Author Topic: a new construction system for playmobil...  (Read 20632 times)

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
Re: a new construction system for playmobil...
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 12:50:06 »
After attempting to create some useful and meaningful bridging using design software in proper scale i really havent concluded to anytning more partical or meaningful that the fellows forum memebrs have already done so .

Also my (declared) obsession with steck pretty much obstracts me from seeing system x with a favourable view in any way. I have a few system x sets ( modern, western, pirates, viking ) and i have to say i dont like them at all . Look so ugly .... thats the primary reason why i havent bought any system x castles despite my love for mediaval playmobil which account for 60% of my total playmobil collection . I really dont see playmoibl brining back steck though it would be nice to see some sets with commonly used parts as previously discussed offered through spares catalogues , thast the least playmoibl should do for old fans and serious collectors that equal probably 100 average buyers a year  ( at least .. a wild guess ...  :lol: :lol: :lol:). I really despise system x and even more these new clip systems,  we are all entitled to our opinions here, i wouldnt buy any of htese sets , only after the old steck sets and thank god for ebay and for the many 3666s and other sets that are available still. I am going to write a letter to playmobil addressed to their head of marketing and ask to bring a spares set of steck pieces for collectors . There is never enought steck !!!! And to be honest i wont mix the awesome  steck with system x or clip system. That would be a 'sin 'for a classico playmobil fan from the 70s like me . I shall leave this upon the new generations to do and enjoy   :wave: :wave:
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 13:55:54 »
A very thorough analysis of the position, Socrates, which raises some serious questions.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 14:09:43 »
Thanks for the pictures of some fantastic creations using both Steck and System X.

The System X ones are sadly marred by the hideous and numerous empty connector holes, a problem which could be easily solved by Playmobil right now with a color-matched plug with some appropriate facade - a Tudor rose, a blank shield (possibly with optional stickers matching existing shield designs) a gargoyle or angel, a waterspout, a column top, a section of gutter, a hook for a hanging basket, a lamp bracket, or something like that. The Playmobil designers need to look at some real buildings and see what's what. The holes could be used to great effect to hold a frieze like the Parthenon in an ancient Greek temple set, or a Aztec style carvings for a South American lost temple for the adventure theme.  

i.e. plug those holes, and you have a decent modular system to build with, if parts are made available in the right colors and shapes. We can live with the annoying red and yellow connectors because they're hidden.

As Giorginetto says, a collector who is building a unique structure using a modular Playmobil system is spending the equivalent of hundreds of normal buyers, and Playmobil should recognise this fact. Their new clip system creates a rugged building that can be carried in one hand if it needs to be moved, but makes next to no allowance for additions and enhancements to the original building, and for that reason sets using the system must be selling in far smaller numbers than either Steck or System X sets ever did.

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 18:13:01 »
thats the primary reason why i havent bought any system x castles despite my love for mediaval playmobil which account for 60%

and don't buy any i have this existing lion castle from 2005 (i think that's when it's realesed )it'so away from reality and looks like a toy  imagine the walls are almost the high of a klicky . the only nice thing it has is the dishign of it's house and the lion flags!!!!!!!!!!!
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 19:20:05 »
I will agree with Giorginetto and Martin an all accounts!!! System x is great (and has great potentials) but steck is indeed greater!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline socrates

• Geobra Gourmet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 20:26:12 »
I will agree with Giorginetto and Martin an all accounts!!! System x is great (and has great potentials) but steck is indeed greater!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

:hmm:
do I repeat myself when I claim that the intention of this thread is not to decide about whether steck or sysX is the best but how to improve the (any) system?
So, you already mentioned the floor pieces that you think they could be improved. What else could be improved, what new parts would you desire?
(Next to the fact that everything is great in steck-universe...  ;) )

best,
socrates
"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."
— Hans Christian Andersen

Offline socrates

• Geobra Gourmet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 20:36:48 »
(to get back to the subject)
  :-[

thanks.  :)9  I thought I already lost this thread...  ;D

(to get back to the subject)
i then logged in (this way i was certain not to be influenced by your solution) and discovered that we essentially thought of the same.  8}
this could mean that the direction is right (or the opposite, that we both equally stupid).  ;)
i guess we both have a rather good knowledge of geometry (i am an architect) and that we saw the same problems.
one thing i see different from you is the connector problem.
the way i see it there is no way that we can "dig" deeper to host a "double" negative hole (a "square" one followed by a "round" one) and still be able to use the old x-connectors or x-parts (in the drawing G/D means ground level.  :'(
this "new" longer x, just like the one you came up with, is the only way to "camouflage" the holes we will not need.
your 3 principles are, of course, correct.
do you think it will be easy to try and "lift" a 3rd dimension (Z) with the same principles.  ???
one last thing - i decided to add a fifth central hole in the "square" system to allow for "strange" (rocks) or "isolated" parts (masts, cranes) to be fit.  :hmm:
this is different from what you designed but maybe if i check the scale of the system it will proove as a wrong option.
  :-[

assuming that great minds think alike (and we are not both stupid), I appreciate that you came to the same solution. Well, I double checked the sysX base plates and I still think, they can be deepened. Well, it doesn't have to be double negative but lets say 1.25 negative. the addition is more for cosmetical reason, does not have to be full sized.

