Author Topic: playkingdoms' Roman Dio (2019)  (Read 5381 times)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
playkingdoms' Roman Dio (2019)
« on: September 13, 2020, 17:54:05 »
Yes, I know, 2020.  :-[

Direct link: here

Comments, as always, welcome ;)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
Re: playkingdoms' Roman Dio (2019)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 00:17:27 »
B R I L L I A N T
 :roman: :woohoo: :roman: :party: :roman: :confetti: :roman: :banana: :roman: :rock: :roman: :yippee: :roman: :clap: :roman:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 03:58:10 »
Nice work! The combination of the 'castle' walls with the wooden parts/flatter roofs makes it look very 'Roman'

You have so many trees  :love:

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 07:00:17 »
Great! Thanks for the pics. :camera:

I cannot imagine the amount of work going into this display.

I like the red cavalry (main picture, front right) best. Great figure (body printed both sides  :)9), but I'm still trying to figure out which neck piece would suit it best.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 08:57:14 »
Superb!
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Luftgaengerin

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 10:03:07 »
Absolutely incredible, amazing dio, Tahra! Thanks for sharing :love:

Such a lot of detail - the buildings, above all the tower! (of course you can really access all floors of the tower by stairs!), also the drawbridge and the pier with the crane...

All interiors are truly a beauty. Everything needed in a roman fort is available on those warehouses, several weapons neatly stored and lots of beautifully organised food! :love:

So many custom klickys, huge variety, and all so very animal-friendly! :)
(I like the green-shields being carried on their backs, and also the shields fixed on the horses' saddles)
Great posing, the handling of the keys, the feeding of the birds, the carrying of supplies...

Landscape is amazing on all its glory and detail, all kinds rockies and system-x rocks, even a little skull-rock, as a small cave with mushrooms inside! Flowers and birdies everywhere, it's looks stunning.

The "making of" is a very interesting read, the building of the drawbridge must have been so difficult. The "making of" also allows a glance at spots like the plants UNDER the drawbridge...  :love:

I could go on and on...
 :wave:
"Give me that man that is not passion’s slave" - Shakespeare's Hamlet.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 15:31:52 »
:roman: :woohoo: :roman: :party: :roman: :confetti: :roman: :banana: :roman: :rock: :roman: :yippee: :roman: :clap: :roman:

Thank you - that's a lot of little romans!  :P

Nice work! The combination of the 'castle' walls with the wooden parts/flatter roofs makes it look very 'Roman'

You have so many trees  :love:

Well.. I dunno... I THINK the system X walls in white would look more... romanish.. But for a fort, maybe this is ok. In truth, I wouldn't KNOW how to build something with system X, and wouldn't have the parts even if I could :(

We have more trees - had a bunch BEFORE the reedition of the feast (cause it's our favorite tree, and was an add on, long ago)... now.. but I didn't think I could fit more.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 15:37:50 »
Great! Thanks for the pics. :camera:

I cannot imagine the amount of work going into this display.

I like the red cavalry (main picture, front right) best. Great figure (body printed both sides  :)9), but I'm still trying to figure out which neck piece would suit it best.

Thank you.. a lot of WORK, yes (as noticed in the making of, there were some.. snags  ::) ), and the custom printed things are always a double challenge.

That cav (original klcikys, for a change!! :o ).. well.. I am not overly fond of not having neckpieces, but.. the torso is SO beautiful - AND printed in the back, as you refer - I didn't want to hide it.

Superb!

Thank you :)

Probably has a whole bunch of historical inaccuracies, but I am not overconcerned with them  :P

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 16:00:47 »
Absolutely incredible, amazing dio, Tahra! Thanks for sharing :love:

Such a lot of detail - the buildings, above all the tower! (of course you can really access all floors of the tower by stairs!), also the drawbridge and the pier with the crane...

Thank you :)  The tower I shamelessly copied the other one I had done in 2013 (I remember the date cause I hunted the pics for this one!)

Actually, I was staring at it some more today (at the dio, I mean - it needs to be put away  :'( ), and it occurred to me I NEED to document that gate. I suppose there is no point to the rest (I based Crassus's new house on the romanish dio one)... Well, maybe the system X base for the tower. But it was such a complicated mess, full of patches that it may not be worth it..

All interiors are truly a beauty. Everything needed in a roman fort is available on those warehouses, several weapons neatly stored and lots of beautifully organised food! :love:

These were fun to do, and I believe I can mostly do them well enough.. Modern houses... I don't find it that fun, in truth, and I am NOT good at it....

So many custom klickys, huge variety, and all so very animal-friendly! :)

A lot of them are custom. I was gonna say "most", but I believe the soldiers of the legions awaiting Crassus are not, so... Or the original roman, or the cav.. Still.. I believe there are 269 klickys there, was it? I know I made a count when I was done..

No dio of mine will be animal unfriendly.  Wait until you see my hamtree.  :P  (eh, presunteira?  ;D )

(I like the green-shields being carried on their backs, and also the shields fixed on the horses' saddles)

Well, I wanted to simulate the way the roman soldiers carry stuff - wildly inaccurate, since I believe there was a bag for the shield (carried on the back) and a "pole cross" to hang everything else - helmet included. Obviously it would not work with playmobil.. so I just put the shields (not only the green ones) like that when they are marching, trying for that effect. Or a playmoversion of it. (full disclosure: there was an Ignite - I think - 12" figure that represented that, so...  :P )

Great posing, the handling of the keys, the feeding of the birds, the carrying of supplies...

Landscape is amazing on all its glory and detail, all kinds rockies and system-x rocks, even a little skull-rock, as a small cave with mushrooms inside! Flowers and birdies everywhere, it's looks stunning.

Rememeber the circus with iberia to get that skull rock?

My sister persuaded me to get those bits of cork before the xmasy dio, remember? They make a big difference, I think. The flowers worked rather well.

Birdies everywhere should not be a surprise, considering that guy, right?  :love:

The "making of" is a very interesting read, the building of the drawbridge must have been so difficult. The "making of" also allows a glance at spots like the plants UNDER the drawbridge...  :love:

It was. And I am not the handiest person about  :-[    I think I said in the PROCESS at the time that I had watched videos and all about how to tie a raft, but in the end couldn't figure it out from there, so ended up tying them my own way. And of course I made mistakes along the way. As always. I miscalculated the string I needed (TWICE  :-[ ), so that led to unnecessary work arounds, for example.

The plants under the bridge are as silly as the drawbridge actually "working", I suppose... but there. I KNOW. Right?

I could go on and on...

Please do. Gods know I blab - it would be a nice change  :P

Offline Corso

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 16:35:36 »
Beautiful work Tahra, especially the building! I would have loved to take some pictures of it with a couple of different lighting setups. Great! Tahrus Maximus!