Author Topic: Any Interest in Trains?  (Read 6009 times)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Any Interest in Trains?
« on: February 16, 2006, 14:48:29 »
Hello, Playmofriends ...

I could start a poll, but I would much rather read everyone's thoughts about this.

A lot of us get excited about Playmobil trains as the Christmas holiday approaches. Then after Christmas the interest in toy trains seems to fade for some. But, then again there are a few of us who want more than just a loop of track, once a year, around the tree.

If there is enough interest, i would be happy to start a "how-to" discussion here.

There is so much available, that it's almost mind boggling.

First, there are the track options. There are turn-outs (switch track, points), cross tracks, different radius curves, extendable straights, etc.

Then, there's the power! Different size (and voltage) transformers (transformators), power blocks, electric switches, magnetic trips, accessories, and so on ...

Finally control! Do you only want to vary the power to the track by moving a lever on your power source? Or, do you want complete control by sending an RF (radio frequency) signal down the track directly to the locomotive (engine, lok)?

Of course there are other considerations as well. Are your trains indoors, outdoors or both? (If you have your trains outdoors, do you want to have a garden railroad with plants and little streams and ponds? If your trains are indoors do you have, or want, a table or an overhead layout?) Are your trains modern, historical or fantasy? What do you want your scenery to represent (mountains, desert, city, rural, tropical, winter, etc.)?

What I have just written are only a few of the many topics that we could discuss here. Some of you might want to mount a video camera in the front of your train so that you can have an engineer's view of your railroad. And, there may even be a few of you who would like to control your train with your computer. (There's software available to do this. There's also software available to create your own track plans complete with accessories and scenery.)

Did I mention customizing? Or, collecting?  ... ;)

Please let me know how many of you are interested, so I'll know whether or not to actually begin a "how to" discussion here.

All the best,
Richard

Offline Meg

• Playmo Addict
Re: Any Interest in Trains?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 17:02:41 »
I am intrigued
But I am only one person
And my plans for setting up the train(s) lie off into the "future"

My interested are in indoor setups, and that includes overhead rails, too

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 17:44:12 »
Hello  Richard  :)

I think it would be a great idea to start a discussion. I have allways been interested in real railways as well as 'OO' Gauge model railways. My downfall was that i have allways liked scale and to an extent realism. When i had my model railway i wanted to run full length trains but knew this would never be possible. I could never pretend that my freight train pulling 10 coal hoppers was actually pulling 34. I could not even decide on a layout because i wanted to model lots of different things that would be just impossible on a 8'x4' board. Sadly everything was packed away and my love for model railways faded to be replaced by Playmobil.
Until recently i have not been drawn in to making a Playmobil railway as i allways preferred modern traction. Then Playmobil started to tempt me with the NEW sets which finally include a realistic modern passenger carrage. The fact that this is after all Playmobil means i can finally get over my 'scale' / 'realism' issues and run smaller trains. With this in mind any information, tips and tricks you can offer would be very interesting and much appreciated. It would be great to have a Playmobil railway running through my garden and i am intrigued by how you could run one from a PC.

Kindest Regards  Tim  :wave:

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 21:53:02 »
Hello, Meg and Tim ...

Thank you both for responding. But, as Meg said, she is only one person. And, unless there's more interest, maybe a "how to" for Playmobil trains should wait until PF is a bit larger and there's a few more members who are interested in Playmobil trains.

In the meantime, maybe some interest can be encouraged by posting articles and photos. I will stay on the lookout for things about Playmobil trains.

Thanks again, Meg and Tim.

All the best,
Richard

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 00:23:15 »
I cetainly am interested in many of those topics.
Perhaps I will start a thread with my biggest need in it. :)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 02:49:09 »
I cetainly am interested in many of those topics.
Perhaps I will start a thread with my biggest need in it. :)

Thanks, Tim ... :)

Offline Captain Henry

• Pirate King!
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 04:22:37 »
Thanks for posing the question Richard. Let's see how much response we get.

I for one, have always loved model railroading. When I was a kid I had an HO layout on a 4x8 sheet of plywood. As an adult, I began collecting N scale, since I wanted to have a large layout in a small area. And now that I am child again ;) I am collecting the Playmobil G scale trains. i still think the N scale trains are wonderful, but they are too delicate to share with my kids. And by the time the kids are old enough for N scale, me eyes will be too old for it! ;D

So, G-scale (specifically Playmobil) it is. I am in the (always ongoing) process of clearing some space in the basement in which to build my layout. When I am done, I hope to have an area about 24 feet long and anywhere from 6 to 8 feet wide. One of the things I need to do is incorporate storage (lots of it) beneath the layout, because I cannot just lose that floor space, it will have to serve double duty. As far as outdoors, I do not have a lot of level space, but there is an area where I could put a temporary oval. Last fall I planted some plants that I have fallen in love with, called nandina. They are beautiful, perfectly formed Playmobil scale trees! Very cool! :)

Anyway, I'd be very interested in participating in any type of discussion involving Trains! And, as Tim did, I will start a few thread to promote that discussion, as well as show off some old pix I found when I was cleaning up some files. Some of you may have seen them, but I hope you feel they are worth seeing a second time!

Thanks again, Richard!
He who rules the seas, rules the world! And pirates rule the seas! -- Captain Henry

Offline Customizer

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 20:42:15 »
Hi Playmofriends,

im a very big fan and collector from playmo-trains and LGB trains so let us discuss all topics here !!

Great idea Richard lets start !!

gentle greets

Andi

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 13:26:53 »

Great idea Richard lets start !!

How about sharing some fotos of your trains with us, Andi? ... :)

Richard

Offline EDWINMODELS

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 16:39:06 »

I am interested in both g-scale trains and playmobil I have tried various different types of trains and am now returning to LGB. One problem I had was deciding between realism and playmobil. So have now decided to have a smaller collection and have a bit of both. As for running a train from your pc LGB make a control system called MTS or multi train system. Whereas each loco is fitted with a decoding chip. So instead of the traditional transformer supplying power to the loco and you requiring isolating sections to stop the power going to stopped locos you have power constantly on and the individual locos pick up on the pulses been sent down the track to the locos decoder that has been preset to pick up on a particular code. If you do a search for the 'G SCALE SOCIETY' you will see various layouts with lots of playmobil accessories. Including my friend Pat's. He is a Clown/children's entertainer based in Edinburgh and has a playmobil circus which his trains run around.

Regards EDWINMODELS