Author Topic: 4164 Pirate advent callendar content.  (Read 6793 times)

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
4164 Pirate advent callendar content.
« on: October 18, 2011, 15:19:01 »
I figured this set could use a good picture that clearly shows all the included items without the cardboard background which most of us probably won't use anyways.

It seems to be about right for 21 euros, plenty of usefull little items here and I love clutter like that.

There are a few odd pieces however, and things I would have prefered differently in this set.
There is a spoon for example, but nothing to put it in.
A normal sized barrel would have been good enough for that.
The little three headed rubber sea monster seems odd too, I am not a fan of it. More snakes or some fish might have been more usefull.
Not a fan of the ghost pirate and skeleton either, considering that advent is something religious, it could be seen as inappropriate.
A chimp, a set of gold pieces and maybe a lady pirate may have been a better choice.

And when not using the cardboard cut out there is the issue with the hammock since its on one side attached to it.
I found a solution by using the castaway island however.

Clickies are nice, theres a standard pirate guy that should blend in nicely with any crew, and a kid that might look a bit modern, but I gues he can work fine with the pirates too. Might just make him easy to use in modern settings.He could have used a hat or a little ragged vest to make it more clear he is a pirate kid.

I do have a question for those more familiar with playmobil skeletons and skulls, the seperate skull in this set has large eyeholes, is there a reason for this in any other set its included in? to put something in the eye sockets?

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
Re: 4164 Pirate advent callendar content.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 15:36:45 »
yes, it looks like a weird selection of objects.
btw what is the red square next to the spider?  ???
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 15:38:14 »
Thank you for these pics Rhalius! The klicky pirate looks very nice!! I agree with you on the odd parts and particularly on the spider. What is the string on the red cardboard for? And are those ''glow-in-the-dark'' monkeys? If they are then they arethe same as the one in the ghost ship? And what about that little fire that is not mainstream playmobil? does is flash?

As for the skull, nothing of the sort you are thinking. Its a good idea though. They should have included some rubys in any set including it. Great idea for the hammock too!!!

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 17:09:08 »
Yes the monkeys are glow in the dark. The spoon is there because it's made in the same mold as the spyglass and megaphone so why not go ahead and include it. It seems redundant to have 2 fires though. They should have dropped the old style one and added a full size barrel.

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 17:13:49 »
To me the contents look mostly like recycling of older and/or just discontinued parts again, nothing of the new stuff that comes with the updated pirates' theme is included (f.e. no new trousers, armsleeves, or accessories like the rapier).  :-\
The pirate looks much like the ones from the 90's, except he has Modern Theme-short sleeves (pirates' ragged sleeves or Egyptian-style ones would have been better IMHO).

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 18:03:32 »
The advent has nothing to do with religion.. it's a way to sell more... and it worked!  :P

If the 3 headed little guy is bothering you, send him over ;)  Same for the skeletons and skulls  - LOVE the human ones...

I don't much get the red barrels.. why are there red barrels? Why not brown?

I like the little monkeys... but the spider.. not that I don't like her... but I still couldn't bring myself to actually TOUCH ours  :-[  :-[

Offline joro75

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 18:14:06 »
but the spider.. not that I don't like her... but I still couldn't bring myself to actually TOUCH ours  :-[  :-[

:lol: :lol: I don't much like looking at it.....let alone touching it!!!!
The great man is he who does not lose his child's-heart.  ~Mencius, Book IV

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 18:15:33 »
To me the contents look mostly like recycling of older and/or just discontinued parts again, ...

Same here. and most of the accessories were also included in 4156 - Adventskalender 'Piratenlagune' In fact the ones in 4156 seems to be more.

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 18:26:24 »
The thing that looks like a fire looks more like some sort of crystal. It's very shiny.

The red square is a piece of paper with a thin white rope around it, intended for the spider to hang on, likes its making a web.
I don't plan on using it for that, might find another use for it.

Definatly a lot of older molds there, but I don't mind. Nothing really wrong with it and it does add plenty of usefull things to me, but then again my pirate collection isnt that big. Having a second treasure chest is certainly usefull, getting a bit tired of the cannons though since every single set I purchased from the new batch seems to include a canon aside from the castaway island.

But the only items here I dont see much use for would be the ghost pirate and the little dragon. And maybe the spider.
I do agree that that last pirate advent callendar looks better, I never saw it before.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 18:27:36 »
:lol: :lol: I don't much like looking at it.....let alone touching it!!!!

I've had two big scares with ours - they're zipped in one of the animals tubs, and TWICE I went.. "and this"? BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.  :-[  I feel so freakin stupid.