Author Topic: new toys r us set  (Read 2833 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
new toys r us set
« on: December 04, 2007, 18:55:13 »
i do not know if this was mentioned allready but i was in Toys R us and saw this set as # 5775
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
Re: new toys r us set
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 22:49:12 »
andi found some pictures form this set in the "new u.s. sets" thread - http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=1515.0.
it brings nothing really new and i think everybody was a little disapointed.
it is a mix of an old schooner with a new small fortress.
your big pictures are quite nice though, rasputin.
:)
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 00:54:37 »
Hey, wow, look at the pirate hanging from the rigging with the black brimmed hat.

With a little bit of a makeover, you could turn him into a tibetan or mongolian herdsman (they wear cowboy hats on the steppes, but not with rolled brims like American style).

Offline core

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 08:16:53 »
How's your Playmobil selection at your local TRU?  Compared to the past couple of years, the ones around here in the Mid-West region (okay, Texas/Oklahoma is all I've checked) has dramatically reduced selection.  They had the new Jetliner for a while here and re-stocked, but that was it, no Airport, etc.  It looks like the main stay is the Pirate line (also @ Target), the only large Knights set is the Eagle Castle, and nothing else.  I guess local market forces at work ...
Peter

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 15:30:40 »
How's your Playmobil selection at your local TRU?  Compared to the past couple of years, the ones around here in the Mid-West region (okay, Texas/Oklahoma is all I've checked) has dramatically reduced selection.  They had the new Jetliner for a while here and re-stocked, but that was it, no Airport, etc.  It looks like the main stay is the Pirate line (also @ Target), the only large Knights set is the Eagle Castle, and nothing else.  I guess local market forces at work ...

I haven't checked "Toys Russian-R Us" in a year, but last time there they had a tiny selection at steep discount.  My mother who appears to visit there frequently says the one she went to had nothing. 

But, their website has a lot of stuff.  Including the otherwise unreleased dinosaur series (the set with the Ankylosaurus).

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 20:17:05 »
I had no idea they had toys r us in Russia ? do you know if they have one in Moscow ? I can ask my brother to pick up a few things . I asked him a year or so ago to check for the German sets in local stores there and he said he could not find any at all. He might have not looked very hard. He did say on his last visit on Thanksgiving he saw a few sets at very expensive prices . Maybe Toys r us there does not mark up as much ?
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 01:41:39 »
I had no idea they had toys r us in Russia ? do you know if they have one in Moscow ? I can ask my brother to pick up a few things . I asked him a year or so ago to check for the German sets in local stores there and he said he could not find any at all. He might have not looked very hard. He did say on his last visit on Thanksgiving he saw a few sets at very expensive prices . Maybe Toys r us there does not mark up as much ?

I was joking about the "Russian R"!  When I was in junior high school, the cold war was still raging, and a friend of mine jokingly referred to the reverse R of the Toys R Us logo as being a subversive communist symbol (backward R is "ya" in Cyrillic).

As for the state of Russian toys and Playmobil, your brother's experiences sound like what I encountered in Beijing.  To find decent toys you have to go to expensive specialty shops, and even there the variety is poor.

-Tim

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 03:13:48 »
I thought so  ;D I could only imagine what they would sell for there . everything is like 10 times more expensive in moscow and there are very few kids .