Author Topic: My attempt at sewing for Playmobil  (Read 2782 times)

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Re: My attempt at sewing for Playmobil
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 09:23:49 »
Good start, Janilew, but it doesn't look easy to do haute couture on such a small scale!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 10:33:14 »
That takes me back. When I was a kid, I made bedding for klickies. Clothes would be hard, since closures would be too big. Either you sew them in or the outfit must loose enough that it can be slipped off.

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 12:03:18 »
Good start, Janilew, but it doesn't look easy to do haute couture on such a small scale!

Lol, I'm aware! It's mostly for poops and giggles, but I also wanted to make changeable clothing that allows them to sit. The clip on dresses are cute and all, but they're doomed to forever be standing! I was closer this time than my first, I just messed up the gather. It fit rather snug and had no need for Velcro! I just need more practice.  Thank goodness I was smart enough to make a pattern for the bodice when I made the first attempt. That was half the work right there!

That takes me back. When I was a kid, I made bedding for klickies. Clothes would be hard, since closures would be too big. Either you sew them in or the outfit must loose enough that it can be slipped off.

Aww, that's so sweet! Luckily the outfit was loose enough to take off. She can sit too!

Next challenge...SLEEVES!

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 15:57:25 »
Lol, I'm aware! It's mostly for poops and giggles, but I also wanted to make changeable clothing that allows them to sit. The clip on dresses are cute and all, but they're doomed to forever be standing!

That is very true...

That is precision work there!

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 16:50:09 »
That is very true...

That is precision work there!

Thank you! There's VERY little room for error on 1:24 scale. 1 mm makes all the difference. I had to buckle down and use fabric glue to hem the bodice at the top, making it the pointy shape. I'm very much a beginner at sewing in general (hence the skewed pleats), so I find this to be decent practice as I'm not wasting a lot of material if I mess up.

Also it's fun!  ;D

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 09:03:05 »
I was frustrated by insufficient klicky beds as a child.

Good luck with the sleeves! Miniature sewing takes a lot of creativity since some of the standard sewing techniques don't work so well on a tiny scale. I'm not great at pleats either, and I sew a lot (just not normally things with pleats).

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 15:00:33 »
I was frustrated by insufficient klicky beds as a child.

Good luck with the sleeves! Miniature sewing takes a lot of creativity since some of the standard sewing techniques don't work so well on a tiny scale. I'm not great at pleats either, and I sew a lot (just not normally things with pleats).

Thanks for the encouragement. And ehat about sleeves, do you sew them?

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 07:09:31 »
My newest attempts! I had no idea it was past midnight! I was wondering why my mom asked if I was still up. That ruffle on the apron was the death of me! But it was an interesting challenge.  :) The blue gingham skirt was the later, and better attempt, if you can't tell. I actually bothered to gather it before sewing, and whaddya know it was better! And it took less time too.  :eh?:

The earlier brown dress features my attempt at a separate waistband and inner lining. I foolishly tried to sew the waistband on...needless to day, I ended up gluing it. Also a last minute gathering at the bottom so it wouldn't look a got dang saucer like my other tries.

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 07:12:45 »
Have to post the photos separate.....ugh!  >:(