Author Topic: Photo Competition ???  (Read 25863 times)

Offline Serenity

• Playmo Lover
  • just call me Mal
Re: Photo Competition ???
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2006, 20:01:06 »
Nice hat, T  ;D
"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Offline deadeye dick

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Capt'n of the Punisher
    • Deadeye Dick's
Re: Photo Competition ???
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2006, 22:40:10 »
I think it's a great idea to do the front page project.  My only concern would be if it would significantly increase bandwidth usage. Pics take quite a bit more than a text page does.

Hi T (indeed a nice avatar  :)9)
Bandwidth depends on which solution you choose for displaying pictures. If you choose to display several pictures during a visitor's stay on the homepage (HP), you would need to download (or pre-load for better performance) several pictures. However, when you display only one random pic everytime somebody visits the HP, bandwith is not an issue since most pics only take a few kilobytes.

As I recall, earlier in this thread, someone provided the PHP coding to make this a possibility.  So if everyone agrees that this would be a good thing, then as a member's site, let's go for it!

Concerning the scripting: there are 2 possibilities: 1) server-side (e.g. PHP) or 2) client side scripting (e.g. javascript). In my opinion solution 2 is easier to implement, but harder to maintain. Solution 1 could be a generic script that just reads pictures from a folder and  generates an HTML page with a random picture.

Check out Deadeye Dick's hideout @ www.deadeye.be