Poll

Would you like a PF Photo Contest? Would you participate?

Photo contest YES
28 (49.1%)
Photo contest NO
0 (0%)
I would participate
25 (43.9%)
I would only watch
4 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: February 12, 2011, 12:12:38

Author Topic: Playmofriends Photo Contest  (Read 14419 times)

Offline Playmoholics

• Playmo Master
Re: Playmofriends Photo Contest
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 15:50:01 »
It would be fun  :wave:
Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is more people who have come alive – Howard Thurman.
I need Playmobil! 

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 16:11:37 »
We had a photo event here before but most members at the time wanted it to be non-competitive due to hurting peoples feeling (friends do not compete against each other) In my opinion friendly competition can help people try harder.

One thing I see necessary is that people who vote do not know who the picture is from as there will be too much of a desire to chose on who it is by as apposed to the picture itself.

The other is that people with a photoshop knowledge have an unfair advantage over people who shoot all natural, in nature or in a studio setting.

I think categories could help seperate them out
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 16:21:20 »
One thing I see necessary is that people who vote do not know who the picture is from as there will be too much of a desire to chose on who it is by as apposed to the picture itself.

That's a good point. We may have to consider that.

I'm hoping a little friendly competition will generate some more interest in photography here. This forum is very strong on story telling and customizing, but we don't seem to get so much photography. I think it'd be great to round that out a little.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 16:26:41 »

The other is that people with a photoshop knowledge have an unfair advantage over people who shoot all natural, in nature or in a studio setting.

yes I agree with this too!

Regarding the competition it would be just for fun... no prices nor special points or anything woudl be won! Just the title of winner of the month.

This forum is very strong on story telling and customizing, but we don't seem to get so much photography. I think it'd be great to round that out a little.

great point bb
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 16:37:25 »
I think a moderator need to be the "go to person" and all entries should be submitted to that person via PM's

Then the moderator could randomly set up the pictures in a locked voting topic (no Comments)

Then after the votes are tallied the identities of the creators should be reveled and comments can be unlocked

I like the idea of subjects for every other month and the others are freely open.
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Playmoholics

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 17:49:25 »
Great ideas  :)9 I really like the idea of having different categories.
Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is more people who have come alive – Howard Thurman.
I need Playmobil! 

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 18:29:19 »

I have to totally disagree with this. Think about some of the things we've seen here - like ships on a body of water at sunset, fairies in a forest, snow scenes. A well done outside shot can actually have an advantage with voters over a studio shot. It's all about what people like. As far as skill - something like this encourages people to develop their photo skills. It's not about being competitive so much as about sharing the experience and getting to see lots of cool Playmo scenes. Just being recognized by your peers as doing a good job means a lot to people.

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 18:30:47 »
I think the point was maybe there should be separate categories for photoshop and non-photoshop. Not sure I agree, just saying I think that was his point.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 18:36:25 »
I agree with having monthly themes
Im not sure about categories though...  :-\
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 18:39:39 »
I think a moderator need to be the "go to person" and all entries should be submitted to that person via PM's

Then the moderator could randomly set up the pictures in a locked voting topic (no Comments)

Then after the votes are tallied the identities of the creators should be reveled and comments can be unlocked

I like the idea of subjects for every other month and the others are freely open.

This is the way it's been done over at LG for years and it works well. The one other thing that's done is before the photographers are revealed there is a guessing game where you try to figure out who took which shot.