Author Topic: 3664 The beach  (Read 8836 times)

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
3664 The beach
« on: July 03, 2011, 21:42:47 »
It suddenly struck me that the Seaport and Beachtown Coastal Railway has no Playmobil beach related  sets, so I did a bit of quick checking out on the Playmobil website and started off by buying 3664, The beach, with my latest DS order (it was on the site as "last chance to buy". So here's a review.

The usual drill then starting with the box front:

and then the back:

Then the detail picss on the sides (I suppose on a food product these would be called "serving suggestions":

“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: 3664 The beach
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 21:49:34 »
On with the contents (and apologies for the backgrounds in the photos - this was a rush job while Diane watching the Wimbledon final).

The base plate is a single piece of rocks, sand and sea.  The sea is just blue coloured plastic and not the more recent water-looking sea:

The are some small plants to assemble to go in the sand (presumably it represents a northern European beach with grassy dunes:

The plans here are either ambiguous or wrong.  As you can see, they suggest that there is a plant made up of two green stems slotted together when, in fact, these are two separate plants:

The lookout post for the lifeguards is a two piece structure, a ladder and base:

and on top of that a crow's next type structure:

Here's a side view of it:

There is a small jetty which is supported on four "legs" which slot on:

The landward end of the jetty then fits into the rocks:

“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 21:54:22 »
Time for bed; to be continued.   :wave:

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 23:56:39 »
Thank you!

Looks like a good set.

Also looks like George when he was younger on the 'serving suggestions' pics.   :)

Offline Playmoholics

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 23:59:18 »
A fantastic set and a great review. I can't wait to see pictures of it near the train track  :wave:
Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is more people who have come alive – Howard Thurman.
I need Playmobil! 

Offline playmogal

• places for playmo women to go
  • Playmo Master
  • The bride and groom topper-my son's wedding cake
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 00:07:00 »
Gordon,
Thanks! Looks great in real life!
Must add it to my list, Pgal :wave:
After two decades of male toys (esp. Lego and PM) in our house, it is time to build something for us women!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 00:23:25 »
Serving suggestions... that's a good one! :lol: Thanks for reviewing this set!
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 07:53:04 »
Thanks for your comments, folks, here's the rest of the review.

Looking now at more detailed items, there is a flagpole and selection of flags to go on it which goes on the lookout post:

Here, I've put the green flag above the red (danger) one as there is an onshore breeze and so no chance of people being blown out to sea (but still a need to watch out for undercurrents of course.)

For the holidaymaker, there is a parasol which comes with a cranked pole:

Because the pole is cranked the parasol is on at an angle to allow the person under it to be in the sun or in the shade:

Something I forgot to mention is the seaweed draped over the rock.  A nice bit of detail but in my experience seaweed is never pale green, very dark green, brown maybe, but not light green.

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 08:07:00 »
Let's look at the lifeguards and their equipment now.

There are two lifeguards, a man and a woman.  The first is rather pale compared with the very suntanned blonde, maybe he's new to the job and so will get a suntan as the year goes on.

There equipment includes binoculars, a rescue float, a lifebelt (not shown in the picture below) and a jet ski.  One thing lacking, however, is a mobile 'phone so I'll add one.

The jet ski comes in three parts, the steering/control column, the hull and a torpedo shaped lead ballast weight which slides on to a projection on the bottom of the jet ski.  If the weight is not fitted, then the electric motor can be fitted instead.  (Tests and photos will follow.)

Here's a top view of it assembled:

and one showing the ballast weight in place:

Now, the lifeguards trying the jet ski out:

It's a nice looking little job, and it'll be interesting to see how it goes with the motor.

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 08:08:37 »
The fly screen over the back door has just come unstuck, so I'll break off here and will continue later today.