Author Topic: 3450 Large Castle - interesting description  (Read 6055 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
3450 Large Castle - interesting description
« on: May 14, 2009, 14:10:27 »
Today I received a 3450 Large Castle still in its box (but not mint), first released in 1977. Full review in the fullness of time.

The plans (not I think the original plans) had this passage, in four languages:

So, at what point between 1977 and today did Playmobil decide that children no longer wanted the option of designing their own castles and houses, and were content to accept what they were given, and why? 

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
Re: 3450 Large Castle - interesting description
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 01:21:40 »
Nice find, Martin.  I don't exactly know what Playmobil is thinking.  I never had any Steck structures, but it seems most people liked them, so why change to System X?  At least it's expandable, but why not make the current Pirate Lighthouse and Egyptian structures expandable?
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 07:21:00 »
Nice find, Martin.  I don't exactly know what Playmobil is thinking.  I never had any Steck structures, but it seems most people liked them, so why change to System X?  At least it's expandable, but why not make the current Pirate Lighthouse and Egyptian structures expandable?

Actually, it wasn't a decision made by Geobra. The designers themselves were split between System-X and Steck. But Herr Director made the decision. He wanted System-X and so Steck was being terminated.

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 14:07:57 »
Is Brandstatter the sole owner of Geobra?

Offline Arizzo

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 23:36:08 »
Is Brandstatter the sole owner of Geobra?

yes, he is
Cheers
Arizzo

You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters. hehehe

Well I haven't written much lately, you say?
So what! Neither has Shakespeare!

Offline leefert

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 02:45:29 »
I love the Steck buildings because I've made many designs of the castle with them.  I recently got my first System X building and I'm not too sure I like it. 
I'm glad that I'm not the only one :)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 06:05:30 »
yes, he is

So a decision made by Geobra is essentially a decision made by Brandstatter.

What I don't get is why System X is now being set aside in most cases for totally un-modular buildings like the lighthouse.  Pretty soon they'll cast the whole building in one lump of plastic and have done.

Offline Arizzo

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 12:08:08 »
Hi Martin

So a decision made by Geobra is essentially a decision made by Brandstatter.
not always. meanwhile geobra is led by a couple of managers Brandstätter chosed (one of them is Andrea Schauer, responsible mainly for product development & marketing, and the other is a male - but I forgot the name - responsible for other aspects of the company).

So Brandstätter is still the sole owner, but most of the "business as usual" decisions are made by this couple. But I think on important decisions Brandstätter still has the last word.

What I don't get is why System X is now being set aside in most cases for totally un-modular buildings like the lighthouse.  Pretty soon they'll cast the whole building in one lump of plastic and have done.
This is a thing no one really understands. ::)
(or likes - at least on the german boards)

According to some interviews done with Andrea Schauer it is due to making the sets easier to assemble for parents and kids. And to minimize production costs (?).

Of course that way they left the trail of "everything fits together" concerning the combination of products when it comes to buildings. They earned a lot of harsh critic on the german boards for doing so. But unfortunately they seem to be unimpressed by this ...

regards

Cheers
Arizzo

You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters. hehehe

Well I haven't written much lately, you say?
So what! Neither has Shakespeare!

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 01:02:02 »

... meanwhile geobra is led by a couple of managers Brandstätter chosed (one of them is Andrea Schauer, responsible mainly for product development & marketing, and the other is a male - but I forgot the name - responsible for other aspects of the company).

And, here are a "couple of managers"! These are two of the people responsible for what Playmobil makes and sells. In the photo they are holding a replica of the Playmobil cargo ship Titan. The Titan replica is a beautiful cake created and baked by Andi (Customizer) for the 2005 Nürnberg Toy Fair.

see attachment
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 01:10:35 by Richard »