Author Topic: Discussion of Shoes Split From Re: 5136 Pirates with arsenal  (Read 5939 times)

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
Discussion of Shoes Split From Re: 5136 Pirates with arsenal
« on: September 02, 2011, 19:30:57 »
Yes, and most peasants probably too. But I don't like the look  ;)

Just because someone was a farmer doesn't mean they were stupid nor backward.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: Discussion of Shoes Split From Re: 5136 Pirates with arsenal
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 19:42:14 »
Just because someone was a farmer doesn't mean they were stupid nor backward.

I only said peasants probably didn't have shoes.. Not that they were stupid.   ???

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 20:45:17 »
I only said peasants probably didn't have shoes.. Not that they were stupid.   ???

Why and how would they not be wearing shoes if they had the brain capacity to know what a shoe was and how to utilize it and when and why?

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 20:52:18 »
Why and how would they not be wearing shoes if they had the brain capacity to know what a shoe was and how to utilize it and when and why?

??? ??? You're confusing me (and it's past my bedtime too). Are you serious?   :hmm: I just think a lot of people back then had no shoes. Most, actually.

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 21:06:00 »
??? ??? You're confusing me (and it's past my bedtime too). Are you serious?   :hmm: I just think a lot of people back then had no shoes. Most, actually.

And what, pray tell, is this assumption based upon?

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 21:11:06 »
Wesley, I think the reason for a person not having shoes would be that they are poor, not stupid. Shoes were a lot more expensive then than they are now.

Please try to be a little more polite in the way you express your opinions.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 21:12:39 »
Books and movies (I'm no expert :) ) - why do you think they did?

Regardless of historical accuracy (or lack of it), I don't like to see klickys with bare feet. A couple, ok.. More... meh. So I think when I get this set, that chinese guy is changing legs...

Edit:
Wesley, I think the reason for a person not having shoes would be that they are poor, not stupid. Shoes were a lot more expensive then than they are now.

Please try to be a little more polite in the way you express your opinions.

Thank you, that is what I meant.. Shoes were (me thinks, again, no expert - are you?)  a luxury, not something "common folk" would have.

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 22:35:51 »
Thank you, that is what I meant.. Shoes were (me thinks, again, no expert - are you?)  a luxury, not something "common folk" would have.

Shoes were around in the Middle ages, and peasants would have worn them.
There are tapestries and paintings depicting those of lower standing wearing shoes,
Especially in the late Medieval age, but also in the early period as well.

However, if I didn't know anything about the Medieval world,
I would probably make the assumption that they didn't wear shoes due to stories from the bible.
Jesus washing the feet of his disciples was the lowest social class task a man could do,
because people in Jesus' time (at least where he lived) did not wear shoes or sandals.

I am not sure when it became more common to wear shoes,
But I think in western culture, the wearing of shoes goes back fairly far.
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 22:43:44 »
Actually, in Jesus' time they did wear sandals, but they didn't cover very much of the foot, so their feet did get very dirty on dusty roads.

Interesting that in the medeival period poor people did have shoes. However it's not crazy to think anyone wouldn't. In Laura Ingalls Wilders accounts of her own childhood growing up in the US in the 1800s, children who lived out in the country, like herself, didn't wear shoes in the summer because generally they were poorer than the shop owners in towns, and they needed to preserve their shoes for the cold weather so they would not wear out. so there have been and still are some places where poor people, or at least their children, go without shoes.

However, as we couldn't possibly be any farther off topic if we were trying, I think it's time to split this topic. ;)
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 22:55:26 »
I don't know how people use to be back in the times, NO ONE has the truth, but poor people NOW don't have shoes. I see it everyday. :'(
So it is not that far from reality to assume in the past it was the same. They surelly were not stupid, no one said that. They just didn't have the means to get shoes.  :(

how did we get to talk about this? SPLIT HERE please!

EDIT____sorry I posted while you were splitting... move this one too  :lol:
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com