Author Topic: How many castaway/shipwreck sets have been made?  (Read 889 times)

Offline Alex4420

• Playmo Enthusiast
How many castaway/shipwreck sets have been made?
« on: January 13, 2024, 21:12:47 »
While diving into the deep end of PM old and new in search of cool sets to purchase, I fell in love with 3861 (1996, blond bearded klicky with the red and white striped shirt, holding a bottle with a message). Then I noticed PM seemed to enjoy this theme, as they made the following:

3736 - Pirate (well, he does have a parrot) on a pretty substantial raft (hey! it has red sail and an oar) with a dog, lantern, and scary shark
3862 - Pirate on a small raft menaced by yet another shark
4136 - Pirate island shipwreck Super Set, with two pirates, the broken-off bow of a ship, crane, cannon, anchor, parrot and of course another scary shark
5138 - Pirate under a palm lean-to with a monkey, crab, knife and skull (What, no shark? Maybe the skull was scary enough?)

I thought about including the Redcoat Caravel (70412) because of the pirate on the raft BUT he is a bit of a badass, with his cannon and cutlass, and the chances seem good he may board the ship and sail away so I ruled him out  :P

If you can think of any others, let me know! I may just try and collect all of them...

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
Re: How many castaway/shipwreck sets have been made?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 23:15:19 »
Hello Alex!
As you are new to the forum and starting to do some collecting, I thought you'd like to know about Playmodb, a website that most of us here at PlaymoFriends are familiar with.  Although it hasn't been updated for a few years, it is a valuable resource for older sets.  Enjoy!
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2024, 04:56:49 »
I like 5138 a lot, I have two  :arrr:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Online GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2024, 10:46:53 »
Ha, yes! PM ideas do seem to come around every few years. The four sets you mentioned appeared in 1992, 1996, 2007 and 2011 respectively, so we are overdue another version! The 2024 Pirates theme hasn't got one, however.

Set 3861- Isolation Island- from 1996 could also be added to your list.

Ambulances, Fire Trucks, pizza bakers... there is a long list of things which keep reappearing in PM form.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Alex4420

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2024, 12:30:22 »
Hello Alex!
As you are new to the forum and starting to do some collecting, I thought you'd like to know about Playmodb, a website that most of us here at PlaymoFriends are familiar with.  Although it hasn't been updated for a few years, it is a valuable resource for older sets.  Enjoy!
Thanks for the site! What a resource!

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 14:10:30 »
Haha this is a fun exercise  ;D

This 3799 pirate island is one of my alltime favourites, although I'm not sure if it qualifies. The pirates seem to have made a more permanent residence here  :lol:

Offline Alex4420

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2024, 14:36:50 »
Hmmm I think this works! A set like this is what made PM great in the old days -- it's all up to your imagination as to what happened. I'd like to think the old guy washed up years ago... made the island his home, complete with a hut... then the two young ones showed up,  took it over and make the old pirate do all the work! Now the old one waits for the moment when the other two pass out from too much rum, then off in their rowboat he goes! The stories are endless with a set like this...

Offline Joshua D

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2024, 04:48:37 »
Haha this is a fun exercise  ;D

This 3799 pirate island is one of my alltime favourites, although I'm not sure if it qualifies. The pirates seem to have made a more permanent residence here  :lol:

Ah this is a beautiful set! I used to have this and it brings back memories 😊😊😊

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2024, 14:55:17 »
Isn’t that the set with the flippy rock leading to a secret cave
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2024, 11:53:14 »
Isn’t that the set with the flippy rock leading to a secret cave

One of them, for sure  ;D