Author Topic: New catalog / new items January 2018?  (Read 6338 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: New catalog / new items January 2018?
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 22:18:49 »
from US site:

"6556 Boy's Room OR Kid's Room"

:lol:

Same on the UK site.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 04:07:59 »
There is a good deal of amateurishness about a lot of the behavior of the Gnomes of Zirndorf...it's at once endearing and infuriating.

:love: >:( :hmm: ??? ::) :-\ :o 8-) :( :D ;) :) :lol:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 09:08:04 »
Surely they could just hire a native English speaker with good grammar to go through and edit anything that sounds off, like the "Secret Police Box" and "Hotel Playa." Translation blips would be adorable if they were a German-only company, but they're supposed to be an international brand.

:house:
Dear Playmobil,
I could use another job, I have a language degree and very good grammar, and I understand the full sketchiness of your set names.

Offline leefert

• Playmo Master
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 18:48:07 »
Winter fun stuff and Aquarium is all available on PM USA site
I'm glad that I'm not the only one :)

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 21:35:48 »
Translation blips would be adorable if they were a German-only company, but they're supposed to be an international brand.

I think they see themselves more as a European brand, not international as such. Compare the international site choices available on l*go.com to the ones on playmobil.com. PM only has three countries outside Europe, all of them in North America.

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2018, 08:21:16 »
I think they see themselves more as a European brand, not international as such. Compare the international site choices available on l*go.com to the ones on playmobil.com. PM only has three countries outside Europe, all of them in North America.

True, though, last time I checked, English is a pretty popular language in Europe...

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2018, 19:52:12 »
True, though, last time I checked, English is a pretty popular language in Europe...

Sure, but you don't localize e.g. a Spanish site in English. I can't actually see .com anymore (it forces me to .us), but as I recall they only had three English sites: US, UK and Canada. Maybe Ireland too? So the majority of their sites, and I presume the majority of their business, is done in languages other than English.

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 19:54:08 »
Winter fun stuff and Aquarium is all available on PM USA site

And a bunch of other stuff, like the hunting party, the Eskimo family  :love: ... also the music room is back. Now the cat and mouse game: buy now, or wait for 20% sale and risk missing out?  :-\  :D

Offline bml87

• Mayor of Deadwood
  • Playmo Addict
  • Collecting Western and animal themes.
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 20:19:13 »
And a bunch of other stuff, like the hunting party, the Eskimo family  :love: ... also the music room is back. Now the cat and mouse game: buy now, or wait for 20% sale and risk missing out?  :-\  :D

For some items I don’t dare to play that game anymore! Since I missed some items because of waiting too long, I buy them immediately (at least, those I want the most) ... but in the Benelux we are still waiting for the update of the DS :( ...
Boris from Belgium - My collection - My dioramas:  Western Town II & North American forest

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2018, 09:59:10 »
Sure, but you don't localize e.g. a Spanish site in English. I can't actually see .com anymore (it forces me to .us), but as I recall they only had three English sites: US, UK and Canada. Maybe Ireland too? So the majority of their sites, and I presume the majority of their business, is done in languages other than English.

Certainly, German is their main language, and they have a good presences in some of the Spanish and French markets; but surely the US, the UK, Ireland, and Canada are sufficiently large to justify a proofreader to go through the names of new sets before they are released? They went through the effort to translate them, but not the effort to make sure they weren't "off." Plus there are a whole bunch of countries that use English as a second language.

PM. us definitely has stocking issues. I got a notice that some set was back in stock yesterday, and today it's out again.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 10:09:43 by Ismene »