Author Topic: Dear God help me! Manual needed.  (Read 3724 times)

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
Re: Dear God help me! Manual needed.
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2021, 17:32:04 »
Never played with a model train ??? (iPad generation.....)

Siiigh, I know. Born in the wrong one.  :P But in all seriousness, like I said, my only experience I have is with Thomas and model 5258. So I only now know about transformers and the like. Me and my mom have considered getting an actual model train before since it's so hard to get a hold a Playmobil one for decent coin these days. BUT I got lucky with 4054 on Ebay!  :love:

You're losing me here.  The 4054 picks up power from the brass track through the main wheels and the two "skates" between the wheels (one "skate" on each side).

The transformer is used to reduce the mains power to a safer voltage of up to 16v.  Can you post a picture or a link to it.

Uploading pictures here is a pain. All I can say is that underneath the engine (the car carrying the wood) is that there's two holes underneath. Each one located to a screw. I might be wrong assuming you plug anything into it though. Perhaps Marco can help explain?

Offline Walts-Trains

• Playmo Lover
    • Walts Playm0bil Collection
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2021, 18:02:37 »
Go to my web site and to the page marked stock.
www.walts-playmobil-collection.me.uk/stock.htm

You will see at the top the chassis of the type in your loco.
If you scroll down till you find your loco, click on the photograph and it will enlarge.
You should then be able to see how your loco fits on to the track.
Hope this will help you.

Offline Marco_4124

• Playmo Addict
  • Playmo Flagmaster
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2021, 19:27:41 »
If you bought Playmobil 4054 for a bargain, I fear the worst. It is one of the rarest Playmobil trains around.
The technique is based on LGB trains, so you need LGB tracks (quite expensive), and a transformer to put electricity on the tracks. Unlike 5258 it does not carry it's own power in the form of batteries.

I will send you a few PDF file's about electric trains.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 19:33:42 by Marco_4124 »

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2021, 20:32:56 »
If you bought Playmobil 4054 for a bargain, I fear the worst. It is one of the rarest Playmobil trains around.
The technique is based on LGB trains, so you need LGB tracks (quite expensive), and a transformer to put electricity on the tracks. Unlike 5258 it does not carry it's own power in the form of batteries.

I will send you a few PDF file's about electric trains.

You can use other makes of 45mm track than LGB, e.g. Piiko or Aristocraft, but LGB is most common.  Whatever make you use, buy brass not steel.

You can use either a transformer and controller in one unit, such as the Playmobil one or a separate transformer and separate controller.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Marco_4124

• Playmo Addict
  • Playmo Flagmaster
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2021, 21:09:07 »
You've got mail  :)

Can you give a little hint about where you live and how old you are ?

Offline Junker Jörg

• Playmo Addict
  • Hier stehe ich, ich kann auch anders.
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2021, 21:43:24 »
BUT I got lucky with 4054 on Ebay!  :love:

Kannst Du uns bitte mal den Link zu der Auktion schicken? Vielleicht sehen wir dann, wo das Problem liegt. Ein Schnäppchen auf eBay klingt bei DER Lok ned gut, wenn ich ehrlich bin.

Could you please link your auction here so we might get a clue as to what's wrong? "for a bargain" doesn't sound too good here... :-/.

So ganz grundsätzlich:
(1) Laß die Finger vom Trafo, wenn Du Dich mit sowas ned auskennst!

(2) Die alten Playmobilloks bekommen ihren Strom über die Schienen. Die müssen aus Metall sein (die 4054 kann nicht auf den Kunststoffgleisen der 5258 fahren - eine Thomas-Lok von Playmobil gibt's nicht, was ist das für eine Lok?).

(3) Bei der 4054 ist ein Motor im Tender verbaut (ist der drin?) und unter dem Tender müssen zwei Schleifer hängen, die auf dem Gleis aufliegen und den Strom aufnehmen. Sind die da?

General issues:
(1) Hands off that transformer unless you know how to handle that thing!

(2) Old Playmobil engines need metal tracks for power supply. They don't run on 5258's plastic tracks (and as Playmobil never issued a Thomas the Tank engine loco I've no idea what kind of enginge you're talking about).

(3) 4054's fitted with one motor inside the tender (is there a motor inside?) and there ought to be two skates underneath as playmofire already explained (are there?).

jj:
Lust auf Bilder? => www.klickywelt.de (mit Anmeldung)
Fancy more pics? => www.klickywelt.de (sign in to see)

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2021, 00:23:41 »

Kannst Du uns bitte mal den Link zu der Auktion schicken? Vielleicht sehen wir dann, wo das Problem liegt. Ein Schnäppchen auf eBay klingt bei DER Lok ned gut, wenn ich ehrlich bin.

Could you please link your auction here so we might get a clue as to what's wrong? "for a bargain" doesn't sound too good here... :-/.

So ganz grundsätzlich:
(1) Laß die Finger vom Trafo, wenn Du Dich mit sowas ned auskennst!

(2) Die alten Playmobilloks bekommen ihren Strom über die Schienen. Die müssen aus Metall sein (die 4054 kann nicht auf den Kunststoffgleisen der 5258 fahren - eine Thomas-Lok von Playmobil gibt's nicht, was ist das für eine Lok?).

(3) Bei der 4054 ist ein Motor im Tender verbaut (ist der drin?) und unter dem Tender müssen zwei Schleifer hängen, die auf dem Gleis aufliegen und den Strom aufnehmen. Sind die da?

General issues:
(1) Hands off that transformer unless you know how to handle that thing!

(2) Old Playmobil engines need metal tracks for power supply. They don't run on 5258's plastic tracks (and as Playmobil never issued a Thomas the Tank engine loco I've no idea what kind of enginge you're talking about).

(3) 4054's fitted with one motor inside the tender (is there a motor inside?) and there ought to be two skates underneath as playmofire already explained (are there?).

jj:

Now, as I've made clear- I'm nowhere near an expert with these sort of trains; so maybe I'm just confused. But here's the original listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/324690194470?nma=true&si=eOGOTyGQT9QMDxJA5f9sv4bWSK0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

1: Yes, please tell me how to handle a transformer and tracks!

2: Lol, Thomas the Tank Engine is another brand entirely. I just used that as an example of the only kind of trains I've dealt with personally. They're battery operated and have wooden tracks.  :-[

3. If by "skates" you mean those metallic legs then YES! It still has those attached. From what I've seen, the seller was NOT lying about the train being complete. It even has the bell it originally came with. I'll see if I can get photos on here somehow.

Edit: I think I understand now (with help to Marco). I assume that the transformer sends electricity through the track, it travels up the skates and powers the train like that. Is that how it all works?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 00:35:44 by Janilew »

Offline Marco_4124

• Playmo Addict
  • Playmo Flagmaster
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2021, 00:44:03 »
The motor is in the tender: these are the current pick-ups (red arrow) —>

The locomotive has NO motor at all.

Offline Marco_4124

• Playmo Addict
  • Playmo Flagmaster
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2021, 00:48:49 »
Advice:

Go to a local model train dealer and explain you have a G-scale train running on 45 mm gauge tracks. The train is from Playmobil, and the older Playmobil trains were made with help from LGB.
He must be able to give you advice, helping with a simple oval of tracks to start with, and a safe transformer.
If you ever want to add more cars: PIKO and LGB cars will fit.

Welcome to a exiting hobby  :)

Offline Marco_4124

• Playmo Addict
  • Playmo Flagmaster
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2021, 00:50:00 »
(Any idea how late it is in The Netherlands???)