Author Topic: Delta Queen - the Mississippi steamboat (Stopmotion)  (Read 5313 times)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
Re: Delta Queen - the Mississippi steamboat (Stopmotion)
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 02:56:33 »
Can't decide if I'm more impressed by cinemano's genius-level filmmaking, or his getting a hold of the prototype steamboat! Incredible work both ways!

One teensy carp though. This shot is anachronistic:

The green-red Portuguese flag was not adopted until 1911, long after the steamboat era on the mighty Mississip!  ;D

"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 06:27:31 »
The green-red Portuguese flag was not adopted until 1911, long after the steamboat era on the mighty Mississip!  ;D

Well.... I liked seeing it  ;D

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 08:41:59 »
prototype steamboat!

But is it? I've never seen it, only know of the tale that such a vessel was under design but got pulled. Is this what it was supposed to become? Or is this what cinemano thought it might have looked like? At least, that's what he implies:

It took me about 2 months to make the boat and the movie, but I think it's worth it.  ;D

Either way, absolutely beautiful. Many thanks for enriching the world with your work, cinemano!

Best wishes
StJohn

Offline PMatt

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 09:25:56 »
But is it? I've never seen it, only know of the tale that such a vessel was under design but got pulled.

A prototype was made, you can see it in this video! https://youtu.be/1dfU6WEBbO0?t=972 At any rate, I have no clue as to the origin of Cinemano's steamboat, and really I can't even tell what would be more impressing: him building such a faithful replica of the original, or him managing to acquire the only existing prototype of a never-released product.

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2020, 06:17:48 »
A prototype was made, you can see it in this video!

That's amazing! Thank you very much for the reference , PlaymoCollector!  :wow:

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2020, 14:22:00 »
The anachronistic flag(s) are on the boat in that video, so cinemano is actually being accurate to the PM, and PM is (as usual) at fault!  8-)

Offline doug

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2020, 03:19:56 »
Great video, Cinemano!

Love the attention to detail, like the pier post wriggling loose a bit!

How long did that project take.

Offline cinemano

• Cinemano
  • Playmo Enthusiast
  • Blahite!
    • Playmobil Films
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2020, 18:44:09 »
Thank you very much for your praising comments   :love:

Thanks for sharing such impressive work! May I ask for more information about the Delta Queen, did you build it from scratch?

I had to build it out of PVC and Playmobil pieces, looking over and over for details in the pixelated video of Hans Beck's interview. I also received help from the Playclicks forum, where Catenario built a wooden Delta Queen, so he sent me approximate measurements. It was fun doing it because I felt like an old-school Playmobil designer doing the clay details to make resin molds later.

I will forever love your work! I'm still eagerly awaiting the Pirate Movie! Also, I'd love to support your work at pitcoon! Is there no way for Americans/English Speakers to support you as well as gain exclusive access?

Thanks Janilew! I am preparing other platforms for fans to support my movies. Stay tuned to Cinemano's social media channels  :)

Haha! I printed the same flag stickers as the 3540 ship (which I have restored  >:D ) and thought Playmobil would have done that way (and is shown in Hans Beck's interview video)

How long did that project take.

It took me about a month or two. The most difficult part, apart from building the boat, was the CGI in the river shots.

Greetings from the Cinemano Studios   :wave:
Playmobil Stopmotion Films :D
->-> www.cinemano.es <-<-

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2020, 18:47:53 »
Cinemano posted a "behind the scenes" shot of the Delta Queen! Incredible that it's all done on a little table top!

https://twitter.com/cinemano/status/1260208752919281665

If anyone can't see it let me know and I will rehost the image.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2020, 19:44:56 »
Wow that is amazing how tight a space he is using for those shots. I guess when you are working for what the camera sees instead of a diorama for people to walk around you can go much tighter in the space being used.