Author Topic: Playmobil packaging.  (Read 8509 times)

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
Playmobil packaging.
« on: February 23, 2011, 19:04:21 »
In the last few months I had the chance to buy several big sets for the first time in my life, but what I'm about to write about also applies for smaller sets. In big boxes is more obvious though.

I noticed that the boxes are oversized, all of them. The contents are always mixed up and running all over the place but if they were carefully accommodated inside boxes in the production line, boxes could be at least 40% smaller, I would say. This would represent better presentations, less broken parts and big savings for the company. So why Playmobil doesn't do it and stick with the idea that the bigger the box the better the set? Is that so?
One small example. How many clickies can you fit in a Special box? There is room for at least 2... even 3 sometimes. OK in this case it can be a strategic decision for tiny boxes are hard to spot in shops etc, but I guess you get my point.
Other example. The moon base set. That is the biggest box I have so far. But all the parts are rather small so why do we need an 80 cmts long box?

Another thing about packaging is what we read a lot in the forum. The "fisher price look". I think the changes made with the Bunny series and the Fairies were a great start. Now the agents and the futuristic theme also changes the shape of the boxes and the design of illustrations. But why not take that to the general production? the new images of the new pirate line is awesome IMO...why not take that as a start to spread all over?

Just one thing.... don't get rid of the classic blue!  ;)
So is it time for a change?
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline PrimusPilus

• Playmo Addict
  • Aut caesar, aut nihil!
Re: Playmobil packaging.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 19:11:59 »
Maybe they make all boxes in a standard size and because of that they have to make them oversize in case they do need the extra space for a specially large part?
Cheers!
Luciano

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 19:18:01 »
I am a bit frustrating with the boxes too... loose items on huge boxes that take up a lot room ... items get scratches or marks, boxes not easy to store, some i have to throw away in the recycle bins, and that i hate, but the design, appart from the ones you mentioned Gaston, i think remain the same...

Maybe they'll make different boxes for specific themes only, but I doubt they will ever change the basic colours  ;)

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 19:23:01 »
I am a bit frustrating with the boxes too... loose items on huge boxes that take up a lot room ... items get scratches or marks, boxes not easy to store, some i have to throw away in the recycle bins, and that i hate, but the design, appart from the ones you mentioned Gaston, i think remain the same...

Maybe they'll make different boxes for specific themes only, but I doubt they will ever change the basic colours  ;)

Oh no, I don't mean the colors, but the general display.  A little more up to date. Like the new pirate line.
They did on the 90's too. With the rainbow in everybox or the 3 colors sky....  :P
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline Luis

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 19:23:52 »
in regards to the size of boxes - i too have noticed it, especially with the dinosaur sets

my guess is that Playmobil is trying to show the exact scale of figures and animals on the back side in order to prevent customers from being misled about the size of content

when a building is too large to illustrate they include the measurements (at least that happens with the US boxes)

maybe all those carboard boxes are made of recycled paper and that's why PM doesn't care about producing a large packaging?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 19:28:56 by Luis »
Enjoy the elegance and fun of 1900 with The Victorians photo story! :gent: ;D :sherlock:

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 19:31:23 »
Oh no, I don't mean the colors, but the general display.  A little more up to date. Like the new pirate line.
They did on the 90's too. With the rainbow in everybox or the 3 colors sky....  :P

Oh right, i see what you mean now!

Offline zugpferdchen

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 20:24:28 »
It's simple I think. It's a marketing strategy to have these big packages.

For big(ger) packages they can get more money than for small(er)...
Some of the packages are in the same size, I think it's cheaper if they take not for each set another size.
So some sizes are equal.

Second...
I think the new design of the black agents theme is for older children (and modern themes like space or agents). They can't take it for the hole program/all sets.

Daniel

Offline Alison01326

• formerly known as "Bad Mum!"
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 21:52:01 »
It's very helpful when you are five years old!! I took my son to Toys R Us on Saturday so that he could spend the money he had earned for being good (he actually gets IOU vouchers which he can cash in when he has enough for whatever he wants).

He soon learned which size of box he needed to be looking at.  He now tells me that the HUUUUGE boxes are for Christmas and birthday presents, the middle size boxes are for people who have been extra good between birthday and Christmas and the smaller boxes and the "boxes which hang up" are for lucky children who have their own money to spend.

Also, I'm just trying to find a plastic box to put the circus into (I won't put it into its original box as that won't last five minutes) and it does look like Playmobil put it into the right size box (I don't want to put it into a huge box - I want it to take up less space than it does when it's all put together  :lol:)

Offline Playmoholics

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 22:15:58 »
That's a good point (not so) bad mum. That's a good way to look at it, but I also tend to agree with Tonguello that a lot of savings on production, shipping, ect., could be saved if the boxes were smaller. Hopefully these savings could be passed onto the consumer  ;) which also leads me to think that smaller boxes would be better for those who collect to keep NIB. However, you do get really excited when you purchase a big box  :yippee:
Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is more people who have come alive – Howard Thurman.
I need Playmobil! 

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 23:00:22 »
You can get four klickies in a Special box - I just did posting some stuff off to a buyer of one of my auctions.

As regards box sizes, there are standard box sizes which are related in size to the larger "outer" boxes in which the individual boxes go, and these larger "outer" boxes are related in size to the pallets or crates they go in to. And the pallets and crates are designed to fit in the trucks, so standardised box sizes are the reason.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”