Author Topic: Fi?ure Pairs?  (Read 1687 times)

Offline doug

• Playmo Fanatic
Fi?ure Pairs?
« on: October 23, 2021, 17:34:43 »
Since series 1,  I have intermittently noticed boys fi?ure and girls fi?ure pairs, that IMO were designed that way. Like, the Bavarians in 2 seem to be designed as a pair.

My partner suggested that I may have apophenia.  :-\  Her counter arguement is that Uncle Sam and Lady Liberty surely would have been released in the same series if there was any plan.  (Or steampunks, or a gnome couple, or beefeater with queen, etc.)

My counter-counter arguement  is that there is no predetermined plan, but the design team occassionally comes up with a pair that fits thematically AND aesthetically.

I feel my theory is very vinticated by the Day of the Dead pair, which even my partner has to acknowledge IS a pair. 

So which, if any,  designed pairs do y'all see in Fi?ures?

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Re: Fi?ure Pairs?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 18:34:49 »
It's an interesting thought. There are definitely ones that couple together but often not in the same series or year. Day of the Dead is unusual in being so obvious.

Two that link together nicely from consecutive years is the fisherman and woman from Boys 8 and Girls 10

http://animobil.info/figures/text/5d0863aa(shields)-1135.html

http://animobil.info/figures/text/5d0863aa-figures-1208.html

Possibly Fire Fairy from Girls 7 and Lava Guy from Boys 8

http://animobil.info/figures/text/5d0863aa-figures-1338.html

http://animobil.info/figures/text/5d0863aa-figures-1355.html

There are probably others too. Of course any pair of police or firefighters might go together but they don't release both the same series.

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 18:55:50 »
I side with you, Doug: There is definitely pairing going on, intentional or as an afterthought. Some more examples:

King + Queen (7)
Fencers (♂7, ♀9)
Tennis players (♂9/17, ♀4/12/16)
Sauna visitors (♂18, ♀10)
Stone Age (♂20, ♀1)

But it isn't done in any systematic way, for sure – we're still waiting for a male horse rider to accompany the lady from 11, etc., etc.

Offline doug

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 05:17:54 »
Yes, St. J! The king and queen  from 7 rule side by side on my shelf.  I think it is their shade of gold that makes me think they are an inseparable pair.....

I doubt the German designers were as inundated with Godfather's Pizza commercials as I was growing up, but I think they still had the idea to connect the flapper and the gangster in series 14.

Musicians are not automatically paired, but some connections seem solid to me:
Bieber and Gaga in 3 may be a coincidence...
While Hendrix and Joplin in 10 may be on purpose,...
And the guitarist and singer from 1 really seem to belong to the same band.

I really wonder if that weird vampire in 14 was put there as a foil for Van Helsing....?

I thought those two cowpokes in 15 looked like they shared a lot of dusty trails with each other.

Tim, my fire sorceress is commanding a few of those fire demons(?) at my house. They match well.
Yes, if we skip across a few series there are a LOT of great pairs.

... although my partner is still waiting on the white rabbit to accompany the Queen of Hearts for a long time now......

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 05:33:04 »
YES, the rabbit people are always tan. We need a white one for sure.

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 06:45:59 »
I doubt the German designers were as inundated with Godfather's Pizza commercials as I was growing up (...)

Yes! The gangster and the flapper are definitely a pair. Somebody must have been watching Boardwalk Empire.

Stilt clowns (♂4, ♀18)
Paper Boy (13) and Girl (18)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 06:51:09 by StJohn »

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 08:14:22 »
To have pairing suggests logical thought processes, something Playmobil haven't shown recently.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 10:13:42 »
I think the fire fairy goes better with flamiac, the playmo friend 6819:

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 10:20:43 »
I agree there are some deliberate pairs but I think most are just the designers trying to come up with male and female versions of the same type of character. The princesses would naturally be paired with the knights but the racing drivers don't really pair with the horse riders.
Maybe the better outcome is that we're free to pair them up as we want.

Are there any female aliens either in the fi?ures or elsewhere?

Online GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 13:13:55 »
Are there any female aliens either in the fi?ures or elsewhere?

Don't ask me, I'm from Mars. Females come from that other place.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)