I have to admit that I am not sure what do you mean with a third dimension?  ???

I like the idea of the functional hole in the middle. Maybe it could also serve for 45 degree connections. I thought about this option as well, a cornerpiece that brakes the 90 degree limit. ;)
But I found it would be difficult with the standard walls (the connector would become pretty long).  :(

best,
socrates

"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."

Offline socrates

• Geobra Gourmet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 20:42:21 »
The System X ones are sadly marred by the hideous and numerous empty connector holes, a problem which could be easily solved by Playmobil right now with a color-matched plug with some appropriate facade - a Tudor rose, a blank shield (possibly with optional stickers matching existing shield designs) a gargoyle or angel, a waterspout, a column top, a section of gutter, a hook for a hanging basket, a lamp bracket, or something like that. The Playmobil designers need to look at some real buildings and see what's what. The holes could be used to great effect to hold a frieze like the Parthenon in an ancient Greek temple set, or a Aztec style carvings for a South American lost temple for the adventure theme.  

Martin, this is a great suggestion. Themed facade pieces might be a perfect solution for the outside holes. Playmobil implicitely confessed this problem in adding stickers to the fairy tale castles to hide the holes... ;)
They should like this idea very much.

best,
socrates

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2010, 21:17:26 »
Martin, this is a great suggestion. Themed facade pieces might be a perfect solution for the outside holes. Playmobil implicitely confessed this problem in adding stickers to the fairy tale castles to hide the holes... ;)
They should like this idea very much.

best,
socrates

Thanks Socrates!

It occurred to me that the "facade" pieces can also be in 2- 3- 4- or more hole lengths, not just to cover a single hole, since we know how wide and high a modular wall section is. The facasde doesn't have to be fancy, just a strip of matching color and texture that pops into and covers the holes in the building walls, horizontally and vertically. If Playmobil produced these and released them as a retro-fitting DS item, I think they'd sell by the bucketload to collectors.

The floor holes are trickier to hide, which is why they tried to eliminate some unused holes in larger floor sections, but how about a textured "carpet"? Just a thin section of rubbery plastic, textured like a stone floor (or whatever is suitable for a particular set). This would be of softer rubbery plastic than the regular flooring, with or without nubs to clip into the floor holes to secure it in place. This could be produced on a roll and cut to size by the customer.

The biggest issue most people have with System X (apart from the fact it's not Steck and thus can't be combined with that system) is the empty sockets, so if Playmobil produced something to enhance the buildings using those holes we would welcome their initiative.

Another idea for single hole pluggers - bits of greenery. Small plant seeds always find their way into nooks and crannies, and any wall or outside floor that has been around for more than a year will have some green bits starting to sprout.

The other issue I have with System X is, why no round towers? Let's have a DS add-on round tower to enhance our system X castles with.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 21:46:40 by Martin Milner »

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 01:09:34 »
hello socrates and hello martin,  :wave:
(the 3rd dimension)
by third dimension i mean height - we have only dealed with the "horizontal" problem.
(double negative)
with "double" i meant to holes in succession - one for the "round" connector the other on top for the "square" plate.
1,25 or any other number except 1 poses the same problem: the "round" connector has to be buried deeper than the old one.
(the holes)
this will have to be delt with either "camouflaging" the holes or by adding, as martin rightfuly said, by adding some kinf of decoration.
maybe we should look at he holes in system-x as something incredibly good and full of possibilities instead of something bad.
(geometry)
45º walls could fit socrates and maybe the central hole could be produced in that "direction".
the problem lies on how do they "arrive" at their ends...
(facades and dimensions)
this is what needs to be adressed right now.
i don't have the measures for the base plates (could you measure them socrates) or the height of system-x walls (i keep all my "stone" buidings" in my weekend house).
the modularity that you speak socrates should also exist in the walls maybe with extra holes as martin suggests.
unlike lego, a brick system is not what (i think) we want for playmobil but some kind of fixed heights that could be multiplied is more or less essential.
maybe the problem here is how to combine middle floors that have to be narrower than the base plates.
(steck)
just like the "ancient" system-x, the steck will cease to exist, faint memories of playmobil's ancient times.
    honni soit qui mal y pense