Author Topic: 6465 vintage street lamp  (Read 7104 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: 6465 vintage street lamp
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2016, 19:02:46 »
Rather than buying one of the working streetlamps, I just asked if they had an on-off switch.  They don't.  They just have a pre-wired LED with the wires coming out through a hole drilled in the base of the lamp.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2016, 19:33:03 »
I suppose it would be useful to know the specs of the LED, where it can be obtained etc. Do they have a voltage rating, for example?
Edit: found this http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/3mm-white-led-n66kg but it is rated at 3.3 volts, so maybe no good with one battery (1.5v)?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 19:44:43 by GrahamB »
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2016, 20:08:15 »
It says 9-12V DC.  A search on Google turns up a few suppliers.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2016, 05:06:36 »
Rather than buying one of the working streetlamps, I just asked if they had an on-off switch.  They don't.  They just have a pre-wired LED with the wires coming out through a hole drilled in the base of the lamp.

Did the seller give any recommendation of what to attach the leads to for optimal operation?

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2016, 08:38:30 »
I don't have the email with their reply any more.  I used a six volt LED from a 4018 Playmobil train with a 1.5 volt AA battery on when I tried it out as the battery fitted into the street lamp column.

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2016, 20:38:29 »
And that worked just fine?

You can get power bars for dollhouse lights and special sockets for the lights.  That might work.

Here are a couple of articles that give some brief information that may be of help:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/dollhouse_news/FEB2009/dollhouse-lights.html

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/dollhouse_news/FEB2009/dollhouse-electrical.html

I have to admit I was very disappointed when I bought some of these and they had no lights!  (Especially as a couple of them were a gift …)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2016, 20:44:41 »
This was just testing to see what could be done.

With only 1.5v the LED was dim (on the train it gets roughly 6v), so if you want an impressive light you need more volts.  You also need some way of turning the lamps on or off, so if you have a number of lamps then a common power source with a switch is the answer.  With just one lamp, an appropriate battery hidden away which you just connect or disconnect would work.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2016, 14:13:15 »