Author Topic: Do you need a complete list of all Playmobil sets?  (Read 19662 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Do you need a complete list of all Playmobil sets?
« on: June 27, 2016, 19:39:43 »
Here is one I have made on an Excel Spreadsheet. All sets

(I can make this available in other formats, just ask! I have colour coded the background or text in some cells, but this colour information may not be saved in other formats).

Why did I do this? I found no one source of information on PM sets to be totally comprehensive. I also wanted  to be able to sort and filter the information and search for words in the set titles, so a spreadsheet seemed a good idea. (If you want some tips on sorting, filtering and searching, see below!). It's a useful  way of keeping track of sets we have too (a tick list!)

I collected data from several sources and cross-referenced. I have (so far) only included 4-digit set numbers (4972 sets) and unless they appear in PlaymoDB, I have not included GIG, BASA, Antex, Kenbrite, Lyra, Japanese, Canadian, Korean, Marx-Toys, or Schaper sets (pages 359-491 of Collector). I did include all 'Export sets', many Spanish sets (35 out of 91 sets) and all Mattel and Playmobil (USA) sets.

I used the following sources:

1.   www.playmoDB.org (for set names, themes, set numbers, klickies per set)

2.   Collector 3rd edition (for many release dates, set versions; I have also given page numbers for all sets on pages 18-358, 492-540 and 550-2)

3.   Datenbank-Setinhalt mit Inhaltsverzeichnis at http://www.klickywelt.de/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=48354&sid=d4ef1bcbea20513954b2c305f9a0562c (Photos of set contents of many pre-1990 and a few post-1990 sets, some set contents still sealed in original bags, some sets show box pictures only)

4.   www.playmobil.de (Produkt-Arkiv, Building Instructions pdfs available)

5.   www.klickypedia .com

6.   Searches of PF and klickywelt topics

7.   Google searches

I also made a list of all unused set numbers (currently 1,339) in the ranges 3000-7999 and 9000-9999. There are 291 numbers used for more than one set.

There are no links to web pages in this spreadsheet, so it will not update automatically, but I have a system (manual, time-consuming!) to check when Heather adds sets to PlaymoDB, or changes the Theme to which a set is allocated (but I will probably miss changes to set names). I also used Heather's frequent updates in the PF topic pdfs online at playmobil.com to check on new pdfs becoming available. (Unfortunately my total for pdfs does not quite tally with Heather's).

Any corrections to data will be gratefully received. Please feel free to make use of this data elsewhere.

The data in a few columns is not yet complete (column title in red text), such as whether the klickies in a set have freely-rotatable wrists or (as in most pre-1982 sets) fixed wrists. I did not include the 'Focus' which Heather has ascribed to each set in PlaymoDB, which some might have found useful.

Some more notes, relating to each column in the spreadsheet are in the second tab of the sheet. Other tabs show analysis of themes, year of release, klickies per set, etc.

At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Re: Do you need a complete list of all Playmobil sets?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 19:43:55 »
Sort, Filter and Find in an Excel Spreadsheet.

I am sure similar procedures apply in other spreadsheet programs.

'Sort' means 'rearrange how the rows of data appear on the screen.'

For example, the data is currently arranged in order of set number. If you wanted it arranged in order of something else (e.g. year of release), follow these steps:
1.   Highlight all the rows you want to rearrange as follows:
    a.   click on the row numbers at the left hand side, starting with row 4
    b.   drag to highlight all rows down to row 5416- it takes a little while!
2.   Click on the 'Data' tab, then click on the 'Sort' option, then
    a.   select Column I in the drop-down list in the 'Sort by' box, then
    b.   click on OK.
3.   You can choose a second column as a subsidiary sort. For example, with 'Release date' (column I) as the primary sort criterion, you might choose 'Set number' (Column A) to put the sets in set number order within each year (this is the way in which Collector sorts sets, for example).

(Those familiar with spreadsheets may use a 'header row' as the basis of sorting, but in this spreadsheet there are 3 header rows, so that method would be possible only by deleting 2 rows, perhaps rows 1 and 3).

If you are not careful about what cells have been marked prior to sorting, Sort can really mess up a spreadsheet, so I seldom use it. A much better command is Filter...

'Filter' means 'hide certain rows so you only see the ones you are interested in'.

Filtering rarely messes up the spreadsheet data. You can filter one column or several. It is probably best to make all columns filterable to start with:
1.   Click in the extreme top left corner of the spreadsheet (above the 1 and to the left of the A) to mark all the cells in the spreadsheet
2.   Click on Filter in the Data tab. A small white arrow appears at the top of each column. (the view of the spreadsheet often jumps to the right, so scroll horizontally using the slider at the bottom right, back to the columns you are interested in)
3.   Decide what you are interested in (e.g. Theme, column E), then
   a.   click on the arrow at the top of that column,
   b.   uncheck 'Select all' at the top of the list, then
   c.   click anything you are interested in, e.g. 'Leisure' and 'Freetime'.
   d.   Click OK and the software hides all rows except those with Leisure or Freetime in column E. It also hides the column headings (rows 1, 2, 3), which can be inconvenient. To avoid this, click on the arrow again and click on the column heading in the list - 'Theme in PlaymoDB' in this case. Click on OK. All column headings will now be shown

Of course you can do the same thing on PlaymoDB ('Choose from all themes' on Home Page, or 'Show sets by theme' on any other page, select Leisure and Freetime, click List Sets) and you get set pictures too!

But with spreadsheet filters, you can filter several columns at once, so if you wanted 'Police sets issued in 1983 or earlier, with 5 or more klickies', you filter columns E (choose Police), column I (choose each year 1974, 1974.5, 1975... to 1983) and column M (choose 5 and 7 klickies- there are no sets with 6 klickies and the other two ctiteria) .. and you get 5 sets. Want to see pictures of them? Copy the block of 5 cells in column B (which have PlaymoDB set numbers) and paste the selection into the box at http://www.playmodb.org/cgi-bin/your_set_list.pl, click on Submit and the set pictures are displayed.

Find

If you are looking for a specific set but can only remember part of the name, this can be very useful. For example, to find the 'Merry Men's Feast' set, searching for 'Merry' gives four hits

In the 'Home' tab, click on 'Find' at the right hand side, or a quicker way is to hold the control (CTRL) key and type F.

In the box which appears, type in the search item (e.g. a set number, part of a set name, etc.) and click on 'Find Next'. The view of the spreadsheet will jump to a cell containing that search term. If it isn't exactly what you are looking for, click on 'Find Next' again.

You can also click on 'Find all' and you get a list at the bottom of the box showing all occurrences of your search term. Click on the one you want and the view will jump to that entry.

(If you get the message 'Microsoft Excel cannot find the data you are searching for', click OK and then make sure you have not inadvertently selected a small group of cells (if so, click on any single cell and try again). Or, turn off any filters (click on 'Filter' in the 'Data' tab). Then try the 'Find' action again.)
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 01:28:49 »
GrahamB this is incredible. I cannot thank you enough.

:woohoo: :banana: :apple: :thanks:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 07:49:12 »
a work of love, thanks for sharing GrahamB, I'm sure it will be very useful, thank you for letting me save a copy :)

Offline Raven

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 11:37:29 »
This is wonderful!   :)
Have a good time, make life cheerful and bright, dance if you want to, sing if you can, play as long as you live and leave the world with a smile - Lemuel K. Washburn

Offline tigana123

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Chief Architect
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 12:19:38 »
This is very helpful...

Thank you

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 14:29:09 »
het GrahamB,
sometimes when a plan has 2 numbers e.g.7619/7683, we should just save it twice under the second number as well, right?
and is it possible that sometimes playmobil.de removes a plan for some reasons? e.g. I can't find 3038/3050/3057  :P

Offline Daniela

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 17:11:52 »
WOW, thanks Graham, that´s amazing!  :love:
Enjoy my Playmobil Opera and much more:
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/102361137865573914508

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 17:18:51 »
Thanks for your comments!

Cheng, the column showing PDFs of building plans shows all the numbers I got a result for at www.playmobil.co.uk (I think the other playmobil sites, .de, .com, etc. show the same results). 7683 doesn't give a result, although it is covered by the 7619 instructions. For now, I will enter "see 7619" on the row for 7683, to indicate that you have to look up 7619 to get the 7683 instructions (if you follow me...) I had already done this for a couple of other sets and doing this for all sets which share instructions would certainly be possible, but I don't have a list of such sets, so that would need some more research....

You are correct - 3038, 3050 and 3057 don't have PDFs available. Maybe I put these in by mistake, or maybe the PDFs have been removed from the website, I don't know. I will take them off the list. My total of PDFs now comes to 2253, while Heather's comes to 2246, so there are probably another 7 sets I have entered in error or whose PDFs have been removed. Let me know if you find them!

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 18:25:47 »
some more research....

So, I checked the 209 sets listed as 'USA' in the market column (quite a few US sets were equivalent to sets issued elsewhere with a different number) on PlaymoDB and found about 40 with equivalents, but nearly all of these had 'working' pdf numbers for both sets (if you enter either number at playmobil.co.uk, you get the instructions for both sets). I found only 4 where this didn't work, so I entered 'see ----').

If anyone finds any more errors or has any more suggestions, let me know!

Updated spreadsheet available here, All sets V2