Author Topic: Contests not to compete but to share  (Read 8859 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Contests not to compete but to share
« on: February 13, 2009, 04:54:38 »
I was wondering (after reading Gordon's article) about a sort of contest . Not in the "I want to win because i have will get more votes kind" , but more of a form of sharing in an organized monthly fashion . Other sites do a photo contest so that is a possibility or how about a historically accurate Klicky or even ( my favorite ) historically inaccurate like in the article .  What do you think ?
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
Re: Contests not to compete but to share
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 06:59:56 »
I really like the idea of a monthly event where we post pictures, just for the fun of it, but I'd suggest we have no rules as to the composition (except it has to be decent).

We all love to see pictures of each other's Playmo, but not everyone is into historical or fantasy Playmo. If we had a new thread started each month by a moderator, "March Photo Thread" etc, and people who wish to (I hope everybody active on the board) just post a single picture with no comment or text, I think that would be very interesting.

Leaving it open leaves scope for camera trickery, or human/klicky interaction, or, well anything.

It's tricky to keep momentum up, my Fred & Maisie theme got a few people involved, but even I forgot my F&M figures on occasion, and have F&M shots in the camera still unposted. 

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 08:06:00 »
Sounds funny  :D

But I also do not like a restriction to a specific topic because this might prevent potential contributors to post anything (because they have a good idea to provide but it does not fit to the topic), although for sure it would make the contributions make more comparable. Anyway if it would be no competion there is no need to "compare" them.

I think, in case there should be a specific motto, this should be abstract, like we did some time ago with "friendship", so it is not stuck to a specific Playmobil theme. (I know, that "historical figure" leaves also a lot of themes open, but some of us are mainly/only specialized on modern themes ;D what would be excluded by "historical").

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 13:21:41 »
I completely agree with Little Jo.
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 13:59:06 »
I really do not care and am just throwing ideas out there  ;) . I would just like to see an event where members can contribute in a monthly event . I know for myself i work well when there are deadlines and tend to forget or put off events that are open-ended .

Martin I have so many times told my wife that i am bringing M&F with us and simply forgot to pack them . Then when on the trip I check the local stores hoping they might have a pair so i can photograph the sites  :-[ I also need to learn how to manually focus ( if possible ) so the pair and the object are in relative clarity . It is quite hard to make them look like life sized tourist and not 3 inch toys  8}
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 14:45:11 »
I really do not care and am just throwing ideas out there  ;) . I would just like to see an event where members can contribute in a monthly event . I know for myself i work well when there are deadlines and tend to forget or put off events that are open-ended .

Martin I have so many times told my wife that i am bringing M&F with us and simply forgot to pack them . Then when on the trip I check the local stores hoping they might have a pair so i can photograph the sites  :-[ I also need to learn how to manually focus ( if possible ) so the pair and the object are in relative clarity . It is quite hard to make them look like life sized tourist and not 3 inch toys  8}

You'll never see M&F in the shops, they're only available as an accessory set  :(  but hopefully anyone who ever puts in an order via their local Playmobil website could pick up a pair.

I'm all for deadlines for the photos, just open subject matter.

My suggestions would be to open a new thread each month, and lock it on the last day of the month, starting a new thread.

The thread could be left open, but only for comments, not new photos.

Chances are anyone taking part will get their photo up in the first day or two, having prepared it beforehand.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 20:25:49 by Martin Milner »

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 16:06:30 »
I like this idea! I agree it should be open to any "decent" moral theme. I am one of few members that is a 98% modern theme collector!
Although I recently acquired an original Wizards work shop complete without box, & am starting to drool over the steck design castles :-[!.......... MY WIFE :hmm:. But back to the comment, I don't have a selection of historical, fantasy, magic or cowboys & Indians, etc. so like me, anyone who wants to post pictures should not be restricted due to availability of their collection! It needs to be an open forum to show off our preferred collection displays  :yup:!
Bill
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 16:43:35 »
this is a very good idea rasputin.  :wow:
having just pirates around, maybe i will find it difficult to comply with some themes but i can always try.  :hmm:
we already have a "photography and graphics" section.  :yup:
maybe it could be posted there.  ???
... and maybe some pictures with the quality of this one (one of my all-times favourite one posted in playmoboard) can emerge...  :love:
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 16:53:17 »
Perhaps when Sylvia hits 2000 members we can do a sort of split photo contest like the one run in Collectobil

A History category
A Fantasy category
A Modern category
Etc.....................

But yes with the amount of contributors presently one will do just fine . 

I would be happy to start it i just need input on how to organise the dates .

starts ? ( maybe at the begining of the month )
entries due by ? ( maybe the 15th )
closed ? ( maybe the end )

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 19:46:48 »
Sounds good to me, Rasputin!
... and then dusk came and brought despair.