Author Topic: My collection of all things western for playmobil including Native aboriginals.  (Read 48833 times)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
(think of the camp follower from 3891)

I just looked up 3891. What an incredible set that is. Subtle yet strong. Like the Merry Men set, there are several clear potential storylines, yet nothing is heavy handed (no OMG GOOD GUYS VS BAD GUYS). A lot of space is left for the child's imagination.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
I always enjoy seeing them as well. Playmobil doesn't have the best record with Native American accuracy though. They have made some great sets like the Travois one, but tend to mix their tribes badly, like putting a totem pole with a teepee or using a kachina as a toy for a Plains girl.

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
Good point. They are more Karl May fantasy Indians than accurate portrayals.

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
3787 is definitely a favourite of mine.

Mad Hatter, thanks for wetting my appetite for the saloon! I sold mine a while ago in a feeble attempt to control my collection but now you made me buy Molly Brown again. Just the figure, and it was a bargain, so thank you for that.

Now we're on the topic: this is very sympathetic review of the set: http://www.16bit.com/playmobil-3787-saloon.asp. Some lovely wallpapers too.

Best wishes
StJohn

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
Good point. They are more Karl May fantasy Indians than accurate portrayals.
They've gone off the deep end with the historic themes, most of their energies appear to be modern focused. Knights are largely fantasy, Romans aren't too bad, but not great either - still looking forward to that new Caesar and Cleopatra set though. Western family was a collection of old parts mashed together - Spanish dancing lady with cowboy, girl with cowboy hat? Not accurate in the least unless they were part of a travelling carnival.
Then they do really nice things like the Milkmaid by Vermeer.

Offline The_Mad_Hadder

• Playmo Addict
Only two items showed up today. The first one I have no clue what her product number is or if she was a give away. If any one here can shed some light it would be most helpful.

Front side

Rear side
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop." Lewis Carroll

Offline The_Mad_Hadder

• Playmo Addict
Playmobil 3395 showed up today, as always enjoy:

Front Artwork

Rear Artwork

Side Artwork
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop." Lewis Carroll

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
Great stuff Mads. Love seeing these.

They've gone off the deep end with the historic themes, most of their energies appear to be modern focused. Knights are largely fantasy, Romans aren't too bad, but not great either - still looking forward to that new Caesar and Cleopatra set though. Western family was a collection of old parts mashed together - Spanish dancing lady with cowboy, girl with cowboy hat? Not accurate in the least unless they were part of a travelling carnival.
Then they do really nice things like the Milkmaid by Vermeer.

Well the Vermeer and Goethe and so on are all commissions by museums and suchlike. They fly off the shelves of course because that is what PM is perfectly positioned to be: The Cultural Toy. Educational even. The main themes are dumbing down as you point out. Americanizing. They are becoming as thematically sloppy as American toys.

When will the Gnomes of Zirndorf learn the lesson of Luther.

This is one context in which I would say "more diversity please". More actual distinctive cultural sets, and tone down the American influence. Even just the themes they already have could be revolutionised. Can you imagine a knights theme with actual historic personages? Richard Lionheart, the Black Prince - every European country has its famous knights. These klickies could be produced with their accurate historical heraldry, plus supporting troops (distinguished by nation, e.g. English with longbows, Germans and Scots with two handed swords, etc.), plus girlfriends, courtiers...They hinted at this years ago when they did that beautiful Swan Knight, who is of course a figure of European mythology.

Sorry for jacking your thread Mads, this topic is one I feel passionately about. We now return you to your regularly scheduled sweet vintage Western sets. May we see their like again.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 08:26:29 by Macruran »

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
Order, order! Mad Hatter has a good thing going here, please do not sidetrack with the same old hobby horses.

I want to go back to the point that Macruran raised:

They are more Karl May fantasy Indians than accurate portrayals.

True! It is hard to overrate the impact of Karl May stories and their spinoffs on German culture and beyond. This explains why until recently the Western theme has been so prominent with PM (much more pronounced than, say, in the Lego catalogue), and why it takes liberties with the American original. Nonetheless, there are some great authentic details in the Native American sets: for example, the funeral scaffold from set 3870 just blows my socks off (and begs the question of what such thing is doing in a play set?? :lol:).

But I struggle to understand the ACW theme with PM. I mean, the brand does not touch modern warfare (but compensates this with an extreme focus on violence in sets for any older period ;D), which is fair enough, but why then go for the ACW? I mean, this isn't some safe "exotic" violence like a knights’ melee, it was a proper modern war! I understand that it fits the Western theme, but what I really would like to know is whether the American Civil War somehow appealed to the (German) consumer of the time to merit developing the pertinent sets. Was ACW a topic in (children’s) literature and TV back in the 70s / early 80s? Does it feature in the Karl May narrative? I love to know more about the genesis of the sub-theme.

Best wishes
StJohn

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
the same old hobby horses

I'm talking about version 2 horses, not version 1