Author Topic: Hello from Bavaria!  (Read 5709 times)

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
Hello from Bavaria!
« on: December 12, 2015, 23:43:06 »
Hello Playmofriends

It is great introducing myself to you! I have been reading this forum for quite some time and guess that it's about time that I join.

I am a Dutchman who recently moved to Germany after living in the UK for many years. I loved playing with Playmobil as a child in the late 70s and early 80s and but then drifted away until my interest was rekindled some years ago. Like it seems to have been for many others, this happened when parenthood brought me back to the world of toys. And it was a very happy reunion, discovering all the incredible products that had come and gone over the intervening years.

Starting to look at Playmobil with adult eyes was fun − seeing the proportions and realising that the figures are actually children pretending to be adults! (But then what about the children?) And I don't remember any beards from my childhood, so how on earth did I cope then with this chinless company?

Like many others, I particularly (but not exclusively!) enjoy historical sets. For me the fun is discovering, collecting, and admiring. I'm not too creative so do not excel at customizing − in my view, the original design is mostly quite satisfactory. Still, 'popping' my first Klicky was a thrilling experience (thanks for the help!), and minor adjustments are often beneficial. No big dioramas for me either − too space consuming, too fiddly. I prefer System-X over Steck, and, having worked my way through generations of castles, can only conclude that 4866 is the best. But 3940 will never be beaten.

What I enjoy most about this forum are the rich and entertaining discussions, the display of Playmobil scholarship, and the wonderful reviews. I hope the forum will thrive for years to come, so, with congratulations on your 10th anniversary, I salute you.

StJohn

Offline Salamander

• Playmo Addict
Re: Hello from Bavaria!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 00:34:02 »
Welcome from the west coast of Canada!  :wave:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 02:04:23 »
Welcome from the North Yorkshire coast!   :wave:
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline leefert

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 02:50:43 »
Welcome from the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee, USA
I'm glad that I'm not the only one :)

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 03:07:44 »
Welcome from New Zealand, I hope you find a home here.

:wave:

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 09:45:12 »
Hi StJohn! Welcome to the forum, it's great that you decided to join  :)
I loved reading your introduction, I share a lot of the sentiments that you mention. Except for the part where you say you prefer System X over steck  :lol:

I live in Antwerp so I speak Dutch too  :deco:

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 16:02:15 »
Welcome from Oregon!

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 17:17:25 »
Welcome to you Sir!
I won't enter the discussion about Steck v System X, but I agree that 4866 is a very fine castle (I prefer 4865, its not as compact as 4866 but has some great features!). And 3940 is not that great as a castle, but its a very fine pirate ship. (Leg being pulled here).

At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Raven

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 18:01:31 »
Welcome StJohn!

Quote from: Birdie
I live in Antwerp so I speak Dutch too

I live in the Netherlands ... and I don't speak Dutch!
Have a good time, make life cheerful and bright, dance if you want to, sing if you can, play as long as you live and leave the world with a smile - Lemuel K. Washburn

Offline Mr Raven

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 18:04:39 »
Welcome here StJohn!

I am Mr Raven so also live in the Netherlands and i do all the talking.
When thinking outside the box you make the greatest things happen.