Author Topic: 6465 vintage street lamp  (Read 7206 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
6465 vintage street lamp
« on: September 20, 2016, 13:45:37 »
I recently bought some of the re-issued Victorian street lamps from Playmobil Direct Service, and here's a brief review.

The lamp costs £4 and comes in 4 parts in its sealed plastic bag.  Assembly is easy with the lamp glass just sliding in to the lamp frame and the lid and base just clipping on.

The base has three clips which hold the body in place.

The hole in the base of the "glass" and the top of the column is square, but that doesn't stop an LED fitting in it if you want to have the light working.  In the picture, the LED is taken from a Playmobil train set.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: 6465 vintage street lamp
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 13:57:56 »
The wires from the LED can be simply fed down the column of the lamp and out the side, although you will have to cut a slot in the base for this.  Alternatively, if you are planning to fix the lamp to, say, a station platform, you would drill a hole through the base and the platform and run the wires through those to a power supply. 

There is some appropriate detail moulded into the sides of the base of the lamp column, and for those with a steady hand and good eye, this could be highlighted with brush or pen in gold or some other suitable colour.    The two circles on the column, btw, are greatly exaggerated by the lighting in this picture.  In real life, they are barely visible and certainly not noticeable.

As regards size, this is the lamp alongside a standard 7.5cm Playmobil figure, with her boyfriend showing off to the camera. 

For those who want actual figures, the height is approx 18.5cm or 7 and one eighth inches.

Overall, a nice addition to a station or street scene.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 14:04:17 by playmofire »
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline The_Mad_Hadder

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 14:25:38 »
Great review
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop." Lewis Carroll

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 16:48:35 »
Thanks for that review, playmofire! I loved the show-off guy!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 05:01:41 »
Thanks for the review. Time for some Narnia dios.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 09:24:03 »
I just got two of these, but I need four at least. It looks like the old ones were powered by battery. I don't know if I will attempt electrifying them.

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 22:24:52 »
I just got two of these, but I need four at least. It looks like the old ones were powered by battery. I don't know if I will attempt electrifying them.

Yes, I seem to remember an AA battery sat in the base. I remember having one in my hand from a 'bargain bin', though I didn't buy it :(

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 02:37:54 »
The base will still take an AA battery, all that is needed is a means of connecting it to the LED.

Does anyone have the instruction leaflet for the original lamp?

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 07:58:39 »
The base will still take an AA battery, all that is needed is a means of connecting it to the LED.

Does anyone have the instruction leaflet for the original lamp?

Connecting the battery should be easy enough, but how were the old ones turned off? Did you just remove the battery when you were done?

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 15:20:57 »
I have the plans from 5360, the fence, and 5340, the post by itself with the roses man. No harm in posting the crop from the 5360 here, I suppose. I don't have an original lamppost, unfortunately, but I have a new one.

The base twisted to turn the light on and off - on the plans, the base looks like it contained a metal bit to open and close the connection with the battery. The bulb looks pretty standard... Gordon, you probably have one in your firetruck bits.

The inventory for 6465 - Vintage Street Lamp came from the official site. Two of the five parts appear on the plans for the old sets. Of the others, "30 06 2320 STREET LIGHT POST" and "30 24 9503 STREET LIGHT BASE II" are obvious but I wonder what "30 60 8710 Straßenlaterne-Zubehör" are. By its number order, I think it's in the original, too.  (I'll get those others categorized properly now when I get a minute.)
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!