Author Topic: Sep 2020 - Greek Mythology?!  (Read 32720 times)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
Re: Sep 2020 - Greek Mythology?!
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2020, 18:35:15 »
Achilles's armour looks promising – Patroclus too if the helmet is proper black.

Yes! Very promising. Jason's gear too...and with that, here's an even more detailed look at these sets!

Mount Olympus

• Owl throne used for convenience, Zeus would have an eagle throne wouldn't he
  • Different lightning colour from the first Zeus figure
  • Pegasus is green and a baby. Really don't like this. I will be replacing it with an adult pegasus that has a white body, as in the documentary "Clash of the Titans". Really a poor choice.
  • Not sure the large harp isn't anachronistic. I guess it's plausible the gods might have a gigantic lyre...
  • The treble clef on the music stand is definitely anachronistic though! How did they let that get past! The music stand too come to think of it...
  • The rocks are sprouting clouds!
  • Columns are Ionic, not Doric like in the Roman arena. I assume Ionic columns have appeared before?
  • I thought the chicken on the dinner table might be anachronistic, but wikipedia says the Greeks had chickens by 600 B.C. at the latest, so it's fine. They also apparently ate a lot more different kinds of birds than we do, so it might not be a chicken at all.
  • I like Dionysus's muttonchops! Also is that the first official appearance of the green laurel wreath?

Argonauts

• Jason's shield is great, and it looks like his armor might be unique as well!
  • :lol: that a carrot is rolling overboard!
  • I'll probably swap Hercules's dagger for the more ancient looking kind that the Egyptians have.
  • Atalante drinkin' wine and rockin' a miniskirt! I wonder if she's steering...
  • Eye flag on the tail instead of the standard that the Roman ships have. Not sure it works.
  • What's the wizard's staff about? I can't remember much of the story.
  • Green laurels again. Orpheus looks good, some white at his neck? Can't quite make out what's going on with his front.
  • The ship looks good with blue trim. Wish they'd used the first Roman ship detailing though.
  • Why the eye symbol? Is it part of the myth?

Seven Labours

• The Greek catalog says that the hydra does NOT float, despite appearances.
    Why is there red on the boar's face? Another myth I don't know well. Looks good though. They should have made all the animals distinctive in some way. I assume the bird being all grey is an effort in that direction.
  • And really, a lion hat wouldn't have been that hard to make. Come on PM!

Circe

• Nice octopus shield. Wonder why they chose that symbol?
  • Did the Greeks have barrels? I'm not sure. And what's in it I wonder...
  • Odysseus looks good, a clean strong design for this heroic figure.
  • Doesn't look like there's any detailing on Circe's undergarments. She's also shoeless - the privations of island life I suppose.
  • Is the crab at her feet meant to indicate her mood? :lol:
  • Almost looks like there's something on her back but, along with the mast that doesn't reach the deck, I'd guess they did a couple different shots and failed to stitch them together properly.

Achilles

• Great figures, great chariot - love the detailing. They ought to have gone with darker reins in my opinion, to leave the main attention on Achilles.
  • I wondered about the color of the horses. I don't like them black and intend to change them, so I looked up if their colors are known. Well what do you know they have names! Balius and Xanthus! These names mean "dappled" and "blond" so I'll try to get those colors, though I'm not sure if they made a dappled in that horse style. Also they were immortal, Patroclus tended them, and they cried when he bit the dust. A lot going on with those horses! All that being said, I did find one image of Achilles with two dark horses, though it looks like a (relatively modern) painting, so I suppose two blacks is not completely off. Still, I will change them.

Cyclops

• I'm sorry but the cyclops is silly, with that painting. If only Scooby Doo had fought the cyclops.

Icarus and pop

• Not sure I like the "bath towel" look but I suppose they didn't have a lot of choice once the wings were on. Oh well.
  • More birdlike wings would have been nice, but difficult to do I suppose, and "no new parts" for this theme sadly.

The colours are really nice overall in this theme. Can't wait for these sets! 

PS The sets don't seem to be listed on the Greek site yet, but they do have a colouring book of the gods available for download: https://www.playmobil.gr/content/play_arts_history_gods_2018/PLAY_ARTS_HISTORY_GODS_2018.html? - a version in Greek and one in English.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 16:08:37 by Macruran »
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2020, 18:36:06 »
You are aware that all high resolution images can be accessed with this link?

https: // media.playmobil.com/i/playmobil/SETNUMBER_product_detail (add the set number and remove the blank spaces before posting).

I do now!  :thanks: They are a bit higher res than the amclicks ones.

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2020, 23:47:02 »
Thanks for the detailed report, Macruran! :)9 It made me revisit the pics in happy anticipation.

I thinks it merits pointing out that Mount Olympus is the first 100% System-X building since time immemorial. Perhaps borne out of necessity (the inability to commission new parts, including humongous ones typically used for buildings these days), it is a real bonus for us adult fans: I just want to play with those Ionic columns! :yup:

Scribble in margin regarding the chicken: Pharaoh Thutmose III (15th century BC) in his annals expressed his surprise about birds among his booty/presents that lay eggs each day – the first chickens in the Mediterranean area back then already! They came from way east, India or thereabouts.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 23:58:23 by StJohn »

Offline PMatt

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2020, 10:37:30 »
Mount Olympus
  • Owl throne used for convenience, Zeus would have an eagle throne wouldn't he

Indeed, here's hoping Athena doesn't claim exclusive rights.  ;)

• Columns are Ionic, not Doric like in the Roman arena. I assume Ionic columns have appeared before?

comes to mind, something else too possibly.

• I like Dionysus's muttonchops! Also is that the first official appearance of the green laurel wreath?

They went for the "archaic" Dionysus appearance. As for the green wreath, so far it only came with an Aventura de la Historia klicky as far as I know.

By the way, the Charis did look familiar.

Argonauts
  • Green laurels again. Orpheus looks good, some white at his neck? Can't quite make out what's going on with his front.

It's somewhat odd they used the "old" skirt style rather than the more recent smooth one – though the same happened with Hestia if I'm not mistaken.

Seven Labours
  • And really, a lion hat wouldn't have been that hard to make. Come on PM!

Yeah, they kinda phoned it in.

Circe
  • Nice octopus shield. Wonder why they chose that symbol?

No idea really. I checked; turns out there is a brief passage in the Odyssey where Odysseus is compared to an octopus, but I'm not positive that's the reason.

The colours are really nice overall in this theme. Can't wait for these sets!

Same here! If only they had an international release straight-away...

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2020, 10:54:17 »

comes to mind, something else too possibly.

:roman: I'm learning so much here! Had never realised that the Ionic columns 30 24 3353 were available since 2015, but meanwhile have sold out in DS. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, PlaymoCollector! :wave:

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2020, 11:06:31 »
My guess would be that these sets contain parts in new colours and with new prints, but no new moulds. It must be a cost issue, especially since the intended market (Greece) is restricted. Just the sort of thing the PCC could have helped us non-Greek collectors to get hold of.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2020, 16:40:45 »
As for the green wreath, so far it only came with an Aventura de la Historia klicky as far as I know.

Yes, I've got two or three of those guys. One of the best klickies ever made in my opinion, and it's hidden away in a non-official line. Mine will be overjoyed to finally have more Greeks to talk to!

By the way, the Charis did look familiar.

Ah, didn't notice that she has a "click on" type of dress. Not familiar with those.

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2020, 03:37:34 »
When is the theme due for release in Greece?

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline NICO

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Greetings from Geobratia
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2020, 06:28:31 »
When is the theme due for release in Greece?

Sep 2020...  :lens:

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2020, 14:06:15 »
Earlier this week unfamiliar legs and other "Greek" accessories appeared on eBay, and quickly sold out. I got me some: the legs are those of the upcoming Odysseus, I believe, but does anybody recognize the belt and breast thingy?