Poll

what is/would be my favourite construction system?

plain old steck
14 (35.9%)
a revised and improved steck
12 (30.8%)
plain old system-x
2 (5.1%)
a revised and improved system-x
5 (12.8%)
a totally new system yet to exist
1 (2.6%)
i really don't care, i just want great sets
5 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: July 02, 2010, 17:30:22

Author Topic: STECK vs. SYSTEM-X, a poll  (Read 10568 times)

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
Re: STECK vs. SYSTEM-X, a poll
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 06:28:05 »
There's a moral in there somewhere...

In terms of castles, Steck builds better lookign castles.

In terms of Hospitals, Police Stations, Fire Stations, Magical Fairy Castles etc, there isn't a Steck version.

I think the love for Steck stems from the fact that there are quite a lot of medieval lovers around here and the fact that Steck does what it does so very well.

There are Steck castles and System X castles and amongst castle lovers Steck wins out. Personally this is because it is just much faster to build with and looks VERY good.

However there is none (very little) Steck available for Modern projects. I recently got the building from

cheap and it's a great Steck building. With even more modern looking steck I can easily see how it could work. But for now SysX wins out because of availability by a long way purely based on availibity.

Thats why I chose the "improved Steck" option. Some of the people that like SysX might like Steck more if it was available for their theme.

Or maybe I have only used SysX to build modern buildings yet and no castle and I am biased because of that and I am entire;y wrong :-)

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 18:38:57 »
There's a moral in there somewhere...

In terms of castles, Steck builds better lookign castles.

In terms of Hospitals, Police Stations, Fire Stations, Magical Fairy Castles etc, there isn't a Steck version.

there was a steck hospital !!!!
 here is it: 

http://www.playmobil.ch/on/demandware.store/Sites-CH-Site/de_CH/Product-Show?pid=3432-A&cgid=1982
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 19:04:01 »

there was a steck hospital !!!!
 here is it: 

http://www.playmobil.ch/on/demandware.store/Sites-CH-Site/de_CH/Product-Show?pid=3432-A&cgid=1982

Ah yes!!! I've forgotten about this!! Its beautifull, although limited and not suitable fro modern age...it reminds me of hospitals that we can see in WWII movies...like Bridge over the river Kwai, or others like that...

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 19:09:13 »
Ah yes!!! I've forgotten about this!! Its beautifull, although limited and not suitable fro modern age...it reminds me of hospitals that we can see in WWII movies...like Bridge over the river Kwai, or others like that...

true it's not a sity clinic it's for somewhere africa or somehow i don't take it from my mind it's listed with animals elephants etc... and with the safari house http://www.collectobil.com/images/items/3433.jpg
in dioramas !!!
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 23:44:32 »
;) if you all steck lovers could help me on this - if we follow indianna's simple and clever idea to use plugs on system-x (http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=4623.45) do you think the result would be so different from steck?  :hmm:
just let me say that i can see some advantages on system-x:
- it already has a 4 way connector;
- it already has base plates;
- it is a completely "reversable" system, allowing to create walls with 2 different texture finishings.
the way i see it, playmo-figures are not that "realistic" in their proportions and looks.  ::)
don't you think that steck ends up being too much "realistic" than it should?
  ::)
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 23:47:01 »
I see your point. To me the beauty of Steck is in the way you build with it. It's just so much faster to built stuff at least in my experience it is and no little red and yellow bits to worry about. The change would mean even more tiny bits!

That for me is a big reason for liking steck!

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 23:59:22 »
;) if you all steck lovers could help me on this - if we follow indianna's simple and clever idea to use plugs on system-x (http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=4623.45) do you think the result would be so different from steck?  :hmm:
just let me say that i can see some advantages on system-x:
- it already has a 4 way connector;
- it already has base plates;
- it is a completely "reversable" system, allowing to create walls with 2 different texture finishings.
the way i see it, playmo-figures are not that "realistic" in their proportions and looks.  ::)
don't you think that steck ends up being too much "realistic" than it should?
  ::)
the point is what is better looking these holes on the systemx is the worst thing not speaking for castles they are not nice!!!! steck is connected with playmobil castles and if you move it a little all the walls of the castle splits!!!!!!
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 00:48:37 »
well gis, to me taking time to build is an advantage - it just prolongs the pleasure each set gives me and, in a way, i think it will be the same to children.
remembering an old thread (http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=2115.0) i have to agree with richard's point of view - that playmobil is a construction toy.
at the time i didn't quite feel the same way - i guess it happens often with me and richard - but now, seeing the way playmobil is going (fewer parts, simplistic designs, finished-no-need-to-build sets) i guess that "construction" is the right way to go.

hello playmo1989, i also disagree with you - if you add new "inside" plates on each floor the resistance of system-x will be suficient.
remember that system-x works over an "outside" base plate that can be easily "slided" in a polished floor.
i agree that system-x is not something that you should move vertically with confidence but i don't think this is a tremendous handicap.
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 03:20:33 »
You know Cachalote...
Everything you have said has been true and well thought out...
But I just can't get over my burning hatred for SysX and desiring love for Steck!
Dunno why, just can't.

Maybe it is because steck was here first... :P
Or because I like it because it is older, and brings back memories for me...
The holes are a problem, but you have said that can ofcourse be fixed with rubber plugs.

I just can't imagine myself building with SysX... Steck I can go aways building in a heartbeat and have a blast...
But I can't see myself customising, or building anything I would really like with SysX.

Part of it may be that SysX is quite small.
Really, it is much smaller then Steck, and I dont like it... :(

I can't list a very good reason for not liking SysX
(Unless these count... but I'm not sure they do... ??? )
I really have an unrasionable disliking of SysX... but I can't stop it.

I JUST NEED STECK!!!!!!!
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 06:53:52 »
well gis, to me taking time to build is an advantage - it just prolongs the pleasure each set gives me and, in a way, i think it will be the same to children.
remembering an old thread (http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=2115.0) i have to agree with richard's point of view - that playmobil is a construction toy.
at the time i didn't quite feel the same way - i guess it happens often with me and richard - but now, seeing the way playmobil is going (fewer parts, simplistic designs, finished-no-need-to-build sets) i guess that "construction" is the right way to go.

I see your point and agree with parts of it.

For me time is at a premium. I only have the weekend around my Playmobil and lead a generally busy life with a wife and two kids. So I don't have loads of time to work on my constructions, being able to built something fast is valuable to me. Please don't get me wrong I am looking forward to building our Zoo with SysX but for castles I like working with Steck.

I have to disagree with you statement that playmobil is a construction toy for kids (it is for grownups dont get me wrong). You average blue box does not contain any building materials and only the more expensive ones do it in any decent amount of quantities. This will mean that most kids will have a very limited amount of building blocks available to them so they are quickly done with building things. Compare to Lego where every set comes with a couple of building blocks no matter how small the set is and they number of ways you can put them together is of course far greater then with Playmobil. For adults who can spend a lot more money on it, it is easier to actually make something creative out of Steck/SysX because if you have enough it becomes fun.

Depending on the age of the kid Playmobil is seen as a easier toy to actual play with and Lego is more seen as a construction toy. So when they receive a big blue blue which does need some building they still want to get it together as quick as possible so they can start playing with it and the other figures they have.