Author Topic: Ye Gods! An Olympian Appreciation  (Read 10131 times)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: Ye Gods! An Olympian Appreciation
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2022, 07:40:54 »
Clearly, you need more dogs.

Just sayin'

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2022, 03:57:24 »
Finally, it's Athena! Called Minerva by some, this goddess of wisdom and war (among other portfolios - she is multiply talented) was one of the first two Greek gods to come out, and like Zeus she's a winner! Here in the first photo-

"Ahem, Maccy, haven't you forgotten something?"

Er, what's that I hear? A complaint from the peanut gallery?

"You've forgotten something. You told us that Venus was the only pagan deity to be featured in an 80s hit single - namely Bananarama's 'Venus' which was released on 19 May 1986 and which hit number one in multiple countries."

Yes, and?

"But what about The Who's lead single off their album It's Hard, entitled 'Athena' and released on 4 September 1982 - it hit the top 40 in the US and UK. Surely that rates as a second pagan deity 80s hit?"

If you go back and read what I actually wrote, you'll see I clearly said "the only pagan divinity to have appeared in an eighties hit single by Bananarama" - I specified the group. Just because one other band happened to -

"And what of 'Fred vom Jupiter' by Andreas Dorau & die Marinas, which came out on 1 March 1982? It reached number -"

OK OK SO THERE ARE MULTIPLE 80S HIT SINGLES NAMED AFTER PAGAN DEITIES. Happy?

"Yes.  ;D"

Ahem, as I was saying, here is Athena:

Resplendent in her gold panoply, she is accompanied by her owl of wisdom and her snake of, er...other wisdom. Her sari is a nice saffron color that works well with the gold.

Stripped of her finery, she appeareth thus:

Note that she is barefoot, like Aphrodite!

A closeup of the detailing on her dress. Looks great!

She's got a nice set of gear, with her helmet and spear in that bright new gold.

And the shield too! Enough can't be said about it. Historical yet fun, it is a triumph of the Playmodesigner's art!

That's Athena! Like Zeus she was done pretty much perfectly. An absolute knockout of a klicky. Thank you PM!

"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2022, 08:20:25 »
:lmao:

Touchy deity, like all of them...

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2022, 18:22:44 »
Yay! Another reference to Bananananarama! This is a really cultured forum. Please could we have a mention of Showadaddydaddy soon?

Another great review, Maccy. It's a shame there aren't any more Gods....
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Basie10

• It's ok :)
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2022, 07:28:32 »
You might also interested in the New Zealand, underground, minor dance hit 'Oh my Zeus' by the legendary Coco Solid.  Possibly the only hip hop, dance rap jam with references to Zeus, Pegasus, the golden fleece and Hercules 8-) :love:

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2022, 19:16:57 »
You might also interested in the New Zealand, underground, minor dance hit 'Oh my Zeus' by the legendary Coco Solid.  Possibly the only hip hop, dance rap jam with references to Zeus, Pegasus, the golden fleece and Hercules 8-) :love:

That's a cool track! Never heard of it, thanks for the recommendation! Re-doing an ancient myth in the form of a modern telephone call is a great idea.

Yay! Another reference to Bananananarama! This is a really cultured forum. Please could we have a mention of Showadaddydaddy soon?

As a USAese personage, I am bound by Constitutional law to refer only to Shananananana, not Showadaddydaddydaddy.

Another great review, Maccy. It's a shame there aren't any more Gods....

Yes, it's a shame there are no more Gods to review...

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2022, 19:18:01 »
...OR ARE THERE

YES HERE ARE TWO MORE GODS

That's right we're doing a double today, the brother sister team of Apollo and Diana. Why both at once? Well...

...They are my least favorites of the PM gods, and I want to get them out of the way. I mean, I appreciate that they wanted to break away from the stereotypical white toga look, but...

...what exactly are these costumes supposed to be? What is that thing across Apollo's chest? Some sort of ribbon? It doesn't look like anything in the real world or in Greek myth that I know of. And Artemis - what on earth? Is she wearing a vine across her chest? Or is that supposed to be a printed garment? It looks very silly to me. And why is she in shorts? She's never depicted like that - she should be got up more like Atalanta (about whom more in a future thread). And gold sandals? For running through the forest? BAH!  >:(

To be fair red and gold suits Apollo. But purple seems off for Artemis. She's supposed to be a silvery moon goddess! Her flowery crown is nice though.

Accessories are all right. I was about to jump on Apollo's silver bow for being wrong - he should have one of burning gold, right? - but it turns out
"silver-bowed" is one of his ancient epithets, so it gets a pass. Artemis's should definitely be silver though. And they should both have short bows, not long ones - especially Artemis , who would trip over this long one while traipsing through the underbrush. I do like Artemis's sacred deer, it looks properly mystical.

OK that's it for these two. Thumbs mostly down, though that's of course relative - I'm overjoyed to have these klickies, all things considered.

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2022, 22:47:08 »
:lol: I'd have to agree. These are not the best figures. The silver bow, quiver, and arrows are the best parts of these sets.
~Pynedor~

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
  • Happy Little Victorians
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2022, 03:37:07 »
Your pictures are stunning  :love:

La, tout n'est qu'ordre et beaute, luxe, calme et volupte. L'Invitation au Voyage. Charles Baudelaire.1857.

Offline Eplay

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2022, 06:36:38 »
Thanks for the review and the pictures. Apollo an Artemis are not the best figures, but Athena is stunning.