centre of the large Playmobil catalogues as it still is today.
I still find it a bit odd though that there is no mention of the Accessory catalogue in the 94,95 and 96 UK catalogues that I have?

All of my Playmobil research is based on what was available to the UK market and the history of DS catalogues will probaly vary for other countries.

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 12:57:01 »
Thank you Sir Gareth!!! This was very interesting...hope i could find all the catalogues just to see what was ever available...

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 13:09:42 »
The yellow farm tank trailer must have been one of the DS parts listed for the longest time as it appears on the front of the first catalogue and has only just disappeared from the DS line.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 13:18:24 »
I just had a quick look and the turtles are not there this year, but the pine tree is...

Offline macgayver

• MrPainterElf
  • Playmo Addict
  • www.macgayverplaymobil.be
    • Macgayverplaymobil
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 14:02:19 »
The oldest one I have is printed 06/94 for the Benelux

One picture say's more then a thousand words ;)

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 14:39:47 »
The oldest one I have is printed 06/94 for the Benelux

Does it have the same front cover as the one I have posted?

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 15:53:06 »
thank you sir gareth ;)    ;) i wonder  why these catalogues are not seen on ebay as all the other catalogues?
The spirits rule !!!!