Author Topic: 4769 Barbarian with dog.  (Read 6992 times)

Offline conniefrere

• Playmo Master
4769 Barbarian with dog.
« on: July 06, 2012, 10:16:32 »
Ever since I first saw this guy I just wanted to have a couple. Playmobil calls him the barbarian, but what is a barbarian? Ancient Greeks used the word bar-bar-ois for non-greek speaking people and because they don't speak Greek they were barbarians. Later Romans used the term referring to the Germanic tribes and much later for the Huns. So a lot of different people would be called barbarian depending on whose calling the so, I don't thinks the Germanic tribes and Huns would have called themselves barbarians. A lot of blah blah...

For me this barbarian is of Germanic origin and later joined the Roman artillery, hence his body armor. After his legion was defeated he wanders alone with his dog and fights for whoever pays him.

Here are some pictures together with another barbarian from Playmobil who welcomes his brother.

:playmo: :egypt: :roman: :builder: :playmo:

Offline conniefrere

• Playmo Master
Re: 4769 Barbarian with dog.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 10:27:32 »
As you can see, there's not a lot of new extra stuff. The dog is the shepperd's dog 6204, and the cane is available in a lot of sets as is the campfire and the flail. I do not know if the chicken is new, but I like it a lot especially that it can be plugged to the stick  :)

The klicky itself looks great! As I said for me he looks half Roman half Germanic warrior. His hair is the same as the Gaul/Celt 4752 but in black.
I think there are a lot of possibilities by mixing this guy up with Gauls, other pm barbarians, Huns, Knights to make a nice barbarian horde. (Which I'm planning to do!)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 11:10:03 »
An interesting choice of items by Playmobil for this set and an excellent background story and review.  Thank you.   :wave:
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Markassius

• Future Knight
  • Playmo Enthusiast
  • Knights and Future, what a combo
    • My collection
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 11:14:15 »
I got this set too and am very happy with it.
My story is about a lone viking who needs to make his way home to his family. His trusted dog by his side.

Q: the stick-with-chicken won't stay firm in his hand. I think it is too thin. Do you have the same problem?
It's OK to panic, as long as you follow the correct procedure

Offline Lynx

• PlaymoChess
  • Playmo Addict
  • The Story Of Randolph * PlaymoChess
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 11:17:38 »
Thanks for the review Jan, this kind of warriors are really my cup of tea.. mix some with Celts and Gauls and you can make every hurde you want. I'm planning to puchase some myself. If some members want a spare dog (what should I do with all those dogs?), just let me know.
RANDOLPH, a comic with Playmobil! Click for part: [1] [2] [3]

Offline conniefrere

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 11:18:55 »
Q: the stick-with-chicken won't stay firm in his hand. I think it is too thin. Do you have the same problem?

Not when taking this picture, I guess it depends on where the klicky grabs the stick? At the end the stick is somewhat less thick.

Offline conniefrere

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 11:52:27 »
Thanks for the review Jan, this kind of warriors are really my cup of tea.. mix some with Celts and Gauls and you can make every hurde you want. I'm planning to puchase some myself. If some members want a spare dog (what should I do with all those dogs?), just let me know.

You're welcome Joost, indeed excellent klicky to customize in a lot of ways. Minor thing is the red shoes...but I don't mind. And concerning the dogs I have quite a pack already now too  :lol: :lol:

Offline Erik

• Playmobil crusader / Toyhunter
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 12:02:14 »
I bought some for the black/silver bodies.The bodies will be highly customizable for medieval mercenaries and such.
I don't like those red boots, a shame they're not black or brown.
The only figures that can "get away" with such colourful footwear are flashy "landsknechts" imho. :)
The most valiant knights are made of German plastic!!!

Offline conniefrere

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 12:23:27 »
I bought some for the black/silver bodies.The bodies will be highly customizable for medieval mercenaries and such.
I don't like those red boots, a shame they're not black or brown.
The only figures that can "get away" with such colourful footwear are flashy "landsknechts" imho. :)

Brown would have been ideal. On the other hand the color of his sleaves matches his shoes  :)

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 12:30:59 »
Thanks for the review . I will add a few dozen to my 180+ gaul army  :love: :love: :love:
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight: