Author Topic: Afrikan Klikies Faces  (Read 6904 times)

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
Re: Afrikan Klikies Faces
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 19:21:30 »
Is that any more colorful or florid than the matching sets of Caucasian, Hispanic, or Asian families though? I agree the clothing is pretty vile, but the Caucasian lady is certainly more outré than the Hispanic mother.

Yes you are right about this. It was the style in combination with the hats that made me not like it. But they are easily removed.  :)

I think Playmobil looks for stereotypes and sinthesis in their designs. Im not sure they try to mimick the vaudeville face, nevertheless, the vaudeville face is a stereotype.... why is that bad or offensive? I don't get it.....  :-[

Ah, but you don't live in the US. everyone here makes a huge deal out of vaudeville faces as being very offensive, because the old time minstrel shows were very insulting and made fun of the way black people talk and dance. But sometimes people do take offense too easily, reading in motives that just aren't there.

Whatever the case, you are right; all this is way too serious and way too touchy to be discussing on this forum. We should probably drop it and move on.  We're all friends here and that's all that matters. :high5:
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 20:46:27 »
Yes you are right about this. It was the style in combination with the hats that made me not like it. But they are easily removed.  :)

Ah, but you don't live in the US. everyone here makes a huge deal out of vaudeville faces as being very offensive, because the old time minstrel shows were very insulting and made fun of the way black people talk and dance. But sometimes people do take offense too easily, reading in motives that just aren't there. yeah, that's maybe why I don't completly understand it. It's cultural.... it is very different in my country.

Whatever the case, you are right; all this is way too serious and way too touchy to be discussing on this forum. We should probably drop it and move on.  We're all friends here and that's all that matters. :high5:

;D ;D
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline Jimbo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 01:04:34 »
  We're all friends here and that's all that matters. :high5:
Hi all....The reason I used the vaudeville description is, I remember  vaudeville shows and it was/is
degrading...next, the AA figures were the only klickys with white "beady" eyes..when I saw the later AA
children without white dots in their eyes, I liked the children better.  I think mom and pop should
look like their kids. ;D...well in the klicky world at least... 

This topic did take a different tack than I thought it would, from a "what do you think?" question.

So..upward and onward...

Shalom,
Jimbo

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 01:09:21 »
 :)9
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Erik

• Playmobil crusader / Toyhunter
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 11:20:20 »
The klickies look fine.Let's not make something out of nothing... ;)
The most valiant knights are made of German plastic!!!

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 08:27:58 »
The reason I used the vaudeville description is, I remember  vaudeville shows

You remember vaudeville shows?  How old are you, anyway?   ???
CARPE KLICKY!

Offline Coyote

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 11:19:25 »
You remember vaudeville shows?  How old are you, anyway?   ???
Heh- that's what I was wondering!   ;D
  Peoples Republic of Maine  :D

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2010, 11:58:41 »
Allthis reference to the Vaudeville shows and all that dont you think some folks might find it on the edge of being offending simply by discussing it...??? In my opinion this conversation asking members if they know shows that were of a racing nature etc etc and the continuous referral to vaudeville and the entire subject of the klickies faces is very sensitive and I am surprised its on going, in my opinion of course, is that an appropriate subject for playmofriends , i dont think our african friends would find this thread all together harmless nor non offensive !
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight:

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2010, 12:21:44 »
Allthis reference to the Vaudeville shows and all that dont you think some folks might find it on the edge of being offending simply by discussing it...??? In my opinion this conversation asking members if they know shows that were of a racing nature etc etc and the continuous referral to vaudeville and the entire subject of the klickies faces is very sensitive and I am surprised its on going, in my opinion of course, is that an appropriate subject for playmofriends , i dont think our african friends would find this thread all together harmless nor non offensive !

FYI my multi-ethnic background includes African American. Regardless of intent, frankly speaking, I don't find the faces on these klickies very flattering at all.  And yes, it is appropriate to discuss, with civility, subjects that pertain to being sensitive and considerate to our individual backgrounds and consideration for each other as Playmobil friends and fellow human beings. 
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2010, 13:25:10 »
FYI my multi-ethnic background includes African American. Regardless of intent, frankly speaking, I don't find the faces on these klickies very flattering at all.  And yes, it is appropriate to discuss, with civility, subjects that pertain to being sensitive and considerate to our individual backgrounds and consideration for each other as Playmobil friends and fellow human beings. 

And I fully agree with you, I think though this conversation which is of a very serious nature when it is focussed on shows of vaudeville faces is off track  when people are asking if people have seen suich shows which personally i think are not appropriate for that very reason you question the klickies looks. Therefore, i dont think on this subect its is ok to write a lot about such shows etc , political correctness being overvboard etc etc , this is what i was saying, for such an important issue the conversation needs to be very focussed and not go of track as i think it has a bit .. and that is what i was / am saying ..  and i think also if people with african background are not comfortable with these klickies their voices shoudlbe heard by playmobil  :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 13:35:45 by Giorginetto »
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight: