Author Topic: Making a picture of a nice sunset...  (Read 6377 times)

Offline deadeye dick

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Capt'n of the Punisher
    • Deadeye Dick's
Making a picture of a nice sunset...
« on: January 14, 2006, 19:16:59 »
Hello, DD ...

Click HERE and tell me if this is what you had in mind for a sunset. If so, I'm happy to tell you how to shoot beautiful sunsets with a digital camera.

All the best,
Richard

Well eh... Richard, this is more or less what I meant... Did it really looked like that?
Have a look at this picture... It's like the ligth is eating all the other colors  :(
The original view was magnificent... the picture is only a shade  ;) Is it possible to have a real-life experience picture with digital camera?

Check out Deadeye Dick's hideout @ www.deadeye.be

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Making a picture of a nice sunset...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 19:25:42 »
The bright light off the water has caused your camera to underexpose so the picture is dark and muddy. Were you working with the camera on auto?

You need to take an exposure reading off a darker area of the sky, e.g. the sunset area itself, if you can.  If not, try taking a reading off the palm of your hand and using that exposure.   It helps, too, if you can set the camera manually.

With digital, you can experiment with different exposure settings if you're quick enough to get the best.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 19:35:41 »
Hello DD

Here are a few pictures i took of what i like to call Wierd Sky's. I just took them by chance and it was hit and miss as to wether they were going to turn out. A couple where taken in the evening of clouds that were supposed to form into a thunder storm. The picture of the yellow sky was if i remember correctly taken before we had a downfall of snow. It was about 4.00pm and the sun was starting to go down possibly causing the yellow effect on the clouds.

Kindest Regards  Tim

« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 19:39:48 by Tim_w »

(28/5/03/850)

Offline deadeye dick

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Capt'n of the Punisher
    • Deadeye Dick's
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 11:33:46 »
Thank you guys for your help. Playmofire, I think it makes sense: I'm using auto mode indeed. I already noticed in house when using a light source that the camera also displays a yellow glow first, but when I point it to an area that isn't lighted, the normal colors are coming back. When I point back to lighted stuff the display looks normal and I can take a normal picture...

Nice pictures Tim_w !!!!!!

/* somebody stole my karma  :(; did I do something wrong. If so, please let me know so I can take this into account for the future :)9 */
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 12:49:20 by deadeye dick »

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 23:21:34 »
The bright light off the water has caused your camera to underexpose so the picture is dark and muddy. Were you working with the camera on auto?

You need to take an exposure reading off a darker area of the sky, e.g. the sunset area itself, if you can.  If not, try taking a reading off the palm of your hand and using that exposure.   It helps, too, if you can set the camera manually.

With digital, you can experiment with different exposure settings if you're quick enough to get the best.

Gordon is absolutely correct!

However, if you want to use "auto" and not worry about the settings, there is a trick!

Simply place a tree, bush or some other object between your camera and the sun (or anything that's reflecting the sun) and you will almost always get great sunset (or sunrise) photos.

Or, you can just move the direct sun out of the picture as I did in this photo.

Or, wait until the sun just dips below the horizon ...

All the best DD and please post your pictures,
Richard

Offline deadeye dick

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Capt'n of the Punisher
    • Deadeye Dick's
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 09:40:22 »
Thanks Richard for the helpful tricks  :)9

I certainly will give it a try !!! B.T.W. nice pictures again :wow